Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    HTC definitely not buying webOS.

This is a sad news for webOS fans who were expecting HP sell webOS to HTC , a great smartphone hardware maker, but according to FT today news , Peter Chou HTC CEO says however that HTC no plans to buy its operating system.

The company had considered buying HP´s webOS operating system, but had decided to stick with licensing Google´s Android system and Microsoft´s Windows, he says.

The main reason is , he was outweighed by the benefits of being part of a large Android market place for applications.

HTC has developed its own OS, HTC Sense which makes easier to use the camera or to get and automatic weather report to the handset, he said.

From a rumored unkown list of 12 bidders http://www.precentral.net/decision-w...rly-week-rumor, we have had information of Samsung, HTC (both not buying HP webOS) and Amazon.

The question is who is the company interested in buying webOS, that could launch webOS units in 2012, if HTC and Samsung are not in ? Well, rumors still.

Full article:
    HTC eyes further content acquisitions

Peter Chou, chief executive of HTC, says the Taiwanese company is considering further acquisitions of media and content companies in order to step up its battle to become one of the world’s best-known smartphone brands.

“Having leading-edge technology is no longer enough. It needs to be a holistic experience of hardware, software and content. What users really care about are the day-to-day experiences,” Mr Chou tells the Financial Times.

HTC, which competes with Apple, Samsung and Nokia, has already acquired a number of content companies, including Saffron Digital, a UK video streaming company, which it bought for £30m this year and Onlive, the California-based games company, for $40m.

HTC also spent $10m on a 10 per cent stake in KKBox, the Taiwanese online music service.

As well as its launch on Wednesday of handsets running on Microsoft’s new Mango operating system, the company last week launched two phones – The HTC Sensation XE and the HTC Sensation XL. The Sensation phones were co-branded with Beats, creators of the famous Beats by Dr Dre brand, best known for their large distinctive headphones. HTC spent $300m on buying a controlling stake in the company earlier this year.
    Mr Chou says more deals could be on the cards.

“We are open-minded [about acquisitions]. We have a lot of cash and if a deal makes sense, we will do it. We are open to making investments in key components to ensure we are providing a unique experience,” he told the FT.

Mr Chou’s comments come after HTC last week reported another quarter of record revenue and profits in the three months to September, although the company’s profit margins continued to decline. Mr Chou, however, had said earlier that he was more concerned with growing absolute profits as HTC broadens its market, rather than defending margins and average selling prices.

HTC, the which is number five by global market share in handsets, had net cash of $3.7bn at the end of the second quarter this year.

Mr Chou says however that HTC has no plans to buy its own operating system. The company had considered buying Hewlett-Packard’s WebOS operating system, but had decided to stick with licensing Google’s Android system and Microsoft’s Windows, he says.

Although it is challenging to differentiate while using the same operating software as rivals like Samsung and Nokia, Mr Chou says this was outweighed by the benefits of being part of a large Android marketplace for apps. He believes HTC can make small refinements on top of the basic system that will can make its products stand out.

The company has developed its own branded software, HTC Sense, which sits on top of the operating system and makes it easier, for example, to use the camera, or to get an automatic weather report to the handset.

“We can differentiate with our hardware design and we can innovate with the user experience, while at the same time leveraging the large marketplace for Android apps,” he says.

Once a contract manufacturer for other brands, HTC has been selling its own-branded devices for just four years. However, this week it was included, for the first time in Interbrand’s list of the world’s top 100 brands.

The patent wars buffeting the handset industry do not appear to worry Mr Chou. Apple and Microsoft have challenged handset makers using the Android operating system in courts in Europe, the US and Japan, over alleged patent infringements. HTC lost an initial patent infringement ruling to Apple earlier this year, sending shares in the company down.

“It is part of the business and we just have to manage that. We have hired some more lawyers and our legal team has to work harder, but it is not affecting our go-to-market strategies,” he says.

HTC also plans to continue to making tablet computers, despite the fact that many competitors have struggled and some, such as Hewlett-Packard and Sharp, have dropped out of the market.

“We are still at the very beginning, we are still fine-tuning but HTC is positioned very well to be in the tablet market because we can bring a lot of synergies from the handset business. HTC’s brand awareness is also becoming much better,” he said.

Mr Chou said the company was looking to launch a new tablet next year, but acknowledged the pressure in the market was intense.

“We need to come out with something really cool,” he said.

HTC eyes further content acquisitions - FT.com
    Last edited by akitayo; 10/12/2011 at 10:45 PM.
    I'm betting LG, or no one at all.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm betting LG, or no one at all.
    What about Dell ? or maybe PCs makers like Asustek, Acer that want to go in the smartphone race ?

Short List:
    Dell
    Asustek
    Acer
    Sony
    LG

Who is missing on the list?
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    What about Dell ? or maybe PCs makers like Asustek, Acer that want to go in the smartphone race ?

Short List:
    Dell
    Asustek
    Acer
    Sony
    LG

sharp
    toshiba
    I don't know if anyone wants to buy and support the webOS. My feeling is that a company would buy for the patients. Even windows is making a bigger dent than webOS has done. Sad because I feel this is the best OS as many others do. It doesn't matter any more. Something big would have to happen now to save this OS.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Hhmm.. I had some hopes of HTC going through with it too!

Thanks for the update.
    something's odd. they wouldn't push out a maps update for old pre's and pixi if the entire OS and project were being sacked. perhaps this is the last nod to the old phones before the new customer picks up. (i.e. maybe amazon or whoever the buyer is doesn't want google maps or anything to do with google).
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    sharp
    toshiba
    Thanks I forgot those companies before. Sharp is a good company They are making some smartphones hardware for SoftBank in Japan.

Some 2010 videos where you can see the Sharp hardware:

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I just cried an e tear.
    Im betting no purchase, but a strategic partnership to produce specific devices with HP controlling the software, wuth any of the hardware manufacturers controlling designing and making the hardware, and then selling the divices to cusotmers/carriers.

Its so obvious, at this point - if HP wanted to sell WebOS, they would have already, at a firesale price.

I could be wrong, but, look at the recent Bing Maps update, and each day, my pPre 3 and TP gets more and more apps.. software development has continued to forge ahead!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Im betting no purchase, but a strategic partnership to produce specific devices with HP controlling the software, wuth any of the hardware manufacturers controlling designing and making the hardware, and then selling the divices to cusotmers/carriers.
    Why bother? That puts you in the same situation as licensing Android or WP7 except you start from a lower base - why start again from scratch unless you are going to own the actual platform?

Its so obvious, at this point - if HP wanted to sell WebOS, they would have already, at a firesale price.
    Why is it obvious? Equally likely that a) Maybe nobody wants it once they take a look at the books or b) HP are still in paralysis/expect an unrealistic price for it.
    Dazo likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

I could be wrong, but, look at the recent Bing Maps update, and each day, my pPre 3 and TP gets more and more apps.. software development has continued to forge ahead!

I'm leaning more in this direction. HP will try and right the ship and hopefully fire their marketing staff, because they did not help the situation one bit.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    If a product is made right, it'll sell itself.
    If that was true, the IBM PC and Windows would have been crushed by numerous superior computer systems in the 80s, and we would all have had V2000 video recorders instead of VHS or Beta.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Meh, the OS would be for the patents anyway.

If we want blue sky thinking, I would rather go with HP reinstating PSG and all of a sudden reinstate webOS devices as well.
    who owns panasonic? The interface on their bluray players is poor.

likewise denon on their receivers
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Why bother? That puts you in the same situation as licensing Android or WP7 except you start from a lower base - why start again from scratch unless you are going to own the actual platform? .
    Why bother? Because its a new opportunity to explore with minimal risk, and maximum upside potential - that's what strategic partnerships - JOINT VENTURES, are all about. They often occure between competing companies who see strengths in one another's assests but a merger of any kind is out of the question, so, they create a strategic partnership.. a relationship for a specific project where they both have specific and dedicated responsiblities to perform for the project to come to fruition.

This isn't the same as licensing the OS.. its part ownership of both entities in the joint venture.

Why is it obvious? Equally likely that a) Maybe nobody wants it once they take a look at the books or b) HP are still in paralysis/expect an unrealistic price for it.
    Its obvious because WebOS is still being worked on at HP. Software development hasnt stopped, and they are still courting developers. They plan on WebOS continuing on, IN ITS CURRENT USE, but, they still havent stated that they are making new hardware themselves.. that means that they are investing in the software aspect of WebOS.. probably in keeping with their new vision to be a "software" company.

Just remember, the public (you, and me and everyone else NOT inside HP, HTC, Samsung, Apple, etc..) is always the last to know what really happens. Just because you see no action, and here specifically sculpted statements from HTC and Samsung, and dont hear ANYTHING from Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, Sony, etc.. doesnt mean that they arent talking directly with HP about using WebOS in some form or another.

And, yes, it also doesnt mean that they are, just for the record.. but, HP is behaving as if WebOS will live on as a viable mobile OS, at the moment, when they still proceeded to cut the whole WebOS hardware division, but kept the software guys pumping away improving the OS (including now making Enyo apps backwards compatible with previous WebOS versions???) and app development for devices that they say they arent going to manufacture any more.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Just remember, the public (you, and me and everyone else NOT inside HP, HTC, Samsung, Apple, etc..) is always the last to know what really happens.
    You forgot the WebOS business unit, they generally find out stuff at the same time as the public. All you've given is a definition not an explanation of why in this particular case there is an upside to licensing WebOS - why do you think this is 'minimum risk'?
    Last edited by CGK; 10/13/2011 at 08:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I believe that the orginal bidders for Palm were
    HP
    Apple
    Google
    Lenovo
    RIM

It would seem a reasonable assumption that some of them might still be interested especially as at least two of them only wanted the patent portfolio.

Andrew
    You forgot the WebOS business unit, they generally find out stuff at the same time as the public. Also for future reference, you don't need to explain basic business terminology to me, I understand it perfectly - all you've given is a definition not an explanation of why in this particular case there is an upside to licensing WebOS - why do you think this is 'minimum risk'?
    You arent the only one who reads these forums and these posts.. I dont intend to condescend to you, but, rather to explain it to all who read here (many don't understand the difference betwen licensing and a Joint Venture, and think WebOS can olnly be licensed or sold, and no other alternative, which is NOT the case), however, YOUR question implies that you didn't/don't understand the benefits of those types of business arrangements, as well, so, I expanded to help clarify the benefits.

Minimal risk means that the risk is limited to only those resources each contributes to the project, and doesnt extend beyond that into the remaining company resources - this is usually stated in such agreements.

So, they could start small, say, one smartphone, or one tablet. If it fails, no harm, limited loss, each walks away with a predictable calculated maximum loss. If it succeeds, there would be another device based on those same terms, or modified to help expand the Joint Venture's potential, however, the risk may increase, to each party, as well, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post

Short List:
    Dell
    Asustek
    Acer
    Sony
    LG

You're forgetting LazyBoy. Lol jk

This is a bad, bad day for WebOS fans. But to the ones who said the rumors of people buying WebOS was just made up, it is now confirmed that HTC considered buying WebOS. So thats not made up.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast