Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
    I'd like to add to that list:

- HP will announce the sale of the (rumoured) stockpile of AT&T Pre3s
    I say dream big:
    they announce VZW Pre3 sale.
    Although right now my Pre2 is crashing every 5 minutes, requiring a hard boot and making the phone unusable so I don't think I will buy. (Trying to turn off backup to saying no internet connection despite the emails, twitter and webpages flowing thru)
    My money is on:

#1 is Amazon. Just getting into the tablet business just to sell content. Wants to step into the phone business just to sell content. Jon Rubinstein is on the board bending some ears. Question is what will happen to Luna? webOS is not webOS without Luna. Android isn't Android without Davlik. Both are just mobile Linux without their respective Windows Managers (Luna/Davlik).

#2 is HTC for obvious reasons. Who wants to pay Microsoft $15 a device for a free OS then have to pay Google another $15 just to get Google's services? The market is too competitive to lose $30 per device and not have another revenue stream (app sales, multimedia content) to tap.

#3 is Samsung. Same reasons as HTC. I think there is something fishy with Samsung and Google's decision not to announce the new Nexus phone. They maybe using Steve Job's unfortunate death as cover.

#4 is "some Chinese company". Why? Because they had the money to pay for the OS. We will probably not see webOS again in the U.S. but it will become the most used mobile OS if it is dumped on the Chinese population.
    So as we are placing our guesses

#1 Amazon: They seem to have talked about wanting WebOS and have never denied any of the rumors

#2 Facebook: I can see them taking control of WebOS and licensing it out to hardware devs instead of doing all the hardware in-house.

#3 HTC/LG/Pantech/one of the other smaller phone devs: I think they will be looking at WebOS because they do not have a OS of their own/

#4 Samsung: They have Bada but as far as I know no Bada devices are in the U.S they could switch to WebOS for America users.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Unlike all the other rumors like Samsung which were quickly denied, the Amazon rumor hasn't.

But if it indeed goes to Amazon it will be gobbled up and will never resemble the webOS we've all known and loved. I would also doubt that there would be much if any support in the way of updates to the last remaining devices.

I have a feeling no matter what the decision is tomorrow, it will be the end of webOS.
    agreed, if amazon get it, it wont become a free operating system but a caged in and "own branded" media platform only.
    HP might have tacked on some provisos like keeping luna in place and keeping things open.

I know it's a big if; but what if HP resume hardware and make big on the pre3 and veer updates?
    HP might have tacked on some provisos like keeping luna in place and keeping things open.

I know it's a big if; but what if HP resume hardware and make big on the pre3 and veer updates?
    Id be really happy. I could finally in good conscience move over my whole family back to webos. We left (all but me) after the pre2 was such a non-upgrade. I just got pre3 and love it, finally good hardware... All we need is a 100% larger battery
    So, anyone know what time we should expect to hear something?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    It's nothing more than a rumour that there is a meeting today.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

Amazon certainly wouldn't be interested then.
    Who knows what the future of Android will be. With the Motorola deal, it seems less likely that future versions of Android will be open source. Someone should buy Palm, not just for it's patents, but who knows...
    Amazon or Facebook seems likely. They will probably change webOS for good or bad.

Google or Microsoft might buy it for the patents and integrate some webOS features in Android/WP.

HP keeps it and it remains status quo.

Or i goes open source!

Thats my bets!
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robotech1985 View Post
    Well they might change their minds based on the customers like Nexflix did

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    will they change their minds about the 500 webos staff they already fired?
    denimadept likes this.
    Microsoft has a lot to gain by buying webOS. They could decide to continue production of webOS devices and dumping them at $99 each to keep flooding the market, minimizing Apples gain in marketshare until next spring or Summer when Win 8 is released. MS will play in the hw game too at that point, likely shuttering webOS for good at that time only having used it to minimalize apples gain in marketshare. In the end its likely to be the same death for webOS, either now or later if MS buys in.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Who wants to pay Microsoft $15 a device for a free OS then have to pay Google another $15 just to get Google's services?
    I know, who would want to do that, when all they'd actually owe Microsoft is $3 to $5 a handset? Maybe they're just feeling generous. And I've been unable to find where it's been reported that Google charges $15 a handset to manufacturers to include the Google app suite on their phones. My understanding is that including the Google apps gets you a shiny "powered by Google" badge, allows Google control over how you use the OS, and doesn't necessarily cost the manufacturer a dime.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    will they change their minds about the 500 webos staff they already fired?
    Only the 15 or so who left with Opal 4G's in their possession.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    it will be in the next issue of Pivot
    Quote Originally Posted by musick View Post
    which will be brought to you in kindle only format, from our new overlords.
    Quote Originally Posted by musick View Post
    ahahaha!
    Maybe that's why September's Pivot is taking so long. If webOS is indeed sold, the third party venders are wondering who's going to pay them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I know, who would want to do that, when all they'd actually owe Microsoft is $3 to $5 a handset? Maybe they're just feeling generous. And I've been unable to find where it's been reported that Google charges $15 a handset to manufacturers to include the Google app suite on their phones. My understanding is that including the Google apps gets you a shiny "powered by Google" badge, allows Google control over how you use the OS, and doesn't necessarily cost the manufacturer a dime.
    Who knows what the licensing fees are for those apps, Google has separate licensing agreements with each manufacturer. One thing is for certain, if you want to use a wireless network with Android, you HAVE to have google apps installed, because the carrier agreements REQUIRE them.

That is certainly one reason potentially why Amazon is undoubtedly looking into webOS.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    But if it indeed goes to Amazon it will be gobbled up and will never resemble the webOS we've all known and loved. I would also doubt that there would be much if any support in the way of updates to the last remaining devices.
    I would much rather Amazon license WebOS than purchase it. If they purchase it, I can't see them continuing any smartphones, which is where I have the most interest in webos. but if they license it for tablets, that will at least get the developer community interested in developing for webos, which will help any other hardware put out.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast