Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jbennett
  • 2 Post By cgk
  • 1 Post By shanpalm61
  1.    #1  
    Barron's reports that Shane Robison, HP's CTO and chief strategy officer, will retire November 1st, the company announced this afternoon.

WebOS was reportedly placed under the direction of Robison after the TouchPad tablet effort was killed. With Robison departing, the question obviously arises as to what will happen to WebOS. Might there be some announcement about WebOS now that Robison is stepping aside?

HP’s Strategy Chief Robison To Retire; Whither PCs? WebOS?
    Uh oh....this does not bode well for webOS.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Lol.... In my previous company, when a senior management was "retiring", he/she was actually fired...
    Robison, 57, has been with the company for 11 years, and served recently on the “Executive Council.” The company said that it will not seek a replacement for Robison,...
    When you don't seek a replacement for the guy in charge of webOS, I 'd say this pretty much says it all. This along with the rumors of more webOS employees getting laid off by the end of the month, doesn't look good folks.

http://beargoggleson.com/files/2011/07/EndIsNear1.jpg
    So the remain webOS software engineering chiefs are: Ari Jaaksi, senior vice president leading webOS software engineering, and Richard Kerris, vice president leading webOS worldwide developer relations, who reported to SHANE ROBISON EVP, Chief Strategy and Technology Officer,Office of Strategy and Technology., now to retire.

And Lee Ott, the senior director of webOS software product marketing, who reports to Ari Jaaksi.

Will they stay and manage what is left of webos ?
    So, looks like Webosroundup's rumor is not rumor at all.
    I'm shocked... HP actually had a strategy?

This is the end, my friend
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    When you don't seek a replacement for the guy in charge of webOS, I 'd say this pretty much says it all. This along with the rumors of more webOS employees getting laid off by the end of the month, doesn't look good folks.

WebOS was only a very small part of his role, I would guess they are not replacing him because they are going to restructure and the post will disappear or because part of another role.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    WebOS was only a very small part of his role, I would guess they are not replacing him because they are going to restructure and the post will disappear or because part of another role.
    This. But I don't see on which division webOS fits...
    Newness Developments apps:

10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    This. But I don't see on which division webOS fits...
    Well if memory serves me, WebOS the software (rather than the people who work on it) is owned by the office of strategy and technology (or whatever it's called, I can't be bothered to check) - so either that itself is being moved or broken up or em...

who knows???
    Well if memory serves me, WebOS the [I]software (rather than the people who work on it) is owned by the office of strategy and technology (or whatever it's called, I can't be bothered to check) - so either that itself is being moved or broken up or em...

who knows??? $2
    Yeah, but the OST chief is gone without replacement... That means they're going to close that division.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    So the remain webOS software engineering chiefs are: Ari Jaaksi, senior vice president leading webOS software engineering, and Richard Kerris, vice president leading webOS worldwide developer relations, who reported to SHANE ROBISON EVP, Chief Strategy and Technology Officer,Office of Strategy and Technology., now to retire.

And Lee Ott, the senior director of webOS software product marketing, who reports to Ari Jaaksi.

Will they stay and manage what is left of webos ?
    At this point, the best I'm hoping for is that they end up getting moved down to the basement somewhere at HP, and Payroll inadvertently keeps cutting them checks for five more years before discovering their "glitch."

--John
    woodytrain likes this.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Ah.. looking at the news articles, he finishes on November the 1st, Meg is said to be deciding what to do with the PSG by then and we had that rumour that the WebOS engineers are getting canned at the end of the month, so maybe it all ties together.
    Last edited by CGK; 10/21/2011 at 06:11 AM.
    chalx and slbailey1 like this.
    Who knows what this means, it may mean that they are actually selling the webOS division off. I mean, it is hard for me to believe that the brain trust at HP got together to come up with a plan to find the best strategy to maximize value of webOS and the best strategy that they came up with was to fire the entire division and let it die. A $1.2B purchase of a full fledged mobile OS and they couldn't even unload it for 1/2 price? It's worth more for the patents alone. I guess HP is considering creating a new patent troll division? Next big lawsuit HP v Mobile Computing, et al for violating HP's patented technology of sending image information, from a mobile device, to a device capable of interpretting the information and creating a printed hard-copy of it.
    This guy (url below) seems to think the division is going to be restructured. And looking at what Robison had done in the past it could be that with him webOS would definitely have been killed off eventually without trying to license or sell it off and only kept the patents for licensing.

Shane Robison retires as HP Chief Strategy and Technology Officer
    I think we need to hire Inspector Gadget to sneak into HP and find out what's really going on. He would fit right in, no one would notice him and we could get some good answers to what's going to happen to webOS.
    Ok back to my bad coffee...
    mknba likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenzombie View Post
    This guy (url below) seems to think the division is going to be restructured. And looking at what Robison had done in the past it could be that with him webOS would definitely have been killed off eventually without trying to license or sell it off and only kept the patents for licensing.

Shane Robison retires as HP Chief Strategy and Technology Officer
    Interesting read, but I don't altogether agree on your assessment. Clearly Compaq was bought for the server hardware and the CPU chipset that he killed was an uneccessary portion of the whole, whereas the Palm acquisition was clearly for webOS (it's patents were secondary in nature).