Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
    I'd like to add to that list:

- HP will announce the sale of the (rumoured) stockpile of AT&T Pre3s
    No, they are burying those in the desert next to the Atari classic ET.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Who knows what the licensing fees are for those apps, Google has separate licensing agreements with each manufacturer. One thing is for certain, if you want to use a wireless network with Android, you HAVE to have google apps installed, because the carrier agreements REQUIRE them.
    Which is fine, but it doesn't mean the manufacturers have to pay a licensing fee to Google. Throwing out an arbitrary number like $15 is silly when there is no proof that it's even a penny. Rumor has it that Google actually pays certain manufacturers to continue to use Google, because it drives people to use Android and Google's services. There are certainly license fees for other bits of handset technology, probably every handset maker pays them, but I just don't see any proof that Google asks for anything besides control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Berserk View Post
    Amazon or Facebook seems likely. They will probably change webOS for good or bad.

Google or Microsoft might buy it for the patents and integrate some webOS features in Android/WP.

HP keeps it and it remains status quo.

Or i goes open source!

Thats my bets!
    If Failbook gets webOS... I'll have a Pre, Pre Plus, Veer, TouchPad 32GB with Touchstone, and an AT&T Pre 3 for sale, also a bunch of phone Touchstones.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Hum... look what Rod started today - now is that simply forward planning or does he know something that the rest of us don't?
    Hope for the best, Preware (sic) for the worst.

No inside information here, just pragmatism.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    bevcraw and geeksquadkid like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    I figured as much from past patterns but appreciate the clarification.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Here's my wish for the year,

HTC, Samsung or even Visio buys WebOS and partners with Amazon and Facebook for a hardware/content/social networking conglomerate to take on Googletorola, Apple, and Microsoft & Friends.

Of course with this communities luck, Netflix will buy it and then start to split off, and then not, raise the prices, and make it download only hardware, but then change their mind and just raise the prices some more, but send us a letter saying ... sorry.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    I love the picture at the bottom. Made me laugh.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I know, who would want to do that, when all they'd actually owe Microsoft is $3 to $5 a handset? Maybe they're just feeling generous. And I've been unable to find where it's been reported that Google charges $15 a handset to manufacturers to include the Google app suite on their phones. My understanding is that including the Google apps gets you a shiny "powered by Google" badge, allows Google control over how you use the OS, and doesn't necessarily cost the manufacturer a dime.
    All of the reports I've seen from just about every major tech site (which isn't saying much since the pretty much parrot one another) says that the licensing fees are estimated to be $10-15 per unit. Not only that but I also read that Microsoft is forcing them to make a percentage of their devices WP devices. I have not seen anything that states that the licensing fees are $3 to $5. If you don't include the Google Apps, especially Gmail and the Market, most reviewers and users complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by professionalbum View Post
    No, they are burying those in the desert next to the Atari classic ET.
    Hopefully someone will leak the GPS coordinates to the burial site. Sounds like a road trip in the making.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    All of the reports I've seen from just about every major tech site (which isn't saying much since the pretty much parrot one another) says that the licensing fees are estimated to be $10-15 per unit. Not only that but I also read that Microsoft is forcing them to make a percentage of their devices WP devices. I have not seen anything that states that the licensing fees are $3 to $5. If you don't include the Google Apps, especially Gmail and the Market, most reviewers and users complain.
    Then include those apps, I can't find anything that says Google charges for their use. I do see where some reports say Samsung is paying about $10 a handset to MS, and HTC is paying about $5 per handset. Seems it depends on how you settle with MS, my bad on that one. Since Samsung makes WP7 handsets, I don't see why they wouldn't get the same sweetheart deal as HTC.

Who knows, maybe ICS will work around the things that Microsoft has claimed they have patents for, unless those patents are so tied to Linux that it's impossible. I do know this -- no one is dumping Android for webOS
    Which is fine, but it doesn't mean the manufacturers have to pay a licensing fee to Google. Throwing out an arbitrary number like $15 is silly when there is no proof that it's even a penny. Rumor has it that Google actually pays certain manufacturers to continue to use Google, because it drives people to use Android and Google's services. There are certainly license fees for other bits of handset technology, probably every handset maker pays them, but I just don't see any proof that Google asks for anything besides control.
    Those numbers aren't arbitrary. They are being reported. Granted it is a guess:

Samsung and Microsoft settle Android licensing dispute | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Microsoft, Samsung cross-license patents, skip Android suit | Electronista

Microsoft and Samsung sitting in a tree, patent s-h-a-r-i-n-g -- Engadget

...and that's just Samsung....
    Then include those apps, I can't find anything that says Google charges for their use. I do see where some reports say Samsung is paying about $10 a handset to MS, and HTC is paying about $5 per handset. Seems it depends on how you settle with MS, my bad on that one. Since Samsung makes WP7 handsets, I don't see why they wouldn't get the same sweetheart deal as HTC.

Who knows, maybe ICS will work around the things that Microsoft has claimed they have patents for, unless those patents are so tied to Linux that it's impossible. I do know this -- no one is dumping Android for webOS
    Just added some links before I saw this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Those numbers aren't arbitrary. They are being reported. Granted it is a guess:
    So a guess is fact? These sites use one another as sources, one says $15, they all do. But let's go ahead and say Samsung pays $10-15 a handset, I won't even deny that (though the Google license fee number is indeed arbitrary and likely about $15 off). Why exactly would that lead them to dump Android and buy webOS? The window for webOS closed when Android became widely accepted. Samsung knows it can still make a ton of cash, license fees and all, by selling Android phones. Why in the world would they take a chance on webOS when everyone else who took a chance on it had little or no success?

It's a nice pipe dream, but it doesn't make a whole lot of business sense.

Edit: And who's to say if webOS suddenly became huge, MS doesn't come after it for patent violations? It's under the radar now due to its 1-2% marketshare, but bump that up, and MS will want a piece.
    Last edited by jrstinkfish; 10/11/2011 at 03:59 PM.
    I am hoping that Samsung or HTC buy it and put out some really high end hardware to match WebOS goodness. I waited in line for the Pre on release day and now have a Pre3 and a Touchpad. In between I bounced from Android, Win7, and Iphone. All of them have their ups and downs but nothing beats WebOS. One the other hand all of the Palm/Hp hardware just seems cheep, although I really like the Pre3. Put WebOS on a Samsung G2 and I would be a happy man, and add Swype.
    Ok guys let me lay this to rest: Google does not make money from Android or any fees to the manufacturer. Android is completely open source. I do believe Google's specific apps -- calendar, Gmail and Market Place -- are closed source, but could be open because HTC can change the look of the default apps. However, Google makes money from you using Gmail, the Market Place and other features where ads can be placed.

It is not just Microsoft, Android has so many other patent infringement issues that it is pretty scary. Until they bought Motorola, Googles patent library was negligible in the mobile space, namely, they pretty much had none. Aside from that, they did nothin to defend these lawsuits for their hardware partners. I believe that this Oracle/JAVA issue is, unfortunately, pretty damning for Google here. It appears to show blatant willful infringement. This is somewhat dubious for the platform going forward, especially considering Oracle is attempting to "double dip" ie, they are most likely going to get licensing fees from Google AND their hardware manufacturers for each device sold...
    Quote Originally Posted by woosh View Post
    ahahaha!
    Maybe that's why September's Pivot is taking so long. If webOS is indeed sold, the third party venders are wondering who's going to pay them.
    I'll assume you meant October
    well no news yet 3pm PST so I'm thinking nothing is going to happen..it was indeed just a rumor
    So a guess is fact? These sites use one another as sources, one says $15, they all do. But let's go ahead and say Samsung pays $10-15 a handset, I won't even deny that (though the Google license fee number is indeed arbitrary and likely about $15 off). Why exactly would that lead them to dump Android and buy webOS? The window for webOS closed when Android became widely accepted. Samsung knows it can still make a ton of cash, license fees and all, by selling Android phones. Why in the world would they take a chance on webOS when everyone else who took a chance on it had little or no success?

It's a nice pipe dream, but it doesn't make a whole lot of business sense.

Edit: And who's to say if webOS suddenly became huge, MS doesn't come after it for patent violations? It's under the radar now due to its 1-2% marketshare, but bump that up, and MS will want a piece.
    It's simple. webOS and Android use the same underlying OS, Linux. Add the open source Davlik libraries to webOS and you can run Android apps on it. webOS has rock solid patent protection from Palm. Android does not, which is why Microsoft can get away with charging fees for it. How many handsets and tablets does HTC or Samsung sell now and plan to sell in the future? We are talking about hundreds of millions. Multiply that by $10-15 per device AND having to build WP7/8 devices. You get into the billions quick. For what? An OS (Android) that you don't even see revenue from the millions of apps and content that are sold on the devices that you make every month? Not only that but you have to compete with hardware from the company that makes the OS that you are using and thought was free.

Microsoft did this to Linux desktop distributions and effectively killed their adoption. They are pulling the same trick and succeeding with Android. If they tried to do that with webOS Palm has enough patents to shut down WP7/8/9/X or any other smartphone OS and hardware they try to produce. No one wants to open that can of worms.
    denimadept likes this.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast