Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    dear jason,

over at hp, we know the left hand doesn't know anything that the right hand is doing.

if the rumors over @ wor are true, what makes you think the software engineers know what's going on over at corporate headquarters?

hp execs pulled the rug from under the hardware engineers feet just before the pre3 and touchpad go's release...neck even rubinstein, Dewitt, and bradley were blindsided, perhaps with a few weeks notice before the rest of the webos team.

I've come to realize hp is not to be trusted as a company. Rumors such as these always seem to be based on some fact...

the whole thought of losing webos is just heartbreaking...

now if you excuse me I need a drink...
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'm pretty sure in regard to the WOR rumor, Andrew Rich, an engineer @ Palm, tweeted:

I would assume he meant to say "and you shouldn't either".

Interestingly, a minute or so before that tweet, he also tweeted:

If HP is supposedly killing webOS before the end of the month, and the source of the rumour came from a guy in engineering, you'd think Andrew would be aware. Color me suspicious of the validity of the rumour.
    The rumor might be wrong but Arthur claims he got it directly off one of the engineers and he hasn't struck me as the sort of guy to simply make stuff up. So *someone* in the business group thinks that are getting the bullet at the end of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    dear jason,

Rumors such as these always seem to be based on some fact...
    How come we always get/got leaks from HP be it good or bad and the devices arent even ready to launch, but then apple can produce a few million iphones and announce them and nobody has the exact input. HP isnt too secure at handling its info or plans :-/ I really don't like the look of this. I still am curious why Ruby hasnt said ANYTHING? As I posted in the other phones forum...I am looking if i want to get a WP7 device or iPhone 4s....I just want a reliable/good camera and 4s looks amazing for that. I'll get my webOS fix with my TouchPad. If we EVER get more devices I'll jump back to the phones, but it dont look good cause HP sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The rumor might be wrong but Arthur claims he got it directly off one of the engineers and he hasn't struck me as the sort of guy to simply make stuff up. So *someone* in the business group thinks that are getting the bullet at the end of the month.
    One thing is certain, the engineers would be the last people to know.

The rumor may have something to it because a lot of people would know about it by now. If they got it from a senior exec or HR then it is more than just rumor. Getting it from a engineer doesn't necessarily mean that it's not true, it's just that the information was passed down though the rumor mill.
    I'm not saying it's completely untrue. What I am saying is I'm suspicious. HP gave over a month between the time the hardware guys were announced to be let go to when the were actually let go. I'm saying if they're letting go all of the people at Palm, and 1 engineer knows but another doesn't, and it's supposedly happening this month, I'm a bit suspicious. I have no doubt WOR did get an anonymous tip saying what the article states. However I am suspicious of the validity. There is almost certainly some truth; maybe webOS was sold off, maybe webOS is indeed shutting down, or maybe it's just an option on the table had hasn't been decided. That's the uncertain situation we were in before this rumour anyway, lol. Or even possibly this is a disgruntled employee trying to make HP look worse (as one tried a year ago spreading the Android Palm device rumours).

Point is I don't know, but I'm not taking rumour posts at face value; we'd have a Sprint Pre3, Sprint Pre2, and Print Pre+ if that were the case
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    kill_dano likes this.
    I

Point is I don't know, but I'm not taking rumour posts at face value; we'd have a Sprint Pre3
    What? You mean my Pre 3 that I just paid $$$ for won't run on Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Call me a pessimist. But I think it is not typically Palm/HP to release an update, the doctor, the kernel sources and a new SDK all in one go. Somehow feels like they wanted to finish of their final piece of work and be done with it...
    Definitely, they've done it right for the first time.
    Newness Developments apps:

Of course the engineers think they are going to lose their jobs, why wouldn't they? I think this particular tidbit is just a rumor based on nervous employee gossip, but they will all eventually be fired if nothing changes for webOS (which is a likely scenario), so it has a grain of truth.

They really ought to be shopping their resumes right now regardless.
    I'm not saying it's completely untrue. What I am saying is I'm suspicious. HP gave over a month between the time the hardware guys were announced to be let go to when the were actually let go. I'm saying if they're letting go all of the people at Palm, and 1 engineer knows but another doesn't, and it's supposedly happening this month, I'm a bit suspicious. I have no doubt WOR did get an anonymous tip saying what the article states. However I am suspicious of the validity. There is almost certainly some truth; maybe webOS was sold off, maybe webOS is indeed shutting down, or maybe it's just an option on the table had hasn't been decided. That's the uncertain situation we were in before this rumour anyway, lol. Or even possibly this is a disgruntled employee trying to make HP look worse (as one tried a year ago spreading the Android Palm device rumours).

Point is I don't know, but I'm not taking rumour posts at face value; we'd have a Sprint Pre3, Sprint Pre2, and Print Pre+ if that were the case
    Dear Jason,

You are confusing Americans with the word "rumour" please spell it appropriately. You may spell it however you like when a Canadian/Canadien team actually wins the Stanley Cup Finals again.

Sincerely,
    ~LizardWiz()
    who obviously knows employees at HP and says he heard it from them, this is a very strong rumor. He says it would be fact except there is no press release from Palm so he is saying it is a rumor. Someone from HP/Palm is going to have to comment on this I think. It is terrible rumor if not true and if it is not true, it needs to be shot down.
    No offense, but the dude was an intern. That does not mean that this does not have anything behind it. Even if he was a Director level he probably would have heard information like this through the rumor mill. Information like this does generally disseminate downwards rather quickly, but even a Director would not be in any meetings concerning any of this.

HP/Palm will not make any comment on this either.
    tomeknerijk likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    em.. he's not dead!
    he is to the webOS faithful!

he was at the helm when palm made mistake after mistake on their own,
    then sold palm to the evil and clueless HP empire, who subsequently killed webOS.

and what does Jon have to say about all this?

nothing...not a peep...not even a "stay tuned" or "coming soon" response or appearance to talk about the disaster he helped play a part in.

yes, to the webOS faithful Jr is dead.

then sold palm to the evil and clueless HP empire, who subsequently killed webOS.

nothing...not a peep...not even a "stay tuned" or "coming soon" response or appearance to talk about the disaster he helped play a part in.

yes, to the webOS faithful Jr is dead.
    Er, for all you know, he is spearheading the negotiations with Amazon and could be part of some package deal to bring webOS over there.

He actually didn't "sell" palm. Palm was purchase by an offer made by HP that shareholders voted on.

Unless Jon was a majority share holder, in reality he had no control long term over the sale of Palm. It was an acquisition of a publicly traded company.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JED-WEB-OS View Post
    Jon Rubinstein must be rolling over in his grave!
    lol he's alive...but a part of him inside might be dying watching the demise of WebOS

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Soorma likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    He actually didn't "sell" palm. Palm was purchase by an offer made by HP that shareholders voted on.

Unless Jon was a majority share holder, in reality he had no control long term over the sale of Palm. It was an acquisition of a publicly traded company.
    defend him all you want.
    he helped put palm and webOS into the position they are, where is he now?

what negotiating power does he have to help amazon acquire webOS?

he did some talking before when palm was in the process of looking for a buyer,
    but he's very quiet now...
    defend him all you want.
    he helped put palm and webOS into the position they are, where is he now?

what negotiating power does he have to help amazon acquire webOS?

he did some talking before when palm was in the process of looking for a buyer,
    but he's very quiet now...
    Okay I said nothing of Amazon. Not defending him, lots of factors put Palm in this position. As was mentioned before he is no longer part of palm or even the same unit that is over Palm. So he has no place to speak on the future of Palm.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Okay I said nothing of Amazon. Not defending him, lots of factors put Palm in this position. As was mentioned before he is no longer part of palm or even the same unit that is over Palm. So he has no place to speak on the future of Palm.
    my fault someone else mentioned amazon...

I don't want a response from him on the future of webos...in fact I want him as far away from webOS as possible...but I do think he should have commented on what HP has done to webOS.

but anyway...wishful thinking
    I think you only get him to comment on HP when they are no longer writting him a paycheck, maybe never depending on where he goes next. Remember CEO's are still CEO's even when they get fired, look at Leo. Failed at SAP and then HP paid him a ton without meeting him to cut their stock price in half and lose them what I would estimate to be billions no matter what happens.

"Because we can!" His last words as webOS official.
    Soorma likes this.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast