Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering if there is a hack that routes system/midi/mp3 sounds through the speaker on the lid

any suggestions

because ringtones are played through that speaker and they are always load but system sounds/midi/mp3/wave are played through the speaker in the back that is very wimpy also
    Last edited by backwerd; 12/13/2002 at 05:36 AM.
    As far as I know, the Treo only has the one speaker in the lid.
  3.    #3  
    thats what i thought too

but i installed psytexx mp3 player

and listened too some songs and the sound was not very loud
    and it was coming out of the reset hole

so i started listening for where the sound/system/alarms/game sounds come from and its the same place in the rear

however the ringtones come from the top speaker in the lid and it is a much higher quality speaker and louder too I think the sound generator is higher quality to asuming that the ringtones sound alot better than any game i got. I wonder if the speaker in the lid is anything like the enhanced speaker in the clie?
    Last edited by backwerd; 12/13/2002 at 08:04 AM.
    Originally posted by backwerd
    thats what i thought too

but i installed psytexx mp3 player

and listened too some songs and the sound was not very loud
    and it was coming out of the reset hole

so i started listening for where the sound/system/alarms/game sounds come from and its the same place in the rear

however the ringtones come from the top speaker in the lid and it is a much higher quality speaker and louder too I think the sound generator is higher quality to asuming that the ringtones sound alot better than any game i got. I wonder if the speaker in the lid is anything like the enhanced speaker in the clie?
    You have a 300, no? The other Treos don't send ringtones through that speaker.
  5.    #5  
    Yes it is a treo 300

Do the other treo have two speakers then too

the ringtones must suck on the other treo's
    Yep, the ring tones are rather week for those of us with 270s and 180s.
    Yes it is a treo 300

Do the other treo have two speakers then too

the ringtones must suck on the other treo's
    They have two speakers but only one is capable of producing more than one tone at a time (the one used for the phone earpiece). I doubt the speaker hardware is much different, but the wiring/OS hookup might be because of the ability of the ringer in the 300 to send sound to the polyphonic speaker.
  8.    #8  
    so is the hardware the same for the sound just a different speaker that makes the difference

or is the the sound hardware that makes the difference

and if it is just the speaker that is the difference doesnt it make since to route all sound through that speaker to get better sound in all apps and in the os?

hack needed

doesn anyone know of any games and or software that takes advantage of this new speaker

such as i see some software taking advantage of the clie speaker
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    They have two speakers......
    Where is the other speaker located? I had mine apart the other day, and did not see it.
  10.    #10  
    im not sure but i here the sound coming out of the reset hole and the rocker switch area im sure it is a very tiny speaker prolly sotterd on the pcb
    Last edited by backwerd; 12/15/2002 at 04:40 AM.
    All treo's have two speakers - the one in the earpiece, and a piezo. the Piezo (teency, insid eteh device) is the standered palm OS piezo, and all sound from Palm OS is routed through it. The ear one oriiginally was just audio for phone, but with the Treo 300 they expanded it to give ringtones etc (IE, they gave palm OS more? control over it)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  12.    #12  
    yeah like i said so doesnt it make since to route all sound through it for games music alarms what not? i would think it should be physically posible

this is a hack i would pay for
    We are unsure abotu this, this is speculation, but we think that the speaker is not controlled much by Palm OS, and is controlled by the radio module itself - at least on the GSM treos. In the Treo 300 they seemed to have written a driver to let Palm OS access it.. but they didn't make it universal.. I doubt you could get it to work on a 270 -- but there might be a chance on the 300.

Again the above is speculation.. i do not have the schematics for the treos
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  14.    #14  
    if i can play a rigtone from inside of palm on the headset I don't see how I couldn't be possible to play all other sounds from there . I know that its not vey likely for the 270 but it should be from the 300
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by miradu
    All treo's have two speakers - the one in the earpiece, and a piezo. the Piezo (teency, insid eteh device) is the standered palm OS piezo, and all sound from Palm OS is routed through it. The ear one oriiginally was just audio for phone, but with the Treo 300 they expanded it to give ringtones etc (IE, they gave palm OS more? control over it)

yeah a piezo-crap

lol
    if i can play a rigtone from inside of palm on the headset I don't see how I couldn't be possible to play all other sounds from there . I know that its not vey likely for the 270 but it should be from the 300
    I can easily think of a way. If the ringtones are stored in a special place where another device (speaker's driving software?) can access it but the OS doesn't know how, that would cause said symptoms.
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I can easily think of a way. If the ringtones are stored in a special place where another device (speaker's driving software?) can access it but the OS doesn't know how, that would cause said symptoms.

arent the ringtones stored in the same memmory?

or are they stored in the rom?

or some other place?
    Yeah, it's in memory, but that doesn't mean that the OS knows how to read it. It might only be able to say "Play"
    I believe that the phone module has its own memory area. It could be that the ringtones are uploaded from the Palm memory to the phone module memory, which would explain how there could be limited support for the polyphonic speaker but not full support.

You might think that would be a stupid way to design the thing, but that sort of design could have its benefits.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
  20.    #20  
    is it possible to wire the polyphonic speaker to where the piezo is at to make all sound go through that?

or is there not enough power there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast