Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    it was the 19th of august, at rougly 3:03 pm EST. it was d e a d at around 5pm. since then it has been confirmed living, breathing, dying, dead, coming back, never coming back, headless, heartless, and everything in between, despite the announcement of literally anything from the official news source, hp, who has said continuously that they will continue to support the development of webos as a software, which, up until now, they have lived up to and exceeded expectations, if I do say so myself.
    That new Samsung Nexus running ICS looks pretty darn impressive. No doubt it'll wind up on Sprint soon.
    delacro likes this.
    HP has been building Windows 7 tablets right along side webOS tablets. They are not at all within the same target market, size, or price point.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Why are you so surprise about this? HP has been making PC with Windows for longest time. And Microsoft is going to release Windows 8, which is tablet friendly OS. So eventually number one PC making will be making MS Windows 8 with tablet format. What is so hard to understand here? HP is basically saying, they will continue to do the samething.
    Quote Originally Posted by karstenskov View Post
    I don't know if you've read this:

Hewlett-Packard has pulled the plug on tablets running its own webOS mobile operating system, but an HP spokesperson all but confirmed Monday that the computer maker will be building a tablet based on Microsoft's tablet-optimized Windows 8 OS when it's released in 2012.

More here:
    After Ditching TouchPad, HP Turns to Windows 8 for Next Tablets | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

So sad.... HP lost the nerve to invent. "Go with the flow" should be their motto.

Pfffffffttt !

Edit: Just saw another thread here, along the same lines... But it's still sad.
    Which is exactly why Apple is so much more successful than HP ever will be.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    That article didn't tell us anything we didn't know yesterday or 2 weeks ago.

According to the article:

That's funny, that's not how they led us to believe in the beginning at launch, with it's "lackluster hardware" and "buggy OS"

Apps, apps, apps -- apparently they ARE important after all.

As far as confirming no more webOS....I thought that was stated on the 20th of August give or take a day?
    He should speak to his CTO who (after they killed it) thought the Touchpad was a generation behind the ipad.
    Just as long as Windows 8 runs my enyo apps.

Which it won't. Because Microsoft doesn't use webkit.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Thread already here discussing this:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...roids-etc.html

Spoke to US HP Tech Support and they are still awaiting board decision (or board communication re decision already made). If they are under negotiations with someone else regarding webOS, I would not be surprised if we don't hear for another month or so--in some ways no news is better right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Just as long as Windows 8 runs my enyo apps.

Which it won't. Because Microsoft doesn't use webkit.
    Windows 8 is fully OS. And I am sure it will have much wider support from dev community. some reason, you won't miss running your enyo apps. Is there any good enyo apps that you think you are going to miss on full OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    He should speak to his CTO who (after they killed it) thought the Touchpad was a generation behind the ipad.
    That could be because they designed it to mimic the iPad 1, but released it after iPad 2...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    fail topic with sensationalist heading.

edit: topic got merged with the other one
    Last edited by illli; 10/20/2011 at 02:13 PM.
    very misleading topic
    Dude there was an update 2 days ago
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    <Rumor threads merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Dude there was an update 2 days ago
    That update could of been in the pipeline for awhile. I find it strange that this months pivot mag hasn't been released. Limited resources working on final webOS update?
    This just in.

The sky is falling! the sky is falling!
    That update could of been in the pipeline for awhile. I find it strange that this months pivot mag hasn't been released. Limited resources working on final webOS update?
    That update was being worked until released. Do you really think updates are "pipelined" kinda "we've finished webOS 3.0.4... Let's release it in two weeks"?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Is there any good enyo apps that you think you are going to miss on full OS?
    Not yours, for sure.

Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Not yours, for sure.

Not just about missing "apps" - of which I will.

But as a developer, working with enyo was a ton of fun given how different and easy to use it was.

I work full time in C and C# and the change from that to enyo (which I don't think is fair to simply label as JSJSJS) $is$ $refreshing$.

THAT is what I will miss.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Call me a pessimist. But I think it is not typically Palm/HP to release an update, the doctor, the kernel sources and a new SDK all in one go. Somehow feels like they wanted to finish of their final piece of work and be done with it...
    Not true. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $this$ $has$ $been$ $pretty$ $standard$ $procedure$ $for$ $webOS$ $3$.$0$.$2$/$3$.$0$.$4$/$2$.$1$.$2$/$2$.$2$.$0$/$2$.$2$.$3$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $silver$ $lining$ $in$ $a$ $very$ $dark$ $cloud$, $but$ $now$ $that$ $the$ $engineering$ $team$ $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $to$ $deal$ $with$ $devices$ $in$ $the$ $pipeline$, $the$ $process$ $is$ $more$ $efficient$.
    Dan Donovan
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast