Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    I think Josh Topolsky said it best - Jon Rubinstein brought Palm from the brink of ruin to the brink of ruin.
    Well, if it is -- everyone should be on the hunt for that last and final Easter Egg in there. I am sure that there was at least one of those software developers that got in a parting shot!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    "Because we can!" His last words as webOS official.
    Those were really prophetic words, if you think about it.
    Newness Developments apps:

Soorma likes this.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    dont kill it give it to us HP.......
    <thread merged>

<<rumor ignored>>
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Regardless of the rumor, I think it's not a bad idea to have the full WebOS Doctor downloaded from HP - the full 225MB installer, not the 800KB XML file. Just in case
    For the sake of speculation, I remember rumors of a Facebook phone, and the infamous Jobs-Zuckerberg fight over the first native Facebook app being on the Touchpad, Zuckerberg's word may not be worth much but I can imagine him being grandiose enough to want his own os to consolidate his empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by brshoemak View Post
    Regardless of the rumor, I think it's not a bad idea to have the full WebOS Doctor downloaded from HP - the full 225MB installer, not the 800KB XML file. Just in case
    Wouldn't worry too much about that right now. HP still has a ton of 1 year warranties to honor.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Apelles View Post
    For the sake of speculation, I remember rumors of a Facebook phone, and the infamous Jobs-Zuckerberg fight over the first native Facebook app being on the Touchpad, Zuckerberg's word may not be worth much but I can imagine him being grandiose enough to want his own os to consolidate his empire.
    I would like FB as buyer... however I was expecting that annoucement on the past conference a few weeks ago... so... no much of a hope in here....

just trying to install oneiric on my touchpad.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    well I think that webos roundup has a 50/50 chance of being right
    this. That site has been wrong before in the past

Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    defend him all you want.
    he helped put palm and webOS into the position they are, where is he now?

what negotiating power does he have to help amazon acquire webOS?
    well for one thing, he works for amazon and is on their board. Pretty important position I think. So I'd tend to believe he could have some influence/ inside perspective on palm/webOs if amazon was interested.
    Last edited by illli; 10/19/2011 at 07:08 PM.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Wouldn't worry too much about that right now. HP still has a ton of 1 year warranties to honor.
    If HP has a years worth of warranties to honor, does this nix sale of hardware division to someone else ? Never heard of warranty angle before, how would this affect webOS sale ? Its hard for me to imagine webOS with out palm hardware, then again look at RIM Playbook , Amazon Kindle Fire and official Playbook Android assisted port. I hope we are not in for a similar fate. I think webOS is still the best, it doesn't need the aimless and distracting bells and whistles of iOS 5 or Android ,which hide their systems shortcomings. Thousands of apps don't make up for mediocre os. I'll believe Ice cream Sandwich when I see it, it could be just a melting mess between soggy cookies that falls apart in your hands
    purplepansy likes this.
    With all these WebOS updates, I believe HP is working on their next enterprise level WebOS enabled printers. That's what they are good at and be able to make a profit out of it. Making phones and tablets are not their strength. They do not have the talents to run that area of business.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by residentcomedian View Post
    So what?
    He never said anything of substance anyway.
    Who cares what he says anymore?
    obviously amazon did or they would not have hired him. Last I checked amazon only had 5 members on their board. That tells me they are pretty selective on their choices.
    If HP has a years worth of warranties to honor, does this nix sale of hardware division to someone else ?
    Hardware division has already been shuttered, as in 500ish folks fired.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    totally sort of maybe on topic: for those of you mentioning you want a windows 7 phone... i'd wait until nokia reveals its new phone. From what I've seen on the interweb, it looks amazing.
    If HP has a years worth of warranties to honor, does this nix sale of hardware division to someone else ? Never heard of warranty angle before, how would this affect webOS sale ? Its hard for me to imagine webOS with out palm hardware, then again look at RIM Playbook , Amazon Kindle Fire and official Playbook Android assisted port. I hope we are not in for a similar fate. I think webOS is still the best, it doesn't need the aimless and distracting bells and whistles of iOS 5 or Android ,which hide their systems shortcomings. Thousands of apps don't make up for mediocre os. I'll believe Ice cream Sandwich when I see it, it could be just a melting mess between soggy cookies that falls apart in your hands
    One of the best posts I've seen in months. I went to the Sprint store last week to explore a possible replacement phone for my aging Pre, and was not impressed with the offerings.
    I don't know if you've read this:

Hewlett-Packard has pulled the plug on tablets running its own webOS mobile operating system, but an HP spokesperson all but confirmed Monday that the computer maker will be building a tablet based on Microsoft's tablet-optimized Windows 8 OS when it's released in 2012.

More here:
    After Ditching TouchPad, HP Turns to Windows 8 for Next Tablets | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

So sad.... HP lost the nerve to invent. "Go with the flow" should be their motto.

Pfffffffttt !

Edit: Just saw another thread here, along the same lines... But it's still sad.
    WebOS still makes sense.
    If true: "Aawww!"

Maybe: "We Drift Aimlessy with the Strongest Percieved Current" is a more relevant 'Motto' now??

They should give WebOS to US!
    That article didn't tell us anything we didn't know yesterday or 2 weeks ago.

According to the article:

That's in contrast to consumers, who buy devices like tablets expecting an entirely different level of vendor support—the TouchPad didn't necessarily fail to due to core hardware or OS issues, but probably in large part due to a lack of webOS apps and services relative to Apple's market-dominating iPad tablet.
    That's funny, that's not how they led us to believe in the beginning at launch, with it's "lackluster hardware" and "buggy OS"

Apps, apps, apps -- apparently they ARE important after all.

As far as confirming no more webOS....I thought that was stated on the 20th of August give or take a day?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Putz... this threads with this titles...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast