Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    optimism: it might be they are getting interest in webos from a purchaser but have nothing to report yet.
    todd what is your tab strategy to win agnst compet?
    answer: at begin stages new segment
    msft compelling work
    work we are doing in ultra mobile space is compelling
    meg: focused on 2012 guidance
    do few things well instead of everything
    hmmn sound like she spoke to jobs
    hr it systems need to be refined

my comment
    so she rules out phones and tabs are frm msft so where could webos fit?
    Think they haven't yet decided will they sell webOS at all.
    is ultramobile win phone?
    no, 17 ml notebooks

meg:consumeriz of tech means ceos worried abt secur so she will provide products w secur that consumers like
    cloud
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Think they haven't yet decided will they sell webOS at all.
    I agree, but all the focus on windows is not a good sign for the health of webOS going forward.
    webos is done at HP; please sell.

*again, my opinion
    They said no decision yet on WebOS but that's the next thing they are working on.

They are committed to doing a Win8 tablet.

IMO that means they are still shopping WebOS to a buyer. Win8 has some real promise in the tablet arena, so I'm not surprised at this.
    well that call was much better than the earnings call I streamed on the TP in August.... love my TP with flash

Next up November 21st call
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    They simply have no clue what to do with webOS.
    This means they have no buyers for webOs and now have to go back to the drawing board on the next step.
    Bought the family touchpads and love dual boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
    This means they have no buyers for webOs and now have to go back to the drawing board on the next step.
    why would you think that any of those statements mean that?

it could just as easily mean that we are entertaining bids but don't yet have anything to announce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    why would you think that any of those statements mean that?

it could just as easily mean that we are entertaining bids but don't yet have anything to announce.
    Or they've determined they want to license or farm out the hardware side.

Some of the comments on enterprise, and mobile devices make me think maybe they want to try and keep Palm/webOS to help get "HP" devices in hands.

Then again it could mean they have made the decision to go with Windows Phone to pair with Win8, but they are just smarter than Leo and don't want to devalue the parts of webOS they want to sell.

I said it in August, if Leo wasn't so focused on turning HP into a software company, he would not have killed webOS then tried to shop it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Yup, the boss just sent out an email to all employees.

Apparently we're having a meeting tomorrow. I'm sure someone will ask about WebOS.
    Please let us know what the results of that meeting are, and if possible, advocate for us to keep it alive.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    They would approach webOS to the possible buyers this way. You can either continue to use Android software, which is inferior to our product and for the tablets has fewer apps, and will tie you in endless litigation with Apple in every country in which you attempt to sell your devices. Litigation that may result in you not being able to sell any devices on which you have spent countless resources for R&D/marketing etc.; only to see it wiped out for patent infringement by the local courts. Or, hp will license you webOS and give you a superior OS without the never ending costs of litigation with Apple and the uncertainty that comes along with it.

Samsung is seeing their product get boxed in as Apple pursues them aggressively for patent infringement with Android. Samsung built quality devices but is relying on questionable software from Google. Samsung gets what it pays for, but it seems to me that this is way more expensive than whatever benefit they derive from receiving a free OS.

That is how I would be selling webOS if I was HP. Attempting to agressively license it across the spectrum of Android device makers. Some may want to pursue their own OS like Samsung but I think that in the long term that is a limiting strategy if hp can get a few other manufacturers on board. HP has good apps for the Touchpad and they would be fools not to leverage that while they can.
    While I really like webOS, with and without preware hacks - a TouchPad (with slightly more and/or better hardware) loaded with Windows8 would make you all forget about webOS pretty quickly.
    philliprobert likes this.
    Ehhhhhh, i don't know about that.
    cj-m likes this.
    looks like they are going to use webOS in servers through this ARM based technology.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjacobs View Post
    They would approach webOS to the possible buyers this way. You can either continue to use Android software, which is inferior to our product and for the tablets has fewer apps, and will tie you in endless litigation with Apple in every country in which you attempt to sell your devices. Litigation that may result in you not being able to sell any devices on which you have spent countless resources for R&D/marketing etc.; only to see it wiped out for patent infringement by the local courts. Or, hp will license you webOS and give you a superior OS without the never ending costs of litigation with Apple and the uncertainty that comes along with it.

Samsung is seeing their product get boxed in as Apple pursues them aggressively for patent infringement with Android. Samsung built quality devices but is relying on questionable software from Google. Samsung gets what it pays for, but it seems to me that this is way more expensive than whatever benefit they derive from receiving a free OS.

That is how I would be selling webOS if I was HP. Attempting to agressively license it across the spectrum of Android device makers. Some may want to pursue their own OS like Samsung but I think that in the long term that is a limiting strategy if hp can get a few other manufacturers on board. HP has good apps for the Touchpad and they would be fools not to leverage that while they can.
    LOL, wut? WebOS has a few apps, but they are almost all pretty mediocre quality. Every Android manufacturer has been making money hand over fist and every manufacturer who has touched WebOS has lost . . .A LOT of money.

And Samsung is now the worldwide leader in phone sales thanks to Android. You seriously think they are gonna be like, "Oh yea, lets abandon this #1 in the world spot we just took from Apple and put an OS on our devices that has been a proven failure." I SERIOUSLY can't imagine what you are thinking here. What POSSIBLE reason would Samsung have to move to WebOS? I mean in the real world, considering that Android has made them RIDICULOUS amounts of money. . . .

Anyone who licensed WebOS would be fired as a CEO by their board immediately. The OWNER of WebOS doesn't even want it. Yet you think they are gonna license it out to various manufacturers? My entire mind has been boggled fully by your post. It makes literally zero sense to me.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    LOL, wut? WebOS has a few apps, but they are almost all pretty mediocre quality. Every Android manufacturer has been making money hand over fist and every manufacturer who has touched WebOS has lost . . .A LOT of money.

And Samsung is now the worldwide leader in phone sales thanks to Android. You seriously think they are gonna be like, "Oh yea, lets abandon this #1 in the world spot we just took from Apple and put an OS on our devices that has been a proven failure." I SERIOUSLY can't imagine what you are thinking here. What POSSIBLE reason would Samsung have to move to WebOS? I mean in the real world, considering that Android has made them RIDICULOUS amounts of money. . . .

Anyone who licensed WebOS would be fired as a CEO by their board immediately. The OWNER of WebOS doesn't even want it. Yet you think they are gonna license it out to various manufacturers? My entire mind has been boggled fully by your post. It makes literally zero sense to me.
    I guess as Samsung has done with WP when it was first announced, they can get some phones with webOS to get some publicity and to have potential future investment.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Because I am so nice to you people

Goldman Sachs Analyst: In light of this decision, can you give us an update about how you are think about your tablet market strategy both short-term and longer-term.

Todd Bradley: That thinking hasn’t changed; we are continuing to focus on a Microsoft based tablet that we have and ones that we will develop on windows 8. I think from a WebOS perspective that is the next piece of work to complete. Em… I know that Meg and I are working… meg, the whole team Cathy, Jon Rubinstein myself are working very very hard and as quickly as we can to make the right decisions about that product.

Meg: Yeah, let me just add, I think we need to be in the tablet business, we are certainly going to be there with Windows 8, so we are going to make another run at this business. We will make a long-term decision about the future of WebOS over the next couple of months. As soon as we make that decision, we’ll let you know on that. Cause many people have said to me “isn’t the webOS system completely tied to PSG?” and the answer to that is actually no. WebOS obviously has use in the PSG business and other business that we have. We have to make a more holistic decision around webOS – ‘coming to a town near you soon’ I hope.

Analyst: just to be clear, you mean WebOS the software not the tablets?

Meg: Yes, correct, the software.

A bit later:

Analyst: - is it too late for HP to compete against Android and ios in the tablet market?

Todd: We are at the start of a new stage of personal computing, I hardly think a couple of months, I would clarify as thinking as not being too late. I think the work we are doing with Microsoft is very compelling and I think the work we are doing in other categories in the ultra-mobile space will be very very competitive. It is a competitive business that moves very very quickly.

and a bit later:

Meg: However, we don’t expect to make any big announced before the Q3 call on 21st November.
    Last edited by CGK; 10/28/2011 at 05:30 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast