Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Stephen Di Franco: HP continues to work on a better business model around webOS. PSG will continue.

Today news about HP webOS and the spin-off or not of the HP´s PSG and for tonights PC podcast "uncertainty" derek

HP webOS:

The company is also developing another facet of mobility, WebOS. Despite closing down its TouchPad tablet business earlier this year, HP continues to work on a better business model around the mobile operating system, said DiFranco.

HP PSG:

“The organization you know as PSG will continue, whether that’s somewhat independent or completely within HP,” said Stephen DiFranco, senior vice president and general manager, PSG, Americas, at HP, during a keynote. “I need a few more weeks of your patience. As soon as we know, you’ll know.”

Former eBay executive Meg Whitman, who joined HP as chairwoman in September, has said she wants to decide PSG’s next path by the end of October. As part of that process, HP is reviewing the factors that have made it the world’s largest buyer of hard drives, memory, disk drives and other computer components, DiFranco said.

As the company considers PSG’s future, HP’s resources are also centered on new products, categories and strategies designed to help solution providers continue selling the brand into enterprise and SMB accounts.
    “The things I’m really focused on are making sure we’re focusing on bringing products to consumers, commercial and SMBs,” DiFranco told Channel Insider.

One over-reaching theme is to brand HP consistently so buyers—both corporate and consumer—are better aware of the HP name and the full range of the vendor’s varied and expansive product line, he said. Apple, for example, has done a good job of making its products immediately recognizable among other vendors’ offerings, said DiFranco.

“HP wants to do the same,” he said.

We are five days away from the end of October 2011. What would be the final decisions about webOS and HP PSG ?

Full Article:
    HP's channel sales grew in the most recent quarter, in spite of the uncertainty around the future path of the HP Personal Systems Group which includes the company's PC business. But that uncertainty will end soon, promised top executive and former Channel Chief Stephen DiFranco.

Despite uncertainty surrounding the future path of HP’s Personal Systems Group, channel sales grew in the most recent quarter and solution providers will continue to play a key role in HP’s ongoing success, no matter what the company ultimately decides to do with PSG, a top executive told attendees at Synnex’s recent partner conference.

“The organization you know as PSG will continue, whether that’s somewhat independent or completely within HP,” said Stephen DiFranco, senior vice president and general manager, PSG, Americas, at HP, during a keynote. “I need a few more weeks of your patience. As soon as we know, you’ll know.”

In part, DiFranco was on-hand to thank solution providers for their support. In part, he flew to Greenville, S.C., to share information, in-person, about HP’s much-publicized August 18 decision to potentially sell-off PSG.

“This partner community is not just selling HP. They’re keeping their customers on HP,” DiFranco told Channel Insider, in an interview after the keynote. “That’s a phenomenal statement about the depth of the relationship. It’s an opportunity to remind ourselves about how important it is to respect and earn this trust. Because that’s what it was: It’s trust.”

Former eBay executive Meg Whitman, who joined HP as chairwoman in September, has said she wants to decide PSG’s next path by the end of October. As part of that process, HP is reviewing the factors that have made it the world’s largest buyer of hard drives, memory, disk drives and other computer components, DiFranco said.

As the company considers PSG’s future, HP’s resources are also centered on new products, categories and strategies designed to help solution providers continue selling the brand into enterprise and SMB accounts.

“The things I’m really focused on are making sure we’re focusing on bringing products to consumers, commercial and SMBs,” DiFranco told Channel Insider.

One over-reaching theme is to brand HP consistently so buyers—both corporate and consumer—are better aware of the HP name and the full range of the vendor’s varied and expansive product line, he said. Apple, for example, has done a good job of making its products immediately recognizable among other vendors’ offerings, said DiFranco.

“HP wants to do the same,” he said.

Similarly, HP is looking to integrate consumer-friendly or consumer-attractive features and capabilities into its enterprise-oriented technologies. This closely maps the consumerization of IT, brought on in large part by the invasion of smartphones, tablets and apps that IT departments must now integrate and support.

HP has seen big demand for its mobile workstations, designed for data-hungry executives and employees previously tethered to their desks because earlier iterations of notebooks were unable to process the engineering, large accounting files, or graphic designs they needed to access, said DiFranco.

“A lot of people thought we were investing where there wasn’t a demand. I have, for the third quarter in a row, not been able to ship all the orders I have,” he said. “Mobile workstations are a phenomenon. It’s giving mobility and portability to workstation users. Mobile workstations are truly fast notebooks.”

The company is also developing another facet of mobility, WebOS. Despite closing down its TouchPad tablet business earlier this year, HP continues to work on a better business model around the mobile operating system, said DiFranco.

HP plans to release ultrabooks for SMBs within the next few months, he said. These lightweight notebooks play off the company’s view of the blending worlds of consumers and corporate, and will be priced with the channel in mind, said DiFranco, without giving further details.

“We will still make it financially beneficial for you to be an HP PSG franchise,” he told Synnex channel partners.

The market, of course, is not standing still as HP determines PSG’s future. Already, some once-loyal HP customers are considering alternatives, a Dell-sponsored IDC poll, out today, found. Two-thirds of current or prospective HP customers with 500 employees said they are concerned by HP’s changes in business strategy and leadership, the study found. Forty-one percent of those surveyed said they are reconsidering an alternative server vendor; 49 percent of respondents are considering new or additional PC vendors, the study said.

HP PSG Decision Coming Soon: DiFranco - Hewlett Packard news from Channel Insider
    SeighWatt and fmarcanojr like this.
    Interesting.
    So I hear a new theme--weaving consumerization into enterprise. And also better unified branding. This sounds more like a consumer-oriented CEO like Whitman would say.

But I don't know what it means to build "a better business model around webOS."
    Are they keeping it?
    Why did Kerris leave then? If they are keeping it, it sounds like he doesn't believe in HP long-term around webOS.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Still clueless. I think they will keep the PSG, they have mostly made the decision but trying to look careful and deliberate about it in contrast to Leo's wild and reckless. Decision by the end of October means this week or Monday. Although HP hasn't done well with deadlines lately.

All the talk about having a distinctive brand and linking consumer and enterprise products and technologies just feels sad and empty without WebOS products. They had something distinctive. Now what are they going to do? A new logo? A new company-wide color scheme? Computers are commodities, I don't think they have the slightest idea how to change that.
    Better business model around WebOS...

I bet It is not a phone or tablet anymore.....
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Interesting.
    So I hear a new theme--weaving consumerization into enterprise. And also better unified branding. This sounds more like a consumer-oriented CEO like Whitman would say.

Are they keeping it?
    Why did Kerris leave then? If they are keeping it, it sounds like he doesn't believe in HP long-term around webOS.
    Organizations use a business model to create, deliver and capture value (value might be in the economic field for HP).

This process is part of business strategy: purpose, offerings, strategies, infrastructure, organizational structures, trading practices, and operational processes and policies.

The essence of a business model is that it defines the manner by which the business enterprise delivers value to customers, entices customers to pay for value, and converts those payments to profit: it thus reflects management’s hypothesis about what customers want, how they want it, and how an enterprise can organize to best meet those needs, get paid for doing so, and make a profit.

Business models are used to describe and classify businesses (especially in an entrepreneurial setting), but they are also used by managers inside companies to explore possibilities for future development. Also, well known business models operate as recipes for creative managers.

About R Kerris leave , despite there wasa PC FP post based on webosroundup contact they made via phone, I think to HP , there is not an HP official announcement of it, at this time yet.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Still clueless. I think they will keep the PSG, they have mostly made the decision but trying to look careful and deliberate about it in contrast to Leo's wild and reckless. Decision by the end of October means this week or Monday. Although HP hasn't done well with deadlines lately.

All the talk about having a distinctive brand and linking consumer and enterprise products and technologies just feels sad and empty without WebOS products. They had something distinctive. Now what are they going to do? A new logo? A new company-wide color scheme? Computers are commodities, I don't think they have the slightest idea how to change that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post

Probably next week for the decision news. Agree HP is clueless at this time yet in how to make webOS re-boot if they are keeping it, as it looks until now, apparently.
    Are they keeping it?
    It just shows that they still don't know what they want to do with it.

The official release may say that Kerris left for better opportunities, but I suspect they wanted someone who could actually get stuff done, which Kerris couldn't do.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Organizations use a business model to create, deliver and capture value (value might be in the economic field for HP).

This process is part of business strategy: purpose, offerings, strategies, infrastructure, organizational structures, trading practices, and operational processes and policies.

The essence of a business model is that it defines the manner by which the business enterprise delivers value to customers, entices customers to pay for value, and converts those payments to profit: it thus reflects management’s hypothesis about what customers want, how they want it, and how an enterprise can organize to best meet those needs, get paid for doing so, and make a profit.

Business models are used to describe and classify businesses (especially in an entrepreneurial setting), but they are also used by managers inside companies to explore possibilities for future development. Also, well known business models operate as recipes for creative managers.

About R Kerris leave , despite there wasa PC FP post based on webosroundup contact they made via phone, I think to HP , there is not an HP official announcement of it, at this time yet.
    Sorry I meant I don't know what business model they are now using. I'm looking for concrete answers like:
    customer base they will sell to
    geographic areas
    type of device (whether hardware or software units)
    and eventually,
    price of device as it gets closer to launch (could be a ways off to get that one)

edit: and where is DeWitt in all of this, only DiFranco seems to be talking
    re: Kerris, if he has an opportunity lined up, he may have agreed to wait a few weeks to announce it, either to take a vacation or to wait until Meg announces webOS decision.

edit2: I bet he goes to Nokia
    Last edited by bluenote; 10/26/2011 at 09:57 PM.
  9.    #9  
    R Kerris profile on Linkedin stills http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...n_US&trk=tyah2

and nothing he is saying yet on his blog: My Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post

POS systems... i.e. cash registers. Mark my words. And definitely it'll look nothing like what we are used to today.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    POS systems... i.e. cash registers. Mark my words. And definitely it'll look nothing like what we are used to today.
    HP: This isn't your father's cash register
    10-2008 : This isn't your father's cash register

Microsoft POS bundle with HP Touch Screen

ps: I think it would be a really cruel thing to do if so, lead us all on with operating system refreshes, apps, even better phone apps--then turn it into a cash register software system.
    Last edited by bluenote; 10/26/2011 at 10:23 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Sorry I meant I don't know what business model they are now using. I'm looking for concrete answers like:
    customer base they will sell to
    geographic areas
    type of device (whether hardware or software units)
    and eventually,
    price of device as it gets closer to launch (could be a ways off to get that one)

edit: and where is DeWitt in all of this, only DiFranco seems to be talking
    re: Kerris, if he has an opportunity lined up, he may have agreed to wait a few weeks to announce it, either to take a vacation or to wait until Meg announces webOS decision.

edit2: I bet he goes to Nokia
    IMO What you ask is what HP don´t know yet.

Stephen DeWitt is nowhere on the news after I did some web browsing.

Yes Kerris might be on hold until Meg final webOS decision.
    IMO What you ask is what HP don´t know yet.

Stephen DeWitt is nowhere on the news after I did some web browsing.

Yes Kerris might be on hold until Meg final webOS decision.
    either don't know or know but waiting to announce until end of quarter or earnings call

edit--confirmed kerris at nokia
    Last edited by bluenote; 10/27/2011 at 06:57 AM.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    either don't know or know but waiting to announce until end of quarter or earnings call

confirmed where?

edit: - ah just seen it on Twitter - yep - Global head of developer relations.

Despite closing down its TouchPad tablet business earlier this year, HP continues to work on a better business model around the mobile operating system, said DiFranco.
    This is corporate speak for "We have no idea how to make any revenue off this but we'll keep thinking about it until the boss pulls the plug".
  15.    #15  

bluenote Do you have a cristal ball, your guess was right. Maybe I would ask you the probably numbers for this week lottery eh.
    webOS to end its life in a glorified cash register? I bet this would only be the start of a mud-drag only comparable to Amiga.

PS: Me too want bluenote's crystal ball!
  17.    #17  
    Some words I hardly heard on the recent HP audio webcast:

Todd Bradley: Meg Whitman and Jon are working together to make a decision in a couple of months about WebOS.

However I expect something new on the Nov 21st HP earnigs conference call. ???

The questions are:

Are there some negotiations for selling webOS not cleared up yet? Are they taking some more time for it ?

Are they really thinking in a new webOS business model?
    Last edited by akitayo; 10/27/2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: m
    Are there some negotiations for selling webOS not cleared up yet? Are they taking some more time for it ?

Are they really thinking in a new webOS business model?
    My guess is the "new business model" is licensing it to other ODMs to manufacture devices with. With the amount of litigation going on against Android, and the amount of money Android ODMs are paying to Microsoft, adding another option of operating systems they could build devices for isn't necessarily a bad thing. Samsung, LG, and HTC all build Android phones and Windows Phone 7 phones, no reason they couldn't also make a webOS model or two as well. The hardware isn't really that different. Sammy/HTC/LG all seem content to make the WP7 phones despite not fantastic sales, and are committed to make more. Not to mention lower tier ODMs who were audibly unhappy about the Google-Motorola deal and said they would look at other options.

Basically, there is a market - however small it is now/will be in the future - and it will just take one ODM to put webOS on newer hardware designs at a faster pace, then HP stands some chance at recouping any of their $1.2b investment in Palm. Not saying it will sell like hotcakes without some serious work/marketing/optimization, but 5% of a multi billion dollar market is still a good lot of money. It's a lot better than throwing it in the trash, or selling it for patent/scrap.

There aren't many companies out there who would have the capital AND the R&D talent/capabilities to buy webOS outright and continue to develop it. That company, if they exist and were to buy webOS, would effectively become the next RIM. A lonely island in the middle of a very big sea.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    HP continues to work on a better business model
    Hard to envision them possibly having a worse business model than the last two months. Almost anything would be an improvement.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    My guess is the "new business model" is licensing it to other ODMs to manufacture devices with. With the amount of litigation going on against Android, and the amount of money Android ODMs are paying to Microsoft, adding another option of operating systems they could build devices for isn't necessarily a bad thing. Samsung, LG, and HTC all build Android phones and Windows Phone 7 phones, no reason they couldn't also make a webOS model or two as well. The hardware isn't really that different. Sammy/HTC/LG all seem content to make the WP7 phones despite not fantastic sales, and are committed to make more. Not to mention lower tier ODMs who were audibly unhappy about the Google-Motorola deal and said they would look at other options.

Basically, there is a market - however small it is now/will be in the future - and it will just take one ODM to put webOS on newer hardware designs at a faster pace, then HP stands some chance at recouping any of their $1.2b investment in Palm. Not saying it will sell like hotcakes without some serious work/marketing/optimization, but 5% of a multi billion dollar market is still a good lot of money. It's a lot better than throwing it in the trash, or selling it for patent/scrap.

There aren't many companies out there who would have the capital AND the R&D talent/capabilities to buy webOS outright and continue to develop it. That company, if they exist and were to buy webOS, would effectively become the next RIM. A lonely island in the middle of a very big sea.
    The first paragraph of what you said might be a possibility. However new words have come to the discussion: HOLYSTIC DECISION ???

Source: http://www.precentral.net/whitman-we...ext-few-months

Dissecting webOS to see what part could work and for what ?
    or was just a way of speaking instead, it will take some time ?
    We have to go deep on it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast