Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    With the reports of not spinning things off hopefully and Meg wanting to make the announcement in October... I'm wondering if she won't try and capitalize on the larger WebOS userbase post-firesale and make a push for getting devices out to market for the holiday season.

Pre3 are pretty much ready to go, and people have paid upwards of $700 for the ATT & Verizon versions in rare cases. If she gets their act together, they could have a 16/32GB 10" Touchpad, 7" Touchpad Go, ATT & Verizon Pre3 back on the market all together.
    It's too late for this holiday season - even if she decided today to bring those things back, you simply couldn't get things into place for Christmas; the devices are only one part of the overall picture.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Thats right Diane, I've also been keeping my Pre (-) until 3 weeks ago.
    Got a Pre3 now and holding up this while playing aground with WebOS its just crazy how they can canceled this thing!!
    This is the device that all WebOS fans wished for, and I wish all WebOS fans can get on, or at least a Pre2 which still a good device.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I have not posted here much in the last year or so, just happily going along with my ORIGINAL PalmPre and STILL LOVING IT

Its just soo sad, that, a better OS , that was not properly funded or marketed from its inception, will just go away, while IOS and Android continue to
    thrive.

I have played extensively with both,
    and can NOT for the life of me (other than the money and marketing blunder) understand how they both thrive, while WEBOS, clearly the superior OS, just flounders away.

I will keep my Pre till the very end of when I can.. and cry the day I have to leave it behind for some Android device (I simply refuse to to the iphone route)

**sigh** just sad..
    I'm in the same boat, sadly! iOS lacks multitasking & cardview & feels long in the tooth in some ways, and unless ice cream sandwich is a major jump in the UI and cohesion I'm at a loss for what I have to jump to kicking & b/tching...!
    This "larger webOS userbase" people are mentioning is an artificially inflated userbase. If they rev things back up to sell webOS tablets again at a price that doesn't have them losing $200 per tablet, it's been proven that no one will buy them. If they make tablets again, I'll eat my hat if they run webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    This "larger webOS userbase" people are mentioning is an artificially inflated userbase. If they rev things back up to sell webOS tablets again at a price that doesn't have them losing $200 per tablet, it's been proven that no one will buy them. If they make tablets again, I'll eat my hat if they run webOS.
    No one will buy a WebOS tablet? Having one tablet, that was hardly advertised, being released and never selling is not proof that people will not buy WebOS tablets. It's proof HP didn't care to sell the TouchPad. It also didn't help that the display units were flawed and buggy and never fixed, while the actual units sold were not as buggy because of updated software.

Now lets say Apple released the iPad without advertising. The demo units were buggy and slow. Would the iPad sold as well as it did without advertising, without perfect software that made the device seem seamless -- because it truly is a seamless experience? I doubt if Apple did what HP did in those two areas the iPad would have sold.

So no, it has not been proven that WebOS tablet can not sell. It's been proven that HP lacks the ability to advertise it's product and get units moved without super cheap pricing.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's also down on the peak of WebOS which I believe was @ 2-3 million users around late 2010- early 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    No one will buy a WebOS tablet? Having one tablet, that was hardly advertised, being released and never selling is not proof that people will not buy WebOS tablets. It's proof HP didn't care to sell the TouchPad. It also didn't help that the display units were flawed and buggy and never fixed, while the actual units sold were not as buggy because of updated software.

Now lets say Apple released the iPad without advertising. The demo units were buggy and slow. Would the iPad sold as well as it did without advertising, without perfect software that made the device seem seamless -- because it truly is a seamless experience? I doubt if Apple did what HP did in those two areas the iPad would have sold.

So no, it has not been proven that WebOS tablet can not sell. It's been proven that HP lacks the ability to advertise it's product and get units moved without super cheap pricing.
    I think you're allowing your opinion of webOS to cloud your ability to be rational about its place in the current market. It wasn't display units or advertising, it was the fact that no one wanted a webOS tablet. They wanted an iPad, or barring that, an Android tablet (but mostly, they wanted iPads).

Why is webOS less than 2% of the mobile phone market, and why did webOS tablets gather dust on store shelves before the firesale? It's because it's a niche OS in an iOS/Android world. HP could've had the best displays in the world set up, and run the most ingenious marketing campaign, and people would still yawn and walk past to the iPads. There's just no market for it. Consumers have a herd mentality, and they want what their neighbors and friends have, and none of those neighbors and friends have a webOS device.

HP would be insane to jump back in after they've managed to wash their hands of webOS.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    This is my third time through this, OS/2 and BeOS have taught me that either a product catches on or it dies, regardless of how well it's put together. WebOS didn't catch on, and now it's on life support with no miracle awaiting it. I love WebOS, but I've let go, I'm not going to try to get a Pre3, I've decided not to FrankenPre... I'm going to hang onto my Pre and Touchpad while I can... then I'll find something else.

If HP continues in the Tablet space, it'll be with Windows 8 or Android not WebOS. The best we can hope for is that these new HP tablets will still have touchstones and that Android and Windows will pick up some of what WebOS did right.
    LabRat and sinsin07 like this.
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I think you're allowing your opinion of webOS to cloud your ability to be rational about its place in the current market. It wasn't display units or advertising, it was the fact that no one wanted a webOS tablet. They wanted an iPad, or barring that, an Android tablet (but mostly, they wanted iPads).

Why is webOS less than 2% of the mobile phone market, and why did webOS tablets gather dust on store shelves before the firesale? It's because it's a niche OS in an iOS/Android world. HP could've had the best displays in the world set up, and run the most ingenious marketing campaign, and people would still yawn and walk past to the iPads. There's just no market for it. Consumers have a herd mentality, and they want what their neighbors and friends have, and none of those neighbors and friends have a webOS device.

HP would be insane to jump back in after they've managed to wash their hands of webOS.
    The "no one wanted it" factor was part of what they were looking to address with the displays and demos. Not everyone just goes along with the herd, and things can change. Most, at least, of us wouldn't be here on this site if we were part of the herd. And for all the people who haven bought iPhones and iPads, there's still a majority of the population that hasn't.

IMO, (warning: armchair analysis!) looking at the iPad's success, part of it is because there hasn't been a sustained successful viable alternative. I'm not pretending that's easy by any stretch of the imagination; I'm just saying nothing's gotten to a clear second place--not by deliberate effort, anyway. And without a clear alternative, process of elimination says "Ok, go with the leader." Look at Microsoft in the PC business when Apple's marketshare was in the single digits.

Looking more closely at tablets... None of the Android models have stood out from the rest--at least, not enough for the average consumer. The PlayBook was half-baked. The TouchPad--if effectively marketed--could have been that alternative. Going at it now, that might still be possible--the only other option since then has been the Kindle Fire--if whoever wants to take it on is up for much more of a climb.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    There is a market for non Apple tablets,
    Watch the first 10 mins

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Before the firesale, I had never heard about webOS, though I like Linux. (correction: Had read reviews that it was cool.)

I have a viewsonic tablet with vegan ROM from xda, and it was not a pleasant experience. Compared to that webOS rocks on the HP Tablet.

I was lucky to get a Pre 2 for firesale price and love it too. Did not know HP had these phone before.

HP could have done a lot better with the webOS devices, with better prices and marketing.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gianny View Post
    Amazon Kindle Fire hit with patent lawsuit.
    Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet hit by patent lawsuit | Politics and Law - CNET News

Maybe they will buy or license WebOs after all.
    I'm not even going to click the link - Acacia right?

They sue anyone successful.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    You can't really compare anything to Apple's success. Apple managed to put a premium on their products, that people are still willing to pay, that allowed them to profit from a small portion of the PC market. Steve Jobs single-handedly brought Apple back from the brink of destruction, and his charisma and vision is why Apple is successful.

Does webOS have a Steve Jobs? Does it have anything that would cause consumers to pay a premium for it that would allow it to prosper with less than 2% of the mobile market? You can't take something that rarely happens (Apple going from near-death to what it is today) and apply it to everything and say, "Hey, it's possible!" It's the same as someone who thinks because their neighbor won the lottery, they have a great chance at it as well.

I don't begrudge you guys for hanging on and hoping webOS doesn't fade away. I no longer have a Pre, and I suppose the only reason I hang around here is to observe and debate on the webOS trainwreck that's occurring, but if I did own one, I'd probably be doing the same thing as you. I owned an Atari 800XL when everyone else had a Commodore 64, an Atari Lynx when everyone else had Gameboys, and HD-DVD player when everyone else had Blu-ray. I get the underdog deal, but I also jumped from those sinking ships (except the 800XL ... I have one in my attic!).
    Ya, I would say webOS is a special product that is worth a premium price. Unfortunately it has never been fully realized. Optimize the OS for the hardware on something like the ipad2 device profile, with GBU and it would turn heads. The problem is resources and half-<deleted by staff> to market devices. Even the touchpad is a windows tablet design that was tweaked bc HP had already placed orders for its parts and decided this would be an easy fix to get rid of the purchase order. Rubenstein kept fighting the decision but obviously Leo could have cared less- hell, he thought HP should scrap hardware all together. If Hurd was still at HP, the TP would have been a true competitor in the market & the lazy delayed launch after months of already showing the wares off wouldn't have transpired in my opinion.

Leadership change, or lack there of is what saddled the hopes of a proper launch of webOS under HP. No excuses, but plenty of people with little experience or knowledge of webOS have loved stumbling upon the touchpad and how awesome it really is even if its half baked to retail bc of Leo's master plan. Honestly, if the webOS was properly supported and placed on a device like the ipad2, few people would take ios or android over webOS if it paid the same level of support like the other 2 get via Apple and Google. But, they are not, and speculation doesn't change the cluster**** webOS has been subjected to. Really I just think I disagree with your assertion that webOS doesn't have a premium that would gain sizeable share if it didn't live in a world of band aid devices and so the full and true potential that it has hasn't even seen the light of day- and sadly probably never will. I guess at the very least they introduced some beautiful features resrts in the UI and integration, since everybody from Android to Apple, RIM, and WM7 have pilfered portions of it.

I just sad that it never got a chance to be properly ported and optimized bc I think it would run circles around the
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/12/2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: language
    Does webOS have a Steve Jobs? Does it have anything that would cause consumers to pay a premium for it that would allow it to prosper with less than 2% of the mobile market?
    it has greedy and stupid board/shareholders that throttle/puppeteer their so called "CEO", not a winnign combo.
    At this point I'm actually just hoping Apple buys and uses the patents to make iOS better against Android. So much for hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    At this point I'm actually just hoping Apple buys and uses the patents to make iOS better against Android. So much for hope.
    That's just giving up. :-(
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denimadept View Post
    That's just giving up. :-(
    iKnow
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    friskies64 and sinsin07 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Since Android is vastly closer to webOS and follows an open policy about things as opposed to Apple's "We decide what apps and content you can see" Why wouldn't you want Google to make Android better?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post

There's always an excuse. First Palm and Ruby. Now HP and Leo. Its the advetising. It's creepy girl. It's the dispaly units. They didn't use the right celebrities. The sun was not in the right position. Moe Larry and Curly kept playing around with the demo units.

Two different companies. Two different CEOs. But nothing's wrong with webos. Brilliant.
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    So that takes care of the rumored $15 fee for Google's apps, but what about the fees that are being charged by Microsoft for patent infringement?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast