1.    #1  
    I don't want to use T-mobile's gprs service. It's too expensive. However, I wonder if the update contains other benefits, such as better echo cancellation.

Is the update worth it if I don't want gprs?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    I'm using the 1.1.1 patch without the service. There are a lot of benefits (echo cancellation, speaker phone on before other end picks up, etc.) but there are a few gotchas too. (the ringer changes to T-Jingle after a reset, the big dial-pad button is gone, etc.)

Read through some of the other threads here before you patch, to see if it's worth it for you.
    I know absolutely nothing about wireless technology, the acronyms and the like.

I'm thinking of getting either a Treo 300, the Kyocera 7135, or the Palm Tungsten W 1st Quarter of '03.

Could someone briefly explain the differences in GPRS and GMS, etc. as it would relate to one's decision to purchase one of the above products?

Thanks.
    Hello msneider, I definitely recommend buying a device that supports GPRS. With GPRS you can stay online as long as you like and you only pay for the traffic. I am using Orange in Switzerland and I pay about 1 US$ per megabyte. This is not so bad, and in Treo's Blazer web-browser you can disable graphics downloads. I am using the Treo GPRS mainly for reading/writing emails and 1MB of text is a lot.

GPRS is available in most countries in Western Europe now, but unfortunately there are no agreements between operators in different countries. This means that when I travel abroad, I can not use the GPRS anymore, but I have to switch to an international ISDN modem connection back to my home country and this is expensive.

As GPRS becomes more common, I am sure the prices will drop plus international "GPRS roaming" will be available.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by msneider
    I know absolutely nothing about wireless technology, the acronyms and the like.

I'm thinking of getting either a Treo 300, the Kyocera 7135, or the Palm Tungsten W 1st Quarter of '03.

Could someone briefly explain the differences in GPRS and GMS, etc. as it would relate to one's decision to purchase one of the above products?

Thanks.

In a nutshell, GPRS is an enhanced system for GSM. The primary benefits are faster data transfer and always on connections.

However, the Treo 300 and Kyocera 7135 don't use either GSM or GPRS. They use other (CDMA) networks and can get as good or better speeds. The difference is like asking whether your car has a manual or automatic transmission--either kind of car will get you from point A to point B.

The Tungsten W is a GSM device. However, do bear in mind that the only way to use the Tungsten W for voice calls will be with a headset (which may or may not be an issue for you). If that's a factor, you may want to consider the Treo 270 instead.

Here are some factors you should bear in mind:

- Who are the most prevalent cell phone companies in your area/places you're likely to travel? Do you know anyone with newer devices (i.e. the last 3 months) from those companies, and how good a signal they're getting?

The Treo 300, as you probably know, is only available from Sprint; the Kyocera 7135 will be from Verizon (maybe Sprint too, but I haven't seen anything on that); I don't know if there's been an announcement on carriers for the Tungsten W, but it'll be either AT&T, Cingular, or T-Mobile (it's a GSM device, and they're the major GSM carriers). However, people with older phones on any of those networks may have different reports on signal strength, etc., because the older phones use separate, older networks.

- How do you plan to use the device? As a phone? As a mobile email unit? Do web browsing on the go? All of the above? Your answers will help determine the best choice for you, which may not be the same as for someone else. One factor there is keyboard vs. Graffiti--both the Treo 300 and Tungsten W have thumb keyboards, while the 7135 uses Graffiti and will have a keyboard attachment, but that's only likely to be viable when you're stationary.
    Last edited by Q; 12/09/2002 at 01:55 PM.
    I plan to use this device as primarily a PDA, email, and web browser. If I get the Kyocera, I might use as phone as well since my company requires us to have Verizon cell phones.

Download speed is important - so I'm wondering if AT&T is going to be faster or slower than the much-touted Sprint Vision network.

Having a back-up phone (whether Sprint or AT&T) also has some benefits, especially with wife and 2 kids and hectic work schedule, but I basically want an enhanced PDA (I currently use the Palm V now) with ability to browse for headlines, sports scores, yahoo, etc. quickly. Email is also important although my company only supports Blackberry currently as is unsure about Palm or Treo.

mark
    I'm not a T-mobile customer. It seems like if you go through the handspring website, you get redirected to T-mobile, and you need a login to get the update. Is there any other way/URL to get it?
    I'd also like to take advantage of the other fixes (but not the GPRS, too much $$).

Jordan
    The 1.1.1 upgrade is on the Handspring Australia site www.handspringaustralia.com
    It was released when the t-mobile gprs update became available.
    This release supports all 3 carriers in Australia.
    This was posted straight from my Treo 270 via GPRS. Currently I'm on a beach 5 hours north of Sydney. So it works!