Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Didn't HP lay off 500 people working on webOS? Doesn't that really say it all? They have probably retained just enough webOS staff to meet their obligations to current webOS device owners.
    yeah, that to me says there probably won't be a 360-netflix change of mind. 500 is a lot of people. Besides, from how hp handled this entire situation, I really rather they sold it to some company that would treat it right.

then again, I can see maybe someone just buying it for the patents and killing webos. At this point that might hold more value than the software itself.
    Rumor mill is still saying Amazon. Although I personally don't see the point.
    Kookaroo, the Roku remote for webOS
    Amtrak Commuter, Check your Train schedule
    GPortal Google shortcuts for Google Plus, Google Voice, Google Tasks and other Google Services
    SiteStatus and SiteStatusPro website monitoring tools for webOS
    Amazon still makes no sense.

Re above remarks about a company buying webos to get patents - that doesn't make sense either. Buying Palm to get Palms patent assets last year - ok.
    But Palm has been dissolved. It's assets belong to HP.

You don't need to buy webos to buy any patents. These are distinct.

With Samsung and HTC gone the 2 best bets are sadly off the list now.
    That leaves companies like Sony, Dell, Lenovo and a couple other potentials.

Releasing an update for webos sadly doesn't mean much. As long as HP is employing devs they can just as well do something. And pushing out an update for Maps (and Enyo for the other 2.x devices) - that was probably close to being finished anyway - doesn't cost them anything extra. It makes sense to push out an update to send a signal for continued support and/or to keep things warm for a potential buyer and therefore protect sales value. But that doesn't prevent HP from firing or redeploying devs in a couple months if all negotiations fall through.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If we just stick to the mobile sector - that seems to leave Sony-Ericsson? Now they might be interested if Sony buys out Ericsson but from what they were saying during their quarterly results - they are a) expecting to go all in on Android and b) they expect the market to slow (in Western Europe as least) because of economic conditions - so I don't think they will be interested either?
    I have to think that the most recent Bing Maps update probably speaks to the seriousness of Amazon's interest. I am sure that it was some sort of due diligence on HP's behalf, why else would they possibly consider putting out an update for phones that HP abandoned long ago? I do not think that it is merely coincidental that this new update not only proves the viability and speed of Development with the Enyo platform, but, it also just happens to utilize GPS services NOT offered through Google (which is a fundamental premise in developing applications for the Kindle Fire platform). I would guess that Amazon is more than likely testing the true portability of Enyo cross platform functionality as we speak by using the new Bing Maps app on a test Kindle Fire.

I would think that Amazon is certainly interested in Palm for it's patents and Enyo as the development platform for the Kindle Fire, but, I could be wrong and they are actually considering utilizing webOS on a new line of mobile devices as it would mitigate future patent lawsuits targeted at the Android platform...
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Here's another reason why Amazon might want to get into this business: Google prepping its own MP3 music store | VentureBeat Yes, getting into the phone/tablet business is competing with Google (of course they already did that with their app store and with their tablet). But Google is increasingly increased in competing with Amazon directly on Amazon's own turf.

All the players in this field have been gradually expanding the scope of their business to try to control the entire experience of users. Apple showed Amazon that it wasn't good enough to just have a Kindle app on a platform, the platform owner may decide to compete directly (e.g. selling ebooks). Google has already made moves to sell ebooks, now moving on music as well.

I still think the Bing maps update is meaningless. HP probably made a licensing deal and got a payoff from Microsoft for using Bing. Either they were contractually required to put it on all devices or the amount they get paid depends on the number of devices it is installed on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    I still think the Bing maps update is meaningless. HP probably made a licensing deal and got a payoff from Microsoft for using Bing. Either they were contractually required to put it on all devices or the amount they get paid depends on the number of devices it is installed on.
    Bing-o! Just because HP discontinued their tablets and are winding down webOS, that doesn't mean that contracts associated with webOS suddenly become null and void. Outside companies still want to get paid for services they agreed on. You'll still see updates to apps for a while.
    Bing-o! Just because HP discontinued their tablets and are winding down webOS, that doesn't mean that contracts associated with webOS suddenly become null and void. Outside companies still want to get paid for services they agreed on. You'll still see updates to apps for a while.
    Sure. That is absurd to think that HP chose to consider old Palm phones in any licensing agreements when they clearly were not going to support them internally. The TP/Pre3/whatever else contract has been in place for so long. You people really think that they had some contractual obligation, but only chose to partially fulfill it until they decided to kill their hardware offerings altogether? You guys are too funny...

