Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    As strange as it sounds, sometimes I feel like we (webOS users) are considered stubborn. Since 2009, we all are using webOS devices and there is no doubt that its is one of the classy OS out there. But lot has changed since 2009. Android and iOS devices are growing by leaps and bounds.

There are times when I really do miss some of those features that are available on iOS or Android. Front facing camera, Skype, dual core processor and what not. Please don't take me wrong, I am the guy who is using Sprint Pre from day 1. I in-fact woke up at 5:30am to go to the sprint store and buy the Pre.

But now that Palm and HP has put the whole webOS into shady area, is there any point in staying with webOS phones? I was looking forward for Palm Pre 3 but that's also out of the question now.

This is the first time I am so much confused on what to buy as my next smartphone. Sometimes I think I should keep using Pre as long as it runs but then again its also showing its age.

Sprint has lots and lots of options for smartphones now. Do you think webOS fans are too stubborn to go into Android or iOS?
    pick your carrier, then your phone.

if you are adventurous, upgrade to iphone. Sell it for enough to buy a couple of pre2 phones, put your pre- radio in it and enjoy frankenpre2 goodness.
    cjstealth likes this.
  3.    #3  
    That's the thing though.. I am not good with the whole changing radio and all.
    I think iOS and RIM fans were to stubborn to go to webOS
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Stubborn implies sticking to something, even though it may not be correct, or right.

Im sure some of us are, and others are just being pragmatic, based on their own situations - I love my Pre 3 on T-Mobile. There is no current smartphone that I have seen, anywhere, even the new Samsungs, that even tempt me; I looked at IceCream Sandwhich, and, it still looks like a WebOS wannabe (as in awkward to use) placed over Android to me, and iOS is just too unintuitive for me - Im totally spoiled by Windows and the WebOS card interface.

I have yet to try a Windows Mango device, though... we'll see how that plays out.

Im curious to see how the new BB QNX OS plays out, though. ITs such a blatant ripoff of WebOS that, in essence, it might be a natural migration in a year or two, if RIM survives, and their hardware quality stays as high as always.

For now, Im personally not being stubborn - just happy I got my hands on the best smartphone for MY needs available today.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

johncc likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

if you are adventurous, upgrade to iphone. Sell it for enough to buy a couple of pre2 phones, put your pre- radio in it and enjoy frankenpre2 goodness.
    not me I picked my phone and then went to where they had it. Pre 3 for ME!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JED-WEB-OS View Post
    I think iOS and RIM fans were to stubborn to go to webOS
    I think we find a product that we like. It suits our needs, We feel that the other guys don't do it right. So we stay with what we have. Nothing wrong with that!

I think that HP found out that making phones and tablets was harder than they had expected. They want to get into the tablet market because they see that is where the future is. However they don't want to invest and double down to make it happen.

I personally think that the phone market is/will be just as big as the tablet market and think they are really Silly not to pursue it. just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    As strange as it sounds, sometimes I feel like we (webOS users) are considered stubborn. Since 2009, we all are using webOS devices and there is no doubt that its is one of the classy OS out there. But lot has changed since 2009. Android and iOS devices are growing by leaps and bounds.

There are times when I really do miss some of those features that are available on iOS or Android. Front facing camera, Skype, dual core processor and what not. Please don't take me wrong, I am the guy who is using Sprint Pre from day 1. I in-fact woke up at 5:30am to go to the sprint store and buy the Pre.

But now that Palm and HP has put the whole webOS into shady area, is there any point in staying with webOS phones? I was looking forward for Palm Pre 3 but that's also out of the question now.

This is the first time I am so much confused on what to buy as my next smartphone. Sometimes I think I should keep using Pre as long as it runs but then again its also showing its age.

Sprint has lots and lots of options for smartphones now. Do you think webOS fans are too stubborn to go into Android or iOS?
    I don't think we're stubborn...if your pre still works, does what you want it to do, why change it??
    I think our current techno-society has us brainwashed..we don't need to change our phones every frickin 6 months just because something new comes out!!!
    My brother let me borrowed his android for a whole month now (he believes I'm stubborn too), to this day I only play with it for a few minutes (there are a lot of apps, but the ones that I really need I already have..in my pre- !!)
  9.    #9  
    Personally, I don't want to change my carrier because of the phone though. I like sprint because it gives me 25% discount in my plan and it is still the cheapest of all three.

Now those of you who got your Pre 3 working on T-Mobile, its great but for Sprint users like me, the original Pre is now showing its age. It works for the most part but then freezes many times, lags quite a bit now and the performance is degrading every day.

Do you think there is anyone here who can get me a Sprint Pre 2 running? I guess I am too scared to rip off phones and then couldn't put them back together again.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Personally, I don't want to change my carrier because of the phone though. I like sprint because it gives me 25% discount in my plan and it is still the cheapest of all three.

Now those of you who got your Pre 3 working on T-Mobile, its great but for Sprint users like me, the original Pre is now showing its age. It works for the most part but then freezes many times, lags quite a bit now and the performance is degrading every day.

Do you think there is anyone here who can get me a Sprint Pre 2 running? I guess I am too scared to rip off phones and then couldn't put them back together again.
    I am in the same boat. I used Evo briefly, couldn't stand it. The best thing you can do is to clock it at 1G Hz. Its a huge difference compared to stock Pre. I am going to hold on to it as long as I can. If the iPhone was iPhone 5 with 4 inch screen,I would have bought it. But at present, wait and see. I am hoping we get to know the fate of webOS in couple of weeks. Wait for the upcoming Nokia searay with Microsoft.
    That's the thing though.. I am not good with the whole changing radio and all.
    there are several members here that offer to do it for a very low price.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Good discussion. I love this thread. Yes, we are a stubborn bunch. With the competition copying multitasking HP/Palm is vindicated. I only wish someone else was leading the effort for touchpad. Ruby was great, but he should be locked up in a Lab. One thing he didn't get , form factor.

Why on earth he did not release a 4 inch slab for the commoners ? We would not be talking about being a stubborn fan if more phones came out from Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Good discussion. I love this thread. Yes, we are a stubborn bunch. With the competition copying multitasking HP/Palm is vindicated. I only wish someone else was leading the effort for touchpad. Ruby was great, but he should be locked up in a Lab. One thing he didn't get , form factor.

Why on earth he did not release a 4 inch slab for the commoners ? We would not be talking about being a stubborn fan if more phones came out from Palm.
    Amen.
    The fact we may be stubborn may help the 500 000 TP owner enjoy their tablet much longer than most Android/iPad users think we will...

Amen!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

A little too stubborn if you ask me, especially the developers...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Stuborn isnt really the point. It is a good phone and it could have been easily made better if developement remained vigorous. So whats not to like and be stuborn about. The problem is that its over. Palm couldnt build the WebOS environment, and HP totally lost the ball and any hope of reviving momentum. Its just like football and the other teem intercepted it with 60 seconds left. They are downing the ball and letting time run out. There is nothing HP or Palm can do. This is my 4th Sprint pre in 4 weeks now. They cant seem to find me a good one. They are urging me to switch to Android, because Palm service will only get worse. Problem is, I have the warranty service and they have to give me a suitable replacement. Something they still refuse to do. I certainly am not paying twice.
    Stop being stubborn and get a Sprint Pre 2. Eight months now and not a single hardware issue for me.
    No. Stubborn was me keeping my 2005 Samsung A900 "Blade" until March of this year when it finally froze and would not turn on completely or power off without dropping the battery. I impulse bought an Iphone and it was probably the wrong choice as it is a pita to use. An SD card slot and native .avi file support would have rocked but Apple curses me with itunes.
    Pros: The pills were there.
    Cons: So was the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Or better - have a market where you can pick your carrier independently from your phone.
    The US mobile market is fracked up in that regard.

Re webos users being stubborn or not.
    Depends. If you depend on certain apps that never got ported to webos or if having a wide selection of apps is of prime importance to you - but you still cling to webos - then yes - one might consider you stubborn. App are clearly the big gaping weak point of webos - everything else people might complain about is small change in comparison (certainly since Pre2/Pre3/Veer fixed the hardware quality side of things).

But - OTOH - if you are like me and all the needed apps are already there (Newsroom, email, browser) and anything else is considered cherry on top - then the Pre3 plus webos can easily be found to be the best gadget on the market (to me it truly is). I could have bought any phone I like - and I did buy the one I like best.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I have a friend with a stash of Centros... Is that more or less stubborn? :P

Sent using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast