Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    Be mindful of your Canadian friends...

You owe Jason a lot of good things webOS offers you today...

Just my 2 cents

(and can take a joke of course...) Trust me I know about the CH's misery these days...
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Anyone notice this rather tell comment from Chuq Von Rospach over at the developer forum when asked if the rumour was true?

I wish I could tell you it's false. what i know is that it's not true as of right now, because my access to things still works.
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...?f=105&t=18705
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Anyone notice this rather tell comment from Chuq Von Rospach over at the developer forum when asked if the rumour was true?

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...?f=105&t=18705
    That comment means nothing.

I have never been a part of a company as big as HP, but I have been part of nationwide US companies, even one that was bought by an international company. When things like this rumor go down, people don't usually get advanced warning, unless a public statement is released.

I still believe this rumor holds no water HP still has a vested interest in keeping the software division for the near future. They have already cut their loses with the hardware and the software division costs them nothing to operate.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    That comment means nothing.
    I really love your enthusiasm, but that comment does have pretty grim meaning. I don't understand how you could say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    They have already cut their loses with the hardware and the software division costs them nothing to operate.
    How does it cost them nothing to operate? I have to assume the webOS team isn't working for free, and the offices and equipment they use aren't free either. At some point in the near future, if webOS isn't licensed out, then there is the problem of money going into something that isn't bringing in revenue, and the axe will fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I really love your enthusiasm, but that comment does have pretty grim meaning. I don't understand how you could say that.
    Did you read my comment about working for a company of large scale? There is no way all the employees know they are getting the boot and are not making moves.

If you have ever seen Chuq's responses to people trying to get information out of him, that is the tone I usually see from him. All he is stating is that he can't say it's not gonna happen, for obvious reason, it's not his decision, but he is still at work.

Like I said, I take this from personal experience in situations like this. He is stating (in a different manor) that he can't comment on the future and decisions that are not under his control. I have personally been in those situation, I am not saying what will or won't happen, but the statement cannot be construed to mean anything more than what he and I are stating.

We learned in August, you never know what HP is going to do, so I doubt ANY HP employee will be dispelling any rumors if they have any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    How does it cost them nothing to operate? I have to assume the webOS team isn't working for free, and the offices and equipment they use aren't free either. At some point in the near future, if webOS isn't licensed out, then there is the problem of money going into something that isn't bringing in revenue, and the axe will fall.
    I can't remember the numbers, but in the earnings call they stated they could run the software division for very little. I'm not going to go back and dig it up, it was posted many times and the specific number can be found in the earnings call.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    DoobieDoo likes this.
    He was also asking through Twitter for LinkedIn recommendations out of the blue a couple of weeks ago, so who knows what the hell's up.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    He was also asking through Twitter for LinkedIn recommendations out of the blue a couple of weeks ago, so who knows what the hell's up.
    With the kind of uncertainty we are looking at right now, you don't need inside information to know it's a good time for the WebOS team to start building up their network of contacts to find a new job. Maybe they'll need it, maybe they won't, but anyone on the team who is not making any preparations whatsoever is just being unrealistic.
    For me, it's hard to believe anything from HP unless it's been confirmed. Been talking with a former HP employee I work with now. I get the impression that consistent communication and decision making is not one of the company's strong points. Like playing a game of telephone, many inconsistent changes can happen by the time things trickle thru their org.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    still up in the air is what I heard from another employee.
    my thoughts--negotiations can take a long time. HP seems to be keeping webos software alive and I hope they can find a hardware partner at least, if not a buyer who will offer the right price for a sale. PSG, if it makes other tabs besides windows, would also need to come up with a competitive webOS strategy, obviously this last one had major flaws.
    There is still one possibility - HP keeps webOS and Palm for patents and decide do produce Android tablets killing webOS development.
    [QUOTE=chalx;3220871]There is still one possibility - /QUOTE]

More than one possibility
    Well, I would like to believe that HP Killing webOS Devices, but not the WebOS, the WebOS will keep update.
    There is still one possibility - HP keeps webOS and Palm for patents and decide do produce Android tablets killing webOS development.
    Or windows 8 tablets.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    "Richard Kerris, vice president, Worldwide Developer Relations for webOS, has decided to leave HP to pursue an opportunity outside of the company, effective immediately. We are grateful for his service and contributions he has made to HP and the webOS community."
    Richard Kerris leaving HP for "an opportunity outside" | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Could be just coincidence or he might be expecting something to happen at the end of the month...
    Richard Kerris leaving HP for "an opportunity outside" | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Could be just coincidence or he might be expecting something to happen at the end of the month...
    end is near, ate least end of month....

Anyway, have anyone seen hparsons lately? I couldn't believe I'm still here and he isn't.

I don't think a coincidence, I think we will get an announcement shortly.. I think he stuck it out as long as he could hoping that WebOS would be spun off or licensed, but those hopes have faded. He saw the righting on the wall that you don't need a VP of Developer Relations for a dead OS.

My hope is that HP does the "right" thing and now open sources WebOS. But I think it makes more financial sense for them (tax write-off) to just kill it. Also the longer they wait to OpenSource it the smaller the impact would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    My hope is that HP does the "right" thing and now open sources WebOS. But I think it makes more financial sense for them (tax write-off) to just kill it. Also the longer they wait to OpenSource it the smaller the impact would be.
    if open source is not profitable i don't see how it is "the right" thing to do. They are not a charity.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    But I think it makes more financial sense for them (tax write-off) to just kill it.
    Kramer: It's a write-off for them.
    Jerry: How is it a write-off?
    Kramer: They just write it off.
    Jerry: Write it off what?
    Kramer: Jerry all these big companies they write off everything.
    Jerry: You don't even know what a write-off is.
    Kramer: Do you?
    Jerry: No, I don't.
    Kramer: But they do - and they are the ones writing it off.
    ohiomoto, carldc and SnotBoogie like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Kramer: It's a write-off for them.
    Jerry: How is it a write-off?
    Kramer: They just write it off.
    Jerry: Write it off what?
    Kramer: Jerry all these big companies they write off everything.
    Jerry: You don't even know what a write-off is.
    Kramer: Do you?
    Jerry: No, I don't.
    Kramer: But they do - and they are the ones writing it off.
    hysterical. maybe somebody with an accounting background can clear this up but I don't think it is a "tax write-off" no matter what.

I think, as a sunk cost, it would count against their profits for tax purposes, lowering taxable profit. But it would seem to me it would have the same effect whether they kept/buried WebOS or open sourced it. either way, they lost money that counts against their profits.

Correct? Close?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast