Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pgarcia View Post
    Palm brand is still very remembered in Europe too...
    Where?

I remember, back in the day, we all had Palm Pilots but that was all over a decade ago and the treos were (from what I remember) only a marginal success outside of the US. Nothing since has sold in any great numbers.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Where?

I remember, back in the day, we all had Palm Pilots but that was all over a decade ago and the treos were (from what I remember) only a marginal success outside of the US. Nothing since has sold in any great numbers.
    About 5 years ago, Centro was in Vodafone Portugal, and in about that time there were also some remaining Palm PDAs on retail shops, there were Tungsten T2, T3 and T5 and also Vx as far I remember...

Palm never had a official (office)/shops in Portugal so in countries like UK/France/Germany I believe the brand is more in the peoples minds then here.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Where?

Was mobile internet popular in Europe a decade ago ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    BTW, a 360 degree turn would have things heading in the same direction they are now... What would be needed is a 180 degree turn, or maybe a 90 degree turn. Just sayin
    Well they could bust a 540 just to be showoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by pgarcia View Post
    This can be stupid because its like a 180 deg turn, but after the HP turn back with their decision I think everything is possible now...

So after reed the link on the post bellow, I was thinking if there is possible to rewind to the original Palm Brand but subsidized from HP now only as software company and PSG responsible to make hardware like PC's, printers etc?
    Maybe that "new Palm" could also try to negotiate with 3rd party companies to build WebOS smartphones.

I could live with that =)

'
    i think it is highly unlikely for many reasons.

Palm as a brand is not popular. It was a decade ago but it has little cache outside of those that have some long standing love for the brand. I think we've seen from Pre minus, pixi sales etc that those people are not nearly enough to sustain a profitable business. Sure there are people that love that brand. But not remotely enough. They'd have been better off buying Beats by Dre and launching under that because honestly, It's got more brand power these days. Palm is old.

Don't think it makes financial sense. Whether its separate under palm or together in the PSG if HP is funding it you're back to the same problem they had under Palm and under HP. They didn't sell enough devices to keep it a profitable business. I know Precentral people don't care or think that time will mean more people will buy the devices. But in the business world that's a major leap of faith. Look at the Zune. At some point they just stopped because even with time it was not gonna become a major player. Even with a loyal following. Additionally if HP has already said they basically didn't want to fund what's needed to make webos work splitting, naming it Palm, and still having hp funding it seems like a nonstarter. It's a company with financial issues now anyways. I think it's gonna be hard to sell the expense of webos.

Now in your favor. HP has a history of hiring morons, making dumb decisions, and being a rather poorly run company. I think Meg Whitman is probably more of the same. I don't remotely think HP has what it takes in style, knowledge, or marketing to develop a product that is remotely cool enough to capture the opinion of people and to sell well. And if they tried to revive webos i'd bet they'd screw that up and all of HP in the process. But with that stupidity i think there's a chance they'd be dumb enough to try.

Personally i think it would cost billions to make webos work and you need a company willing to take that kinda loss over a sustained period and i'm can't think of many companies willing or able to do that in this climate.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Where?

Interesting, as I remember it the Pilots were marginalised by Psion who were big at the time in the UK. It was not until the Treos (600 and 650 in particular) that I started hearing people (other than online forums) talk about Palm. Coincidently that was about the time that Psion died after selling the OS to the Symbian group.
    This would not be ther first time Palm is revived as a company.

Infact, if memory serves correct it would be the 4th.

Palm > 3Com > US Robotics > PalmOne > Access > Palm > HP > Palm
    the wait and resurrect plan hasnt worked out too well for amigaOS either im still waiting for an amiga one x1000 + amigaOS4.2 coming soon(tm).

resurrections, well, they can take a hell of a while to occur, depends how die hard your communities die hards really are in the end.

personally...... i can wait.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Interesting, as I remember it the Pilots were marginalised by Psion who were big at the time in the UK. It was not until the Treos (600 and 650 in particular) that I started hearing people (other than online forums) talk about Palm. Coincidently that was about the time that Psion died after selling the OS to the Symbian group.
    I had a 600 and a 650, I seem to remember that my eye was then caught by a cheeky little Nokia e71 (loved the keyboard on that device) which ran rings around the treos for reliableness.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12