Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Now that there has been a major ruling in the Apple-Samsung fight...with many, many more fights to follow, please read the following article at the provided link.

After reading the following article and specifically the following line:

As for non-Android devices — such as Windows Phone, webOS and BlackBerry models — they don’t have as much to worry about.

I have the following question:

I think it makes Palm/webOS more valuable than ever and just like the dumb luck that HP stepped into when thy created the rush on remaining TouchPads...they actually may by accident of timing get more then they paid and spent afterward on Palm/webOS/TouchPad/Pre2/Pre3 & veer......

How do all you you feel about this?

Does Apple’s Patent Win Against Samsung Put More Android Devices at Risk?
    By Christina Bonnington October 13, 2011 | 6:00 pm

Does Apple’s Patent Win Against Samsung Put More Android Devices at Risk? | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    geekpeter likes this.
    I would say Apple's win is making Android less lucrative than it makes webOS more valuable.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I would say Apple's win is making Android less lucrative than it makes webOS more valuable.
    Hi, I think this win for Apple plus the fact that Amazon just got sued for using a number of what were palm's patents, make sit more likely that Palm/webOS will be bought up...I still think Amazon is a very likely choices, since buying Palm/webOS will likely get them out from under these lawsuits...or at least make them go away easier...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I also believe webOS will be bought at the end and that there are interested parties. I would really love to be able to see negotiations, I bet there are some funny moments. I guess HP is trying to sell it for more than 1.2b and buyers are trying to go under that price, both using same arguments for comlpitely opposite intentions.

My new favorite buyer is Sony.
    My new favorite buyer is Sony.
    Mine too. That "webOS world" with toasters, phones, and washing machines is only possible with them (from the suspicious companies list).
    Newness Developments apps:

WebOS is only valuable to someone who needs patents. Palm has a lot of patents, and HP and who ever buys WebOS will get those too. I would be willing Google will buy WebOS and consume it without ever using it. Maybe making it open source while Google takes and owns the patents that go along with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    WebOS is only valuable to someone who needs patents. Palm has a lot of patents, and HP and who ever buys WebOS will get those too. I would be willing Google will buy WebOS and consume it without ever using it. Maybe making it open source while Google takes and owns the patents that go along with it.
    Yup the patents is the most valuable thing about Palm. As much as we all love webOS the patents are the big deal.
    Its sad that is true. I have a feeling who ends up buying Palm from HP won't be buying Palm but their patents and WebOS. Oh well Tizen looks like it has potential to be something great. And Nokia and Microsoft is a good partnership.
    Didn't Palm split a long time back and weren't a lot if not most of their patent portfolio sold off long ago? I'm confused. I hear a ton about this but I swear I remember this from before the HP purchase etc.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Didn't Palm split a long time back and weren't a lot if not most of their patent portfolio sold off long ago? I'm confused. I hear a ton about this but I swear I remember this from before the HP purchase etc.
    Hi, you're part right and mostly wrong!

Palm sold of a very small amount of their patents...they were sold to Access which then became Arcadia....

1. whoever owns Palm/webOS is grandfathered into those patents in perpetuity!

2. Palm sold very,very few of it's patents....most of it's patents weren't salable then but many of them are worth big bucks now! FYI....they hold multiple patents in roll up screens...that wasn't possible when Jeff Hawkins got the patents....they are possible now....just for the time being too expensive to do...but since electronics by a loose rule of thumb tend to come down by a factor of 10 every 3 to 4 years...it will be possible soon....that's just a 2 or 3 of if it's many patents....

3. THE PALM PATENTS PORTFOLIO CONTAINS OVER 1,000 PATENTS....they sold off approx a dozen...that money was used to develop new smartphones and webOS!

4. I would also think if Amazon would buy Palm/webOS they would also have an easier time of making the suit that was just file against them a few days ago, (former Palm patents), go away!

That alone would be reason enough to buy Palm.

5. I've stated this a few times in the last week or so....I've been much to busy to look for it, but I did post a thread that Amazon is also interested in tech that HP just acquired while they were still betting on webOS, (I believe the tech is called NFS)...using smartphones as wallets.....

Amazon wants this tech because they are already in effect a bank...they clear huge amounts of transactions daily 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week...transfers from bank accounts, credit card transactions, etc. ....they are doing it for other firms as well as their own...(often you will see items on Amazon that will be shipped by Amazon for another firm...Amazon stores the items in it's own warehouses and ships it for other firms and gets a % of the profit and under Amazon Prime gets it there in only 2 days)........

Amazon would then have a whole new world of fees to exploit for the A/R "bank" department....that would be setting up NFS equipment in retailers all over the place and then getting a piece of the profits....(generally merchants pay a % of the price of an item to the banks for clearing a credit card transaction...this is called the "discount rate".....each bank or credit card set's it's own rates and it's very competitive....

Amazon could easily run this thru their existing tech...

So I think that HP may sell off Palm/webOS and this other tech if Amazon is the buyer...

Take care,

Jay
    it is NFC - Near Field Communication
    ilovedessert likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
    it is NFC - Near Field Communication
    hi all,

Thanks a million,

Take care,

Jay
    I thought HP was supposed to announce their decision last week?? How come no news outlet is asking what HP's decision is regarding the PSG and webOS?

No news for weeks really puts me in a position to start looking at Android or iOS. Sorry guys, I love webOS but my phone is on the brink of dying and I just can't keep holding out.
    well, it looks like HTC lost to Apple as well:

HTC loses patent claim against Apple - FT.com

HTC should've rethought the webos patent purchase, unless HP is making it difficult and not selling off the patents.
    tons of generalities here. Palm's "patents." I love that. Which patents? what numbers? Are they even for the technology in question? Are they close to expiration.

It's always just Palm's patents. Apple's patents. The only people talking in the specifics needed for a real analysis are the courts so for me. That's the only opinion i care about. Not a bunch of people talking in massive sweeping generalities about areas of law they don't even practice in.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    I thought HP was supposed to announce their decision last week?? How come no news outlet is asking what HP's decision is regarding the PSG and webOS?

No news for weeks really puts me in a position to start looking at Android or iOS. Sorry guys, I love webOS but my phone is on the brink of dying and I just can't keep holding out.
    If they made the decision as to who won the bidding last week, they would be smart not to announce it before the deal is closed and all papers are signed.

If your phone is dying, you should by all means buy a new one. Even if the sale has happened and is merely in the process of closing, you would not get a new phone out of it within the next few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    tons of generalities here. Palm's "patents." I love that. Which patents? what numbers? Are they even for the technology in question? Are they close to expiration.

It's always just Palm's patents. Apple's patents. The only people talking in the specifics needed for a real analysis are the courts so for me. That's the only opinion i care about. Not a bunch of people talking in massive sweeping generalities about areas of law they don't even practice in.
    You don't need to be a patent lawyer to understand the competitive landscape of the mobile technology space and the nature of patent utilization to gain advantage over your competition. You don't even require a high school diploma as it is clearly spelled out in each of the 100's or so articles per day relating to these patent lawsuits amongst the mobile manufacturers. You have to be aware that companies get bought every day solely for their intellectual property. You do understand the how a company who originated smartphone concepts could have relevant patents.

Nobody here has done the due diligence auditing of the books, but it is absurd to think that no companies are...
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    You don't need to be a patent lawyer to understand the competitive landscape of the mobile technology space and the nature of patent utilization to gain advantage over your competition. You don't even require a high school diploma as it is clearly spelled out in each of the 100's or so articles per day relating to these patent lawsuits amongst the mobile manufacturers. You have to be aware that companies get bought every day solely for their intellectual property. You do understand the how a company who originated smartphone concepts could have relevant patents.

Nobody here has done the due diligence auditing of the books, but it is absurd to think that no companies are...
    Yea. but thatdoesn't serve well his (more than) probable theory that says that webOS worths nothing, Palm, Inc. worths nothing, and nobody is interested at all on it.
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    I thought HP was supposed to announce their decision last week??
    Idiotic rumors --- started by Apple Insider. Then even more idiotic press people believe Apple Insider really has inside information in HP for all places.
    The biggest losers are the consumers. Not everyone that wants smart phones and tablets want iphone or ipad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast