Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FenrirWolf
  • 1 Post By c000
  • 1 Post By c000
  1.    #1  
    Do you think LG could make good WebOS? I honestly think they might but they have had trouble with Android phones? Truth be told it would be better then LG making WebOS products.
    LG WebOS... nay nay nay....

but I think it is the best option for now
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    LG WebOS... nay nay nay....

but I think it is the best option for now
    Sony would be the best, oh well we talked about it a million times.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    this gave me an idea. can anyone conceive the notion of webOs being on televisions? as strange as it might sound i could see it working on that kind of format (minus the touch aspect )
    they could make phones. My question is why would they want to and do they have the enourmous amount of money needed to make a competing platform and are they truly willing to take billions in losses for years because i think that's what it would take to compete with android and ios phones. Mostly because you need more form factors, to actually pay tons and tons of companies (not merely indy developers) for mainstream games, you need to R&D new phones, fix software issues like adding a software keyboard. i just think it's a big ask for all but Google and Microsoft and a few others like Samsung because most companies can't sustain losses like that for long periods of time. I mean they make phones and screens and stuff so that's good (along with tons of appliances and stuff, kinda like samsung). The other thing is LG phones in general are not exactly standout phones so i have little faith that an LG webos phone would fair much different as LG phones work but rarely draw a ton of attention. They make nice looking appliances though.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    this gave me an idea. can anyone conceive the notion of webOs being on televisions? as strange as it might sound i could see it working on that kind of format (minus the touch aspect )
    yes. i thought about it long ago and honestly i concluded "Why in it's current form would i want webos on a tv? I don't see any point for any computer or tablet operating system to be on a tv at the moment. I'd think the interface would need to be reworked to be used at a farther distance.

TV is largely about media consumption so id think it would need to be more like appletv, windows media, xbox 360 interface etc. Plus it's kinda a problem that it doesn't do netflix. I just think i'm not against it but it needs to look a lot different to be on a tv and it has to do some different things.

i'm not saying nobody has use for these operating systems on a tv but i don't think the average tv consumer really wants that in their present forms.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Well Clie WebOS should be great , and it will be better then xperia
    Considering the way Sony has handled PS3 modding, I don't think they'd like the open aspects of webOS.
    bluenote likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    yes. i thought about it long ago and honestly i concluded "Why in it's current form would i want webos on a tv? I don't see any point for any computer or tablet operating system to be on a tv at the moment. I'd think the interface would need to be reworked to be used at a farther distance.

granted the current form of webOs isnt ideal. a few things would have the be altered to fit in the tv format/usability. but i think it could work and at least something better than that google tv thing, or those 'widgets' most bd players and tv sets come with these days.

also, looks like one other company is possibly considering this idea too. DailyTech - Report: iTunes Creator's New Project is Apple LCD TV
    bluenote likes this.
    granted the current form of webOs isnt ideal. a few things would have the be altered to fit in the tv format/usability. but i think it could work and at least something better than that google tv thing, or those 'widgets' most bd players and tv sets come with these days.

also, looks like one other company is possibly considering this idea too. DailyTech - Report: iTunes Creator's New Project is Apple LCD TV
    i didnt' read the whole thing but i skimmed it and i didn't notice anywhere were they were saying they were going to take a mobile phone platform ios and put it on a tv. it does mention that apple tv is a stipped down version of ios but it even says "presumbably running ios." That's the author presuming that's not a statement from the itunes creator either. It's pure writer speculation. My guess is they'd alter apple tv's because a phone/tablet interface does not work on a tv. Even so again, they'd have to change it a ton in webos.

But personally i don't see any reason to have any mobile phone operating system on a tv as they are currently constructed. That's not how i want to interact with my tv. i got a wdtv and it's great. it does netflix and facebook, youtube and other stuff. it plays music and every video i can throw at it. That's the sort of thing i want. But i see nothing that webos specifically adds. I'm surely not gonna be up on my tv flipping cards with my fingers. it's not even a touchscreen tv.

if you want to alter webos fine but that's a completely different animal. that's not the webos i know. Nobody has even defined what that would be. I've seen ten foot interfaces and they vary. The devil is in the details and we have none. But webos right now isn't close to a ten foot interface needed for tv use. Whatever it is the user interface would have to be altered and you'd lose what made it stand out, cards, since you're not gonna really be swiping much on a tv.

don't get me wrong i'm not saying it couldn't be done just that webos today isn't what i'd want on a tv it would have to change.
    LG actually seems lika a possible match.

LG posts a net loss for Q3, loses ground in mobile sales -- Engadget

LG is facing tough competition in the mobile space. Maybe webOS can be something they are interested in so that they can differentiate them from others?
    Last edited by Swedish Berserk; 10/26/2011 at 09:07 AM.
    anyone willing is better than nothing...
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    At this point I would take anyone... Watching Nokia world made me wish Nokia bought it or MS with Nokia partnership for the extra capital MS can provide.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    That's the author presuming that's not a statement from the itunes creator either. It's pure writer speculation.

well i did say "possibly considering" in my comment. nowhere did i say "this is 100% fact"

I'm surely not gonna be up on my tv flipping cards with my fingers. it's not even a touchscreen tv.
    i did say "minus the touch aspect" above. a person could easily flip cards with <^v> buttons that a remote could have. if you havent seen a google tv remote it looks something like this http://www.engadget.com/photos/sonys...tline/#3439778
    Last edited by illli; 10/26/2011 at 10:55 AM.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by glamdring View Post
    At this point I would take anyone... Watching Nokia world made me wish Nokia bought it or MS with Nokia partnership for the extra capital MS can provide.
    A combintation of Meego and webOS if Nokia bought webOS would prove to be interesting.

Both Meego and webOS have very similar frameworks and designs, as well as their overall UI and concept, so much so that Peter Skillman, the designer of webOS was hired to work on Meego, and Ari Jaaksi the leader of Meego was hired to head up webOS.

It would be a good combo in my opinion, and to see the two of them, both very respected overseers of mobile UI's working together would be excellent.

Plus, Nokia's hardware is awesome, but Meego is even more lacking than webOS.

It would be win win for both of them, if only their new president hadn't put windows 7 on the devices.

My hope is that is just a temporary move, much like Palm did back with the Treos while it was building its new OS
    How would you even pitch that idea? "Hey, let's bring 2 failed and dead operating systems together!"
    well i did say "possibly considering" in my comment. nowhere did i say "this is 100% fact"

i did say "minus the touch aspect" above. a person could easily flip cards with <^v> buttons that a remote could have. if you havent seen a google tv remote it looks something like this Sony's Google TV controller on Nightline - Engadget Galleries
    Totally understood and i did understand you to mean just that.

I was just drawing the distinction that, at least in my mind, you'd have to change webos to something largely different then what it is now and to me then it's pretty different from what made webos special which was cards. I don't think you'd need cards, to touch swiping. And it's not like sliding menus are new. xbox has had those for a while.

I'm just not sure what you get from webos that you don't get from any other system. i'm not much of a techy person so maybe that's the problem lol. but to me it seems on a tv the big thing is what can i do on the tv and is the interface good enough. Like i have an wdtv and the biggest thing is does it do netflix and can it play the file formats. Trust me if i had know how i could make a devices that slaughters every player out there. lol. But i can barely bake bread and build a computer. i don't know a lick about coding. So i guess the tenor of my response was basically just i wasn't sure what more you get from webos as opposed to any other O.S. For me if it looks nice, plays my files and has the features i want i wouldn't care what the underlying OS. Oh funny, my dad has one of those tvs with all those widgets, man he wanted it so bad. Loves the tv. Now doesn't use a single widget. It tried to tell him other then the netflix one the rest he wouldn't likely consider using.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Berserk View Post
    LG actually seems lika a possible match.

LG posts a net loss for Q3, loses ground in mobile sales -- Engadget

LG is facing tough competition in the mobile space. Maybe webOS can be something they are interested in so that they can differentiate them from others?

I have to wonder if that is a good idea. The reason i say that is because you have to consider what Webos needs. In my opinion it needs now and always has needed a sugar daddy willing to burn money.

They'd need the cost to buy Palm or at least webos. Then money to build new devices. Then they'd need the money really pay off big companies to make apps. What HP couldn't or wouldn't do. Like it's not enough to pay hobbiest developers or some guy to make a twitter app. What's really needed is whoever owns webos to broker a deal with netflix just like i'm sure they probably did with Amazon to make a kindle app. Broker a deal for an apps for all the big web properties, google apps, youtubes, news channels, navigation, the etc. I mean go to those app request pages and list all 100 of the companies in there and pay every single one. Then you've got all the big things android has and essentially your apps store is fine. But that takes Microsoft type money. That's how they blew up. They pay tons of money to companies. Well at least that's what i heard. But then they got to make an manufacture the devices. And i think webos needs some serious tweaking and feature adding in many of the apps. Like if Android camera does macro, sepia, 3 different formats, crop, flip, rotate, so should webos. The email should do every single thing ios or webos does. Like if that's starring emails, or priority inboxes, or whatever. Add a virtual keyboard. Because i think they need slabs to compete. And LG already sells slabs. I'm on an older build of webos so maybe some of this is in the newer builds. And i mean the phone builds not the tablet. i know stuff like email is different on that. Then also consider that if they really want to compete i think they need a real global launch. I don't think its enough to launch in 1 or 2 countries at a time when apple's launching in like 10 or 12 in a few weeks and looking at this Nokia announcement they will be launching in 7 or 8 countries. And that takes money because they need to fund the manufacturing of that many devices. And then i'd bet they'd have to pay extra just to get carriers that would have felt they got burned once before on webos devices that never sold. That will probably cost money. All that on top of buying the Palm or Webos.

And LG "posts a net loss and loses ground." They may be in need of a boost but my question is do they have the money to do what is needed considering they just had a touch quarter? Because buying webos then launching on the cheap is unlikely to impress anyone but precentral diehards and doing that didn't work before.
    I don't know if anyone saw this article on engadget today but this line was interesting:

"When asked whether his firm would consider buying webOS, the exec said simply, "Never say never.""

Original article: Sony Buys out Ericcson

I think this could be a step in the right direction. I would definitely be a fan of it. Hold out hope, webOS nation!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Agreed.

In terms of HW vendors, Sony (sans Ericsson) would be the best available option.

I'd like to see amazon, though. I think amazon could more effectively deliver a cloud-centric ecosystem.