I think it is pretty significant.
    I think the fact that Amazon has yet to come out and publicly deny the rumor is even more telling.
    Even if Amazon ultimately does not end up buying Palm, I have to believe that they are SERIOUSLY considering it at this point.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Sure. That is absurd to think that HP chose to consider old Palm phones in any licensing agreements when they clearly were not going to support them internally. The TP/Pre3/whatever else contract has been in place for so long. You people really think that they had some contractual obligation, but only chose to partially fulfill it until they decided to kill their hardware offerings altogether? You guys are too funny...

I think the fact that Amazon has yet to come out and publicly deny the rumor is even more telling.
    Even if Amazon ultimately does not end up buying Palm, I have to believe that they are SERIOUSLY considering it at this point.
    Microsoft paid their money to put bing map on the platform. It's Microsoft's money --- they can do whatever they want.

There are all kinds of silly rumors flying around. It is very entertaining to see Samsung denying, denying, denying, denying, denying... these rumors.

It doesn't really matter that HP still has 200-300 software engineers working on webos --- when their competitors are putting in 10x more resources on these other platforms. By next week, Google would release Ice Cream Sandwich and RIM would release Playbook OS 2.0 --- and both would release Flash 11 next week. In 6 months, everybody is moving to quad core.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  10.    #50  
    webOS not anymore on HP Discovery catalog sessions.

In Vienna, Austria HP is going to hold the HP Discovery event NOV 29-DEC 1st and after making some searchs on the link below I did not find any session relative to webOS anymore, like they were on HP Discovery Las Vegas before in last Jan 6-10, 2011.

Unless you find it.

https://h30550.www3.hp.com/scheduler/catalog.do

So what is happenning with webOS . ???
    Is HP studying bidders offers for webOS?
    Did HP already sold webOS?

Suspense time.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    what innovations in the consumer sector has HP come out with in the last ten years? Honest question because I can't think of any.
    You are right . Nothing new in that sector and it is about time HP to do something unexpected.

However thay have a large list of consumer products, like most of competitors:
    HP® Official Store — HP Laptops, Notebooks, Desktops, Printers, Handhelds, Scanners, Monitors, Calculators, Tablet PCs, All-in-ones and Smartphones
    Microsoft paid their money to put bing map on the platform. It's Microsoft's money --- they can do whatever they want.

There are all kinds of silly rumors flying around. It is very entertaining to see Samsung denying, denying, denying, denying, denying... these rumors.

It doesn't really matter that HP still has 200-300 software engineers working on webos --- when their competitors are putting in 10x more resources on these other platforms. By next week, Google would release Ice Cream Sandwich and RIM would release Playbook OS 2.0 --- and both would release Flash 11 next week. In 6 months, everybody is moving to quad core.
    Some people think that repeating a lie makes it look like true, and seems you're one of them.

Probably webOS is right now the platform which more human resources dedicated to it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Some people think that repeating a lie makes it look like true, and seems you're one of them.

Probably webOS is right now the platform which more human resources dedicated to it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Compare to what?

RIM has 17000 employees and they are falling behind Apple and Android. WebOS had 1000 people and they are firing 1/2 off.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Compare to what?

RIM has 17000 employees and they are falling behind Apple and Android. WebOS had 1000 people and they are firing 1/2 off.
    Your last post says it all about the credit your words deserve on this topic. Do you know how many of those 17.000 employees work on BBOS or QNX? All of them, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    The contracts are likely for the webOS platform, which runs on phones and tablets. And who knows how long they run? The fact that there are still updates for a platform that is no longer being produced on any hardware by anyone pretty much points to contractual obligations and good PRPRPR ($and$ $HP$ $and$ $webOS$ $can$ $sure$ $use$ $it$ ...) -- $HP$ $isn$'$t$ $doing$ $this$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $goodness$ $of$ $their$ $hearts$. $If$ $they$ $could$ $kill$ $webOS$ $right$ $now$ $and$ $not$ $suffer$ $any$ $further$ $repercussions$, $they$ $likely$ $would$, $just$ $to$ $be$ $done$ $with$ $the$ $whole$ $fiasco$. $This$ $is$ $like$ $people$ $who$ $divorce$ $who$ $still$ $live$ $together$ $out$ $of$ $necessity$ -- $can$'$t$ $go$ $on$ $forever$. $I$ $imagine$ $it$'$s$ $uncomfortable$ $for$ $the$ $Dead$ $Man$ $Walking$ $webOS$ $employees$ $to$ $pass$ $other$ $HP$ $employees$ $in$ $the$ $hall$, $probably$ $not$ $much$ $eye$ $contact$ $there$.

Why would they spend any time denying it? If they did deny it, people would just point to other rumors denied by companies that turned out to be true. They are very busy promoting their new tablet and Kindles, there's no need to shift the discussion to a far-fetched rumor.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Why would they spend any time denying it? If they did deny it, people would just point to other rumors denied by companies that turned out to be true. They are very busy promoting their new tablet and Kindles, there's no need to shift the discussion to a far-fetched rumor.
    Then following your logic, why Qualcomm, Samsung and now HTC have denied (or confirmed them considered but discarded it) the same?

Not saying that there is anything in the works, but definitely companies deny this kind of info when they can deny it.

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Your last post says it all about the credit your words deserve on this topic. Do you know how many of those 17.000 employees work on BBOS or QNX? All of them, it seems.
    And how many employees are working on webos? It's going to be a lot smaller than the other firms. The Astonishing Tribe has 180 employees.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Then following your logic, why Qualcomm, Samsung and now HTC have denied (or confirmed them considered but discarded it) the same?

Not saying that there is anything in the works, but definitely companies deny this kind of info when they can deny it.
    They started denying it because the press kept on asking them about it --- distracting their own messages.

Even if they are interested in buying it, they would be buying it for the engineers and the patents --- not an aging OS that is built around the web principle yet has IE6'esque browser.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    The contracts are likely for the webOS platform, which runs on phones and tablets. And who knows how long they run? The fact that there are still updates for a platform that is no longer being produced on any hardware by anyone pretty much points to contractual obligations and good PRPRPR ($and$ $HP$ $and$ $webOS$ $can$ $sure$ $use$ $it$ ...) -- $HP$ $isn$'$t$ $doing$ $this$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $goodness$ $of$ $their$ $hearts$. $If$ $they$ $could$ $kill$ $webOS$ $right$ $now$ $and$ $not$ $suffer$ $any$ $further$ $repercussions$, $they$ $likely$ $would$, $just$ $to$ $be$ $done$ $with$ $the$ $whole$ $fiasco$. $This$ $is$ $like$ $people$ $who$ $divorce$ $who$ $still$ $live$ $together$ $out$ $of$ $necessity$ -- $can$'$t$ $go$ $on$ $forever$. $I$ $imagine$ $it$'$s$ $uncomfortable$ $for$ $the$ $Dead$ $Man$ $Walking$ $webOS$ $employees$ $to$ $pass$ $other$ $HP$ $employees$ $in$ $the$ $hall$, $probably$ $not$ $much$ $eye$ $contact$ $there$.
    Yeah, that's not really how contracts work, companies just don't write ambiguous open ended contracts, especially for products on a platform that they have no interest in supporting or updating. And if it was really a contractual obligation then it would most likely have been done long ago when the rest of the contract was fulfilled. If you don't think that this could (even remotely) possibly have anything to do with showing potential buyers the viability of Enyo than you are surprisingly sillier than even your comments make you appear.
    No, companies don't let unsubstantiated rumors about themselves fester and gain steam, they put an end to them right away. No company is going to let their strategic partnerships and contractual obligations wonder what is happening. That just doesn't happen, not even in the world that you seemingly live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    I have no idea where you are going with this, but for the sake of entertaining whatever point you are attempting to make, consider this...

Apple, by your own admission, has at least 10 X's the number of developers, and even with their latest iOS 5 update, the notifications is not even close to being as slick and sophisticated as the one the crappy webOS team managed to put together.
    Last edited by LizardWiz; 10/14/2011 at 03:35 PM.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast