Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree12Likes
    I am not liking the impending sense of doom...
  2.    #102  
    You maybe would like to read this post:http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...ml#post3211001

I hope to be wrong but now more than ever, HTC wont rethink in someway to buy webos. They are very sure about their decision and one of the reason might be HTC is number one as 4G smartphone in the USA, 2Q2011, using android. That is sad for webos fans.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    You maybe would like to read this post:http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...ml#post3211001

I hope to be wrong but now more than ever, HTC wont rethink in someway to buy webos. They are very sure about their decision and one of the reason might be HTC is number one as 4G smartphone in the USA, 2Q2011, using android. That is sad for webos fans.
    The more I think about it - it's more likely that WebOS will be bought by a company on the way down desperately looking around for something that *might* give them a chance. HTC sold more devices in the UK alone that WebOS devices were ever sold and Samsung has sold three times more of a single phone (the Galaxy) than were ever sold of WebOS devices. It brings nothing (saleswise) to the table for the big players beyond access to patents.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The more I think about it - it's more likely that WebOS will be bought by a company on the way down desperately looking around for something that *might* give them a chance. HTC sold more devices in the UK alone that WebOS devices were ever sold and Samsung has sold three times more of a single phone (the Galaxy) than were ever sold of WebOS devices. It brings nothing (saleswise) to the table for the big players beyond access to patents.
    webos would be indeed most likely be bought by a company that is not already successful in the smartphone market.

IMHO it's fairly simple. If a company has expanding business, decent margins and satisfied investors it will be reluctant to risk any of that.

A potential buyer has to be unsatisfied - either because they are relatively new in this market (or about to enter it) or used to be better and now slipping.
    That's why HP bought Palm. It's a big tech company - but had hardly any presence in the growing and important mobile business.

But to such a firm webos has a lot to offer. The basic choice is whether they want to own their own platform - or just be a licencee. As Apple shows owning the platform for yourself is a good thing for a company.
    Sharing the platform with the competition lowers risk and development costs, but is no fun otherwise.

For a big player it must be tempting to be like Apple. And for any such company webos is very valuable. Compared to starting fresh webos is a shortcut of several years.

Your conclusion is the reason why I don't believe there will be any licencees. Licencing webos would be a weak move - because if you are willing to share the platform you can just as easily licence Android at much less risk and investment.

But it might be bought be a wannabe Apple. Sony is a good candidate for that. Their presence in the smartphone and tablet market is small. And Sony is used to be a bigger and more independent player. The used to be like Apple before Apple. When Jobs started he wanted Apple to be like Sony.
    Sony is planning *something*. Otherwise they wouldn't spend money to buy out Ericssons part of SE.

Another credible option is Dell. Until a few years ago the biggest PC seller (until HP got that place). They tried for years with several PDAs and smartphones. Not very successfully.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    For a big player it must be tempting to be like Apple. And for any such company webos is very valuable. Compared to starting fresh webos is a shortcut of several years.
    Good analysis but the only thing I'd say is that it is only a partial short-cut and in many ways, even if they spend a billion dollars buying it off HP, it's actually the cheapest bit. If you are going to compete, then it also requires that you spend many billions building the backend - for example, icloud required Apple to build two big data centres which are estimated to be in the region of $1-2 billion - that's a separate capital spend that itunes and other services. Also they started on those centres around 2009/2010 so they realised that they needed two-three years to get this stuff ready.

So anyone who wants to go it alone has to be willing to sink those sorts of billions into the back-end if they want to be able to compete against Apple, Microsoft and its partners or Google and its partners. They also need to be prepared to take massive losses for at least three to four years while they build infrastructure. This makes sense for Amazon because they already have the infrastructure, their model is a reversal of what we have currently seen - build a device, build an eco-system, they have build an eco-system (over a decade) and now are building the device.

So while I could see Sony many leaping in, do they have the nerve or the finances to compete or build the infrastructure?

As for Dell, maybe they might buy it but I think they suffer from the same problem as HP, a culture of trying to do R&D on the cheap and an eye for the short-term. That's before you get into the issues of designing and marketing competitive devices, attracting developers to your platform etc etc.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Doesn't Sony already have experience with that kind of network infrastructure due to the PlayStation? On the other hand they didn't do it very well, at least in terms of security.
    Sony already has a cloud infrastructure in place. They have all sorts of content readily available in the cloud as well. This is a good fit. I guess it really depends on if they would like to differentiate themselves from other competitors with their own proprietary OS.
    I dont care who buys it as long as webOS continues. I was hoping HTC would at least make the hardware end of it.
  9.    #109  
    I read somewhere SONY has decided to go all the way with Android for smartphones.

I found the news: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...id=S-UB1STzTbo
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456