Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP has not given up on the tablet sector, (webOS,windows8,androids?) but we need the right format.

According to Antoine Barre, vice president, Personal Systems Group, Middle East, Mediterranean & Africa, HP has not given up on the tablet sector, but we need the right format, he said.

HP is adjusting its strategy after the failure of the Touch Pad to sell, although it has no plans for smartphones.

He also said:

"We have not backed out [of the tablet segment], we have backed out of WebOS tablet hardware. The WebOS tablet hardware that we came out with, did not sell to our expectations. We made the decision that rather than continue with a solution that was not appealing enough to customers, we wanted to review our strategy, and build a new tablet roadmap," he said.

"What we are doing now is putting together a new tablet road map... that is looking at various operating systems, Windows 8 we know is going to be very [tablet] focused; we are looking at multiple operating systems for future generations of tablet, including Windows 8," Barre added.

"We see tablets as devices that are a compliment, an add-on device compared to your notebook or smartphone, we see that as another category of device, that is mainly incremental, a bit is cannibalization, particularly on the netbook, so it is a market that we want to get into, but we need the right format to get into it," he said.

There is no doubt HP is focusing more on Windows 8 tablets , however they are not dismissing at all the possibilities of new webOS tablets and maybe Androids, as well.

Are they going to launch in sometime th HP webOS TouchPad GO but in a better format or is HP thinking in a new version of a webOS tablet on a non plastic case , but much better and lighter to compete. ?

Summary note: HP is keeping webOS, at least until today. Lets see what will happen at the end of this month, however this is good news.

Full article:

A decision on the future of HP's PC business is due by the end of this month, according to Antoine Barre, vice president, Personal Systems Group, Middle East, Mediterranean & Africa.

Speaking to ITP.net, Barre said that a decision should be reached by the end of October, on the best way for HP PSG to continue to grow and be profitable.
    "The board of directors is investigating what the preferred solution is, in terms of customer value, shareholder return, and the objective is by the end of this month, to have a decision made by the board," Barre said.

"HP has been very successful in growing the PC business over the past few years, reaching the number one position, with over 20% market share worldwide, the most profitable business model across the PC vendors, so we are in a position of strength.

The question came up, that in looking to improve our position, should we continue to work as one company, or should we look at spinning off the PSG business?"
    Barre rejects comparison's with IBM's sale of its PC business, pointing out that HP PSG is growing in both revenue and market share, which IBM's PC business was not when it was sold to Lenovo.

He also says that HP has not given up on the tablet sector, but rather is adjusting its strategy after the failure of the Touch Pad to sell, although it has no plans for smartphones.

"We have not backed out [of the tablet segment], we have backed out of WebOS tablet hardware. The WebOS tablet hardware that we came out with, did not sell to our expectations. We made the decision that rather than continue with a solution that was not appealing enough to customers, we wanted to review our strategy, and build a new tablet roadmap," he said.

"What we are doing now is putting together a new tablet road map... that is looking at various operating systems, Windows 8 we know is going to be very [tablet] focused; we are looking at multiple operating systems for future generations of tablet, including Windows 8," Barre added.

"We see tablets as devices that are a compliment, an add-on device compared to your notebook or smartphone, we see that as another category of device, that is mainly incremental, a bit is cannibalization, particularly on the netbook, so it is a market that we want to get into, but we need the right format to get into it," he said.

A standalone PSG would still be capable of turning out innovative products, Barre said, as most of its innovation in R&D comes from the PSG engineering teams themselves. He also points to innovations in the current PC line, such as integration of the Beats Audio processor, quad core speakers and TouchSmart desktops as proof of HP's ability to lead the market.

In the nascent ultrabook sector, HP doesn't expect to see much movement this year, and the company has yet to unveil any products in this segment. Barre said that HP has been shipping thin and light notebooks with only a single drive - no optical drive - for some time, and while these product make up only 5-7% of shipments, he expects ultrabook to account for around 20% of shipments by end of 2012.

HP PSG is also increasing its support to channel partners, Barre said.

The current ‘Everybody On' marketing campaign collateral and deliverables are going to be opened up to channel partners, and HP continues to work with them in areas like co-marketing and collaboration on events.

"Channel partners are fundamental to the strategy of HP. HP was built on working together with channel partners, they are an extension of HP. The commitment that HP has to the channel is as strong as its ever been, and what you will see us do is continue to invest even more than we have before in working with the channel," Barre said.

HP PSG decision due by end of October - IT Business - News & Features - ITP.net
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rnp likes this.
    Talk about confusion!
    The only they've committed to is Windows. The only one they've stopped building is webOS.
    So are they going to build Android, Linux, what are the other operating systems? I don't see this as promising to webOS, sorry, even after I've read it twice. Windows 8 is the 'favored" tablet for HP right now it seems.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Talk about confusion!
    The only they've committed to is Windows. The only one they've stopped building is webOS.
    So are they going to build Android, Linux, what are the other operating systems? I don't see this as promising to webOS, sorry, even after I've read it twice. Windows 8 is the 'favored" tablet for HP right now it seems.

IMHO until now apparently HP is not selling webOS, they are looking for the right format (hardware) to make the right adjustements.

The other OS besides webOS and windows 8, might be Android and not determined at this time.

And yes windows 8 is the favored tablet, but HP and Dell are going to ship them in 2H2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    IMHO until now apparently HP is not selling webOS, they are looking for the right format (hardware) to make the right adjustements.

The other OS besides webOS and windows 8, might be Android and not determined at this time.

And yes windows 8 is the favored tablet, but HP and Dell are going top ship them in 2H2012
    I hear you. But he says he is looking at the "right tablet format" that is "appealing to customers". So I guess maybe HP would continue with webOS if they could find a format "appealing to customers" but it seems to me that since they own webOS, they would have already been able to determine whether they could find a hardware format "appealing to customers" --this would have been the first thing they did since its their O/S.

But it could be they feel it does not have the right enterprise capability and/or ability to be used somehow with pcs.
    Someone said 3.04 has some beefed up enterprise features, I don't know whether this is related somehow.
    I suppose the question should be: does webOS have the right enterprise features to appeal to the HP enterprise customers?
    But if they are keeping PSG, then it should be does webOS also have the right consumer capabilities?
    It feels to me that if HP is not answering yes, they have already said no.
    This pretty much is a no-go as far as I'm concerned. Tablets are part of the mobile infrastructure, if HP is not willing to release phones then webOS tablets will go nowhere. They should cut their losses and sell to someone who cares...
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    This pretty much is a no-go as far as I'm concerned. Tablets are part of the mobile infrastructure, if HP is not willing to release phones then webOS tablets will go nowhere. They should cut their losses and sell to someone who cares...
    The article cited says nothing about smartphones either way.
    But I still standby my earlier comments.
    He also says that HP has not given up on the tablet sector, but rather is adjusting its strategy after the failure of the Touch Pad to sell, although it has no plans for smartphones.
    Seems to say no phones.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I've just about given up... Elvis is leaving the building...
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Seems to say no phones.
    Oh good catch. Then yes I agree with you. Win 8 preferred because it already has phones and pcs in the mix--webOS would not be able to compete without that type of commitment.

They should sell or give webOS to someone who wants it.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I hear you. But he says he is looking at the "right tablet format" that is "appealing to customers". So I guess maybe HP would continue with webOS if they could find a format "appealing to customers" but it seems to me that since they own webOS, they would have already been able to determine whether they could find a hardware format "appealing to customers" --this would have been the first thing they did since its their O/S.

But it could be they feel it does not have the right enterprise capability and/or ability to be used somehow with pcs.
    Someone said 3.04 has some beefed up enterprise features, I don't know whether this is related somehow.
    I suppose the question should be: does webOS have the right enterprise features to appeal to the HP enterprise customers?
    But if they are keeping PSG, then it should be does webOS also have the right consumer capabilities?
    It feels to me that if HP is not answering yes, they have already said no.

Yes HP is not answering yet the following:

1.-Spinning off PGS (bet to not)
    2.-Determine what is the "right tablets format"
    3.-How many OSs are going to handle for tablets: webOS?, windows 8, androids ? and ???
    4.-The road map (apparently,where smartphones are not going to be included anymore)

(Guys I am using "apparently" since there is not an offcial decision by HP yet and even what Antonei Barre HPs VP PGS MEMA said, could change anytime at the end of this month.)
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Good grief. The right hand can't even see the left hand anymore.
    From today's Apple earnings call:

As regards the iPad, when Cook was asked about the potential market size, he remarked, I still believe it will be larger than the PC market.
  13.    #13  
    The tablets will come with more storage capacity , better prices, lighter , easy to use, making a must have portable device and it is already cannibalizing the PC sector for almost a year, and the consumer demand will go beyond actual numbers. Having a well sorted offering with different OSs and sizes might be the right pattern.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    those comments from that guy are vague at best. What does someone from the middle east really know about the decisions meg will make anyway? The only thing I got from all this is: hp will make windows 8 tablets. As for as others? They are trying to figure out of they can actually make money with other operating systems. In other words, its very doubtful.
    there is only so much room for these things. Palm might still fill a niche but it won't be a powerhouse like ios, windows 8 or android.

in a way this kind of reminds me of when sega decided to get out of the hardware business. Despite dreamcast being superior in many respects at the time. Sega is still around today but is a mere shell of what it once was.
    The Illuminati has replaced webOS with Windows 8 at HP!
    HP still hasn't figured out that it's really hard for people to understand what you are saying when you have your head up your ****.

Staying silent is still better than talking in circles and frustrating your customer base. "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -- George Eliot
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    The tablets will come with more storage capacity , better prices, lighter , easy to use, making a must have portable device and it is already cannibalizing the PC sector for almost a year, and the consumer demand will go beyond actual numbers. Having a well sorted offering with different OSs and sizes might be the right pattern.
    I don't see tablets cannibalizing PC sales until they can replace PC functionality. The iPad can't do that now. The TouchPad is/was close and Android tablets are closer (just need some fixes to the OS). Price is the largest factor in sales. Only Apple can get away with high prices. HP needs to price their new (hopefully webOS based) tablets closer to netbook prices. The also need to add more storage and peripherals.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't see tablets cannibalizing PC sales until they can replace PC functionality. The iPad can't do that now. The TouchPad is/was close and Android tablets are closer (just need some fixes to the OS). Price is the largest factor in sales. Only Apple can get away with high prices. HP needs to price their new (hopefully webOS based) tablets closer to netbook prices. The also need to add more storage and peripherals.
    If we take a 64GB tablets price it is around $699 wi-fi only , dual core chip, compared with a notebook HP MIni 110 Windows 7 Starter 32-bit,Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor N455 (1.66GHz, 512KB L2) + Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150,1GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm),250GB 5400RPM Hard Drive .....$279,99

So, if the notebook price is lower and the storage capacity higher than the tablet, then consumer is going for the weight and portability of the device with no physical keyboard, but with multi-touch performance, instead.

The iCloud feature for devices seamlessly connected (webOS replicate) that for sure Androids will come to webOS (replicate) too , will get the consumers to use the tablet more than the notebook, laptop and PC that they could have as well.

The canibalization of the PCs in different form factors is partial at this time, but is happenning, and that is why HP is considering not to abandon the tablets making and will stay with the PCs manufacturing,too. IMO.
    Its always been about getting more out of less. Going from building sized super-computers to tablets? Anyone else see the pattern? I agree with multiple OS's just the same as you an go out and choose different vehicles to fit your lifestyle, but windows will win this war by sheer size. My hope is that HP, with palms patents and dev team, will take the best of what we all love and integrate it into their tablets. Or if webos can be scaled to a full fledged fully capable OS, which it is fairly close to already.
    Well here is another quote from PSG "spokesperson." (see below)
    The pcmag article suggests the people using the windows tablet (enterprise) put their own software on it whereas the HP TouchPad was competing as a ready made consumer device with apps

We already make a Windows 7-based tablet, the HP Slate 500, so you could probably guess we'll continue to work with them," said Marlene Somsak, a spokesperson for HP's Personal Systems Group....
    One thing she did emphasize was that HP would continue making tablets, despite the debacle associated with the HP TouchPad, the consumer-targeted webOS tablet that HP discontinued due to poor sales less than seven weeks after releasing it this past July.

"We've definitely said we'll continue in the tablet market, though we have discontinued hardware with webOS," Somsak said. ...

After Ditching TouchPad, HP Turns to Windows 8 for Next Tablets | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast