Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Yeah, that's not really how contracts work, companies just don't write ambiguous open ended contracts, especially for products on a platform that they have no interest in supporting or updating. And if it was really a contractual obligation then it would most likely have been done long ago when the rest of the contract was fulfilled. If you don't think that this could (even remotely) possibly have anything to do with showing potential buyers the viability of Enyo than you are surprisingly sillier than even your comments make you appear.

No, companies don't let unsubstantiated rumors about themselves fester and gain steam, they put an end to them right away. No company is going to let their strategic partnerships and contractual obligations wonder what is happening. That just doesn't happen, not even in the world that you seemingly live in.
    Steve Ballmer showed up at RIM Blackberry World --- and we still haven't seen Bing search on Playbook yet.

And most of them aren't even "rumors". They are almost always --- some guy writing "what if" this company buy that company. Then idiotic bloggers just cite the first guy's ranting as a rumor.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    I have no idea where you are going with this, but for the sake of entertaining whatever point you are attempting to make, consider this...

Apple, by your own admission, has at least 10 X's the number of developers, and even with their latest iOS 5 update, the messaging is not even close to being as slick and sophisticated as the one the crappy webOS team managed to put together.
    Apple has their own design priorities --- it works for them. I am certainly not going to question them.

Nobody stands still in silicon valley. Is webos moving forward --- in absolute terms, yes. But in relative terms, they will fall behind because all the other platforms are throwing people and money left and right.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The problem is that the competition is putting 10x more resources into these other platforms --- they are pushing forward at the speed of light. In 6 months, webos will feel like a biplane when the rest of the competition is living in the jet plane era.
    While I can understand your skepticism (or bais, whatever), I don't think its quite fair to state this FACTUALLY.

At least, not yet.

They are continuing developing webOS. FACT.

Apps for the TP and Enyo are climbing in numbers, even after the annouced discontinuation of webOS hardware 2 months ago. FACT.

Updates have been, and still are coming (even for the unreleased ATT Pre 3, a doctor was released 2 weeks ago with an UPGRADED OS). FACT.

Now, can all this stop tomorrow? Sure.

But,, by the same token, webOS can be licensed, reinsituted inside of HP as a vital software platform for partnering up with a or various hardware partners for mobile devices, which would mean that HP would then begin to pour even more into it in resources.

If they sell Palm and webOS, then THAT company may, or may not invest heavily in it. We don't know. And please, don't prognosticate, as you always do to the negative; really, we do not know, ok?

There are way too many questions here than answers, and, more often than not, its what we do NOT know that is of the most value.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Wait - you are really claiming that HP is putting as much resource into its limbo platform as apple is putting into iOS and the Android partners are putting into android or WP7 partners are putting into WP7? Really?

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    And how many employees are working on webos? It's going to be a lot smaller than the other firms. The Astonishing Tribe has 180 employees.
    As of 2009 there were 160-190 engineers working on Android. I think it says all.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 10/14/2011 at 05:46 PM.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    While I can understand your skepticism (or bais, whatever), I don't think its quite fair to state this FACTUALLY.

At least, not yet.

Apps for the TP and Enyo are climbing in numbers, even after the annouced discontinuation of webOS hardware 2 months ago. FACT.

Updates have been, and still are coming (even for the unreleased ATT Pre 3, a doctor was released 2 weeks ago with an UPGRADED OS). FACT.

But,, by the same token, webOS can be licensed, reinsituted inside of HP as a vital software platform for partnering up with a or various hardware partners for mobile devices, which would mean that HP would then begin to pour even more into it in resources.

If they sell Palm and webOS, then THAT company may, or may not invest heavily in it. We don't know. And please, don't prognosticate, as you always do to the negative; really, we do not know, ok?

There are way too many questions here than answers, and, more often than not, its what we do NOT know that is of the most value.

THIS.

Now, anyone can say bright or dark, and everyone can agree/disagree about the future of webOS, but webOS isn't in "support state" or similar, Google/Apple/RIM isn't dedicating much more resources and webOS isn't stagnant now.

Tomorrow webOS could be a Sony/Amazon/[put your preferred buyer here] property, an ancient story, or any mixed state between both, but now webOS development is full steam.

But in relative terms, they will fall behind because all the other platforms are throwing people and money left and right.
    Sorry, no. the difference is they are putting devices on the shelves. It's HP the only one which is throwing people and money left and right, without any return of investment.

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Now, anyone can say bright or dark, and everyone can agree/disagree about the future of webOS, but webOS isn't in "support state" or similar, Google/Apple/RIM isn't dedicating much more resources and webOS isn't stagnant now.
    For an OS that is based on the web, webos has the worst performing browser. That's called stagnant.
    For an OS that is based on the web, webos has the worst performing browser. That's called stagnant.
    That's a silly argument, if it's an argument.

No that's called you trying to be funny but looking foolish.
    Hey cool it's 2011 and the most that the web has to offer is a web browser!
    Wow man, that is like really progressive...
    For whatever reason, there will be always people here and internet spreading lies about webOS state, only they could figure what reasoning moves them to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

At least, not yet.

While your optimism is admirable, I think you are misreading the current development effort. I have seen nothing to indicate the HP is doing anything except basic fixes to the OS side of webOS. What they do appear to be doing is building out the Enyo framework. I am guessing they figure they can push that out to the consulting side of their business as a fast and flexible way to leverage the web, even if they are not able to sell webOS.

So if your hope is to keep Enyo, and everything that entails, you are probably right, but if you hoping to see the OS part of webOS continue, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    While your optimism is admirable, I think you are misreading the current development effort. I have seen nothing to indicate the HP is doing anything except basic fixes to the OS side of webOS. What they do appear to be doing is building out the Enyo framework. I am guessing they figure they can push that out to the consulting side of their business as a fast and flexible way to leverage the web, even if they are not able to sell webOS.

So if your hope is to keep Enyo, and everything that entails, you are probably right, but if you hoping to see the OS part of webOS continue, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
    And you conclude this because...? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Enyo$ $continues$ $on$ $the$ $same$ $exact$ $1$.$0$ $version$ $released$ $with$ $the$ $Touchpad$, $while$ $webOS$ $has$ $received$ $updates$ $and$ $new$ $bundled$ $apps$.

It's amazing how people reach conclusions. I can't bet for anything right now, but people seems to know everything about webOS future.

We can all agree that recent situation is unhealthy for webOS development and that other platforms are in much better position. No one is denying that webOS is still developing, but no one can deny fact that webOS couldn't catch up with competition once when it was HP's darling, so is logical to expect it's further deterioration now when new HP exec can't figure what to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    We can all agree that recent situation is unhealthy for webOS development and that other platforms are in much better position. No one is denying that webOS is still developing, but no one can deny fact that webOS couldn't catch up with competition once when it was HP's darling, so is logical to expect it's further deterioration now when new HP exec can't figure what to do with it.
    Yes, it's unhealty. Absolutely. But there is people here denying webOS development.

Now, we can discuss about if webOS has been really HP's darling after Hurd, which I highly doubt.

Because I am an active developer and read the developer forums religiously. Not here to troll, but do you actually read the release notes of the updates. Most of the fixes are to Enyo, not the OS.
    Because I am an active developer and read the developer forums religiously. Not here to troll, but do you actually read the release notes of the updates. Most of the fixes are to Enyo, not the OS.
    thing is that hardcore webOS users can live with flaws In webOS performance and they don't care about slow rendering, slow application launches, problematic scrolling and other stuff that rest of us can't stand.
    Of course most of the fixes come to Enyo. It's the newest framework, and more prone to bugs. What do you expect about updates on an OS which development framework is Enyo? Cocoa updates?

I know what I would like to see - work on hardware acceleration of visual elements.
    "there will be always people here and internet spreading lies about webOS state" reminds me a lot of the people that used to talk about how the "naysayers" were wrong and that the TouchPad was actually selling well and the Pre 3 was still going to come out by the end of summer.
    koolkid09 and sinsin07 like this.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast