Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
    If Amazon purchases, they only care about selling their services which makes it more likely future updates 'might' be supported for current TP hardware (hopefully)
    Right, so either you would get no support for the webOS version on devices (too costly to support multiple versions) and at best they might give you a pathway to something like their Kindle Fire OS based on webOS but your current apps and patches would be gone.

Keep in mind that would only be for TP devices. Amazon has no intentions of going into the phone business.
    If webOS is sold, then here are my two worries:

Worst case scenario: Anyone but Apple please. I am not going to play inside the closed apple playground. That'll be the end of webOS for me. Plus Apple's not going to transform iOS into webOS. The otherway around is plausible. Bits and parts of webOS will be integrated into iOS.

Meh: Amazon buys it. webOS will be butchered beyond recognition and we wouldn't see another phone anyway. BUT ruby is on the Amazon board. That is our only hope.
    HTC were interested too?
    To allow them away from 'Android'?

Wide open!

Maybe someone here can knock up a quick WebOS 'theme' for the iPad.. just in case those guys need to get used to it.. Eeeks!

man im just hoping someone actually uses webos. because in all honesty if you optimized webos and gave it some kick *** hardware, apps or not once people got it in their hands it would decimate all other os's in the market place.
    My biggest concern is the people in charge of choosing the next and "best home" for WebOS are the same people who botched up a perfectly good opportunity to use it to become serious contenders in the smartphone and tablet arenas.

It will be sheer luck if they make a move that will pan out well for WebOS. I think it will be all about "the highest bidder", to be honest, if its a sale.

On the other hand, if they choose a strategic partnership, with a manufacturer like HTC, Samsung, or Lenovo, that could bode very well, as they'd control the software and the partner would design and sell the hardware, and share the profits with HP.

There I go again, trying to inject some common sense into a situation that has been based on anything BUT that.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

fmarcanojr, Gerry42 and retroblu like this.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Or they might have failed to get any interest and might be shuttering the whole operation with a skeleton staff to keep the servers on while devices are in warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Or they might have failed to get any interest and might be shuttering the whole operation with a skeleton staff to keep the servers on while devices are in warranty.
    That could well be their version of 'fully supported'.. yes!

Is not the OS to stay with HP's printer units in some form?
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    That could be their version of 'fully supported'.. yes!

Is not the OS to stay with their printer units?
    Well the OS is now 'owned' by whatever they call their business services group (I forget for the moment) but the staff remain in the PSG, so I guess the original plan was to keep it after the PSG is spun-off.

Maybe they will make the transition to printer software their number one priority?
    Well the OS is now 'owned' by whatever they call their business services group (I forget for the moment) but the staff remain in the PSG, so I guess the original plan was to keep it after the PSG is spun-off.

Maybe they will make the transition to printer software their number one priority?
    If they can't sell it perhaps.. Yes!
    My bets are on Sony (former Sony Ericsson) first, Facebook second, an Asian phone maker third.

I don't really see Amazon, because they already go with Android and would have to begin from scratch again.
    Anyone want to play 'Palm Sell Off Sweepstakes'? Guess how much HP will claw back.

My guess $300M.
    Half price. $600M
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I don't think this is going to happen but I'll go for... Sony for $600 million who use it to further differentiate their android offerings.
    I don't think this is going to happen but I'll go for... Sony for $600 million who use it to further differentiate their android offerings.
    Sony is trying to buyout the Ericsson part of the joint venture. So they can integrate more with their devices. Sony will stick with Android.

But as Rot mentioned maybe some chinese manufacturer will buy or license it? Like Huawei or ZTE?
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Berserk View Post
    Sony is trying to buyout the Ericsson part of the joint venture. So they can integrate more with their devices. Sony will stick with Android.

But as Rot mentioned maybe some chinese manufacturer will buy or license it? Like Huawei or ZTE?
    Of course they will stick with Android but you have to pick someone to play this game even if it's not going to happen!
    I say someone totally off the wall buys it out and dominates the market after about 5 years because this company means business and has an awesome strategic plan , in action !! Lol

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Anyone want to play 'Palm Sell Off Sweepstakes'? Guess how much HP will claw back.

My guess $300M.
    $200M if they are lucky. I actually doubt they will find a buyer for the whole kit & caboodle, and will end up hanging on to it, though perhaps without bits like patents (which though not actually worth a lot, might make a nice bauble to dangle in front of another companies stockholders).

What a sad day.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    If someone has any hint of what will become of the OTA's for HP devices, please let us know !! I really wonder if my off-contract Veer has any future with TTS feature.

I guess the only chance is if HP continues to provide software support and sell exclusive licenses to hardware manufacturers :/
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    ka1 likes this.

Interesting that about Pivot. IMO, the best option is Sony. They can integrate webOS deeply in a ton of different devices. My second option is HTC.

If it's Amazon, then say bye to phones.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by deCorvett; 10/11/2011 at 07:04 AM.
    Newness Developments apps:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast