Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
  1.    #1  
    AppleInsider | HP set to decide future of Palm, webOS this week

Apple insider says that a meeting has been called for tomorrow to announce WebOS direction and fate.

Anyone got any scoop?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/11/2011 at 06:13 PM.
    Crossing my fingers for smth good
    We'll know soon enough

Crossed@fingers
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Unlike all the other rumors like Samsung which were quickly denied, the Amazon rumor hasn't.

But if it indeed goes to Amazon it will be gobbled up and will never resemble the webOS we've all known and loved. I would also doubt that there would be much if any support in the way of updates to the last remaining devices.

I have a feeling no matter what the decision is tomorrow, it will be the end of webOS.
    please keep my webOS alive.
    something224 likes this.
    Appleinsider got the scoop on webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    Appleinsider got the scoop on webOS?
    Maybe we'll all be in for a shocker tomorrow and find out Apple bought webOS for the patents.
    I think were screwed

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    ----------------------------------------
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be, unnatural"
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I'm afraid you will be right
    I bet the new Pivot, that's going to be out, umm, any, day, now, is going to announce the saving of WebOS! Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket. Sure, it could happen, sure...
    Well they might change their minds based on the customers like Nexflix did

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Unlike all the other rumors like Samsung which were quickly denied, the Amazon rumor hasn't.

But if it indeed goes to Amazon it will be gobbled up and will never resemble the webOS we've all known and loved. I would also doubt that there would be much if any support in the way of updates to the last remaining devices.

I have a feeling no matter what the decision is tomorrow, it will be the end of webOS.
    There wasn't anything to deny to begin with.

Samsung + webos is a plausible option.

Amazon + webos isn't. Makes 0 sense.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Maybe we'll all be in for a shocker tomorrow and find out Apple bought webOS for the patents.
    I don't understand why people think this is connected in any way. webos and any patents is two different things. If Apple were interested in any Patents (and there would probably be competition from Samsung, Google, MS, etc...), they could easily just buy those - and nothing else.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by robotech1985 View Post
    Well they might change their minds based on the customers like Nexflix did
    Netflix has 23.6 million subscribers that pay a fee to Netflix every month.
    webOS has a tiny fraction of users and most of the value in webOS is in the patents since there are no monthly fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I don't understand why people think this is connected in any way. webos and any patents is two different things. If Apple were interested in any Patents (and there would probably be competition from Samsung, Google, MS, etc...), they could easily just buy those - and nothing else.
    Explain to me how a company could sell the patents to one company and then sell the technology to another and how that wouldn't cause a problem?
    well what ever happens i have my pre 3 and its a great phone. weather it gets updates or not ill still have it for a few years till it breaks down or they shut the palm profile servers down haha.
    This is what I'm afraid of. why is "appleinsider" breaking with this story. Maybe HP lost money and now wants to sell it's assets to recoup a loss to shareholders. the blimp apple buys the patents and burys webos. this would really suck. what could apple do with it = only good thing which is nearly impossible is apple decides to add a HTML/JSJSJS $programming$ $layer$ $ontop$ $of$ $iOS$ $based$ $on$ $webOS$. ($To$ $complete$ $with$ $MSFT$). $But$ $why$ $would$ $they$ $need$ $that$ $if$ $they$ $have$ $the$ $best$ $selling$ $OS$ $already$.

Hopefulyl the amazon story is true. THis is the only good thing that can happen. No one's gonna buy webOS itself = they're going to buy it for the patents as well. webOS is simply a HTML/JSJSJS $programming$ $layer$ / $GUI$ $ontop$ $of$ $a$ $linux$ $base$.

I was really hoping MSFT would have been more interested. Windows 8 apps can be written in HTML/JSJSJS - $so$ $why$ $not$ $just$ $purchase$ $palm$ $and$ $it$'$s$ $patents$. $The$ $GUI$ $for$ $webOS$ $is$ $awesome$ $and$ $having$ $MSFT$ $with$ $it$'$s$ $capital$ $would$ $be$ $awesome$ $so$ $our$ $apps$ $could$ $run$ $on$ $windows$ $8$ $desktops$. $Not$ $sure$ $why$ $MS$ $never$ $had$ $any$ $interest$.
    Same here, I have my awesome Pre 3 to keep me in webOSville for a year of two more. Hopefully a competent suitor will pick up webOS and finally take it to the next level and put it on some new state of the art hardware. Guess I will hold off purchasing a backup Pre 3 until the future of webOS becomes clearer in the next few days.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

If Amazon purchases, they only care about selling their services which makes it more likely future updates 'might' be supported for current TP hardware (hopefully)
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Same here, I have my awesome Pre 3 to keep me in webOSville for a year of two more. Hopefully a competent suitor will pick up webOS and finally take it to the next level and put it on some new state of the art hardware. Guess I will hold off purchasing a backup Pre 3 until the future of webOS becomes clearer in the next few days.
    agreed the thing is the portrait slider smart phone is the perfect form factor for me. im not a huge fan of horizontal sliders and virtual keyboard so its going to be hard for me to switch to something else after the pre 3. unless its another portrait slider webos smart phone.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast