Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
  1.    #1  
    [Rumor] HP to Layoff webOS Engineers By Months End (Exclusive) | News, Rumors |webOSroundup

according to webosroundup its sounding like the rest of the software engineers are heading out the door at the end of the month? If so, was 3.0.4 just a final "wrap up"? If so, I am grateful that these folks took the time to give us a final update esp. if they're being sacked.

I hope it isn't true....see link above.
    Just read a rumour on WebOS Roundup that HP is going to fire the rest of the WebOS team at the end of the month.

Anyone here know anything to confirm this rumour?
    well I think that webos roundup has a 50/50 chance of being right
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    They are sure not "killing" it, Jaaksi's blog says development is continuing including "core engines for the whole webOS". The question is did they manage to sell the O/S and the new buyer doesn't need all those engineers or did they not manage to close a sale and are still trying to find a solution for webOS?

Ari Jaaksi's Blog
    We have also continued longer term architectural development for webOS. We are working hard around webKit and V8. Those are core engines for the whole webOS. The Enyo framework and developer tools are getting a lot of attention now. We have also some very cool development around UI especially in the area of working with many task simultaneously, and using the table screen even more efficiently.
    fxspec06 and fmarcanojr like this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I have a bad feeling it is.
    kill_dano likes this.
    <thread moved>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I think Jaaksi referred to the effort that got into 3.0.4, not into future updates. I do am afraid this is the last ever update we'll see. Maybe new app catalog entries till the end of the year and then it's all over...
    or maybe their just flogging off the patented ideas/functionality of webOS to some1 else.

....which would suck.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, sad day....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I think Jaaksi referred to the effort that got into 3.0.4, not into future updates. I do am afraid this is the last ever update we'll see. Maybe new app catalog entries till the end of the year and then it's all over...
    No, Jaaksi used present tense verbs ("we are working hard") and not past tense ("we worked hard")
    Jon Rubinstein must be rolling over in his grave!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    em.. he's not dead!
    What I think is really interesting:

HP puts enyo on the earlier phones. Then it makes the current nonwebos phone base be able to take calls with the TouchPad. Its almost like HP is trying to expand the phone universe for webOS. Is this because the new buyer is planning to push out apps that would be compatible with older versions of webOS as well as non-webos phones (the enyo apps run on top of other software?)?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    em.. he's not dead!
    Are you sure?? We havenít heard a word from him in quite a while, in the mean time our beloved webOS that he convinced us was the mobile OS of the future, gets buried deeper day by day.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JED-WEB-OS View Post
    Are you sure?? We havenít heard a word from him in quite a while, in the mean time our beloved webOS that he convinced us was the mobile OS of the future, gets buried deeper day by day.
    He no longer works in that business unit - he was moved out months ago, it's no longer his business to comment upon it in public, so like a good corporate player he says nothing.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    They are sure not "killing" it, Jaaksi's blog says development is continuing including "core engines for the whole webOS". The question is did they manage to sell the O/S and the new buyer doesn't need all those engineers or did they not manage to close a sale and are still trying to find a solution for webOS?

Ari Jaaksi's Blog
    We have also continued longer term architectural development for webOS. We are working hard around webKit and V8. Those are core engines for the whole webOS. The Enyo framework and developer tools are getting a lot of attention now. We have also some very cool development around UI especially in the area of working with many task simultaneously, and using the table screen even more efficiently.
    Wasn't he one of the guys who found out with the public that HP was discontinuing the hardware? Just saying...

I see Arthur Thornton wrote that rumor, if I remember correctly he interned with the WebOS GBU for a while so I'm guessing his contacts are the guys are on the ground. This might be simply a rumour or something might in the wind - I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Call me a pessimist. But I think it is not typically Palm/HP to release an update, the doctor, the kernel sources and a new SDK all in one go. Somehow feels like they wanted to finish of their final piece of work and be done with it...
    Welcome depression, my old friend...
    I'm pretty sure in regard to the WOR rumor, Andrew Rich, an engineer @ Palm, tweeted:
    lapcat pays no attention to rumors and shouldn't either https://twitpic.com/728tee
    I would assume he meant to say "and you shouldn't either".

Interestingly, a minute or so before that tweet, he also tweeted:
    (restraining self from tweeting something at least as ugly, mean-spirited, inappropriate and false)
    If HP is supposedly killing webOS before the end of the month, and the source of the rumour came from a guy in engineering, you'd think Andrew would be aware. Color me suspicious of the validity of the rumour.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Thanks.
    What a good looking lapcat.

Uncertainty makes everyone crazy. We'll just have to wait it out, shouldn't be any longer than a few more months.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast