Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    It's not the strongest bit of news but I think this flew under the radar:

HP webOS still heading to printer range says insider - SlashGear
    i still do not get the need for this, what will having webos on a printer really do for me?
  3.    #3  
    I think it's less for you and more for HP. It would save them money and time by having one unified platform to put on all their printers that can be upgraded and modified easily to accommodate different devices and features.

For customers it would mean they would have cool printer apps but more importantly when they call customer support they would get their problem resolved a lot quicker.
    Would have been cool to use TTS to print documents or receive new scans from the printer.
    SunnyPhono likes this.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I think it's less for you and more for HP. It would save them money and time by having one unified platform to put on all their printers that can be upgraded and modified easily to accommodate different devices and features.

For customers it would mean they would have cool printer apps but more importantly when they call customer support they would get their problem resolved a lot quicker.
    Cool printer apps? It's like talking about 'sexy accounting apps' ;-)

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Hp will keep webos going on printers- The Inquirer

they need to really keep tablets if they keep webos
    I have a 3-in-1 printer that I got with my PC three years ago, that rarely gets used. It's current 3-in-1 function consists of dust magnet, ink cartridge dryer, and a place-holder for I-don't-know-what on my shelf system beside my desks.

Love webOS on my tablet and phone.....printers? Really? Am I missing something? It's a printer....I think I'd rather have it on the proverbial toaster....I know I'd get more use out of it. Multitasking multigrain bagels and bread with butter synergy. I could dig that!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Hi all,

Small consolation prize fro all of us....btw I use my printers a great deal....

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It's a good operating system to run the DesignJet printers, to be honest.

Those printers have always lacked an intuitive menu system, and already require a small operating system, so why not WebOS?
    real question is, can we run Angry bird on HP printer?
    retroblu and laoh like this.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    @passlogix: yes, but graphics speed would be poor, about 0.1 FPS (or PPS, pages per second).
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I agree with the Sledge. It's a printer! WebOS is key to mobility and mobile devices. If you could drive your printer from your TP or Pre using WebOS, that would be a great trick!
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    yeah.. usually when i am working with a printer.. i'm (shockingly) printing. why would i want to stare at a tiny printer display for more than 2 seconds
    Printers are a dying industry, hopefully.

This is the first time I'm really starting to think this IS it for webOS. I was hoping for an HTC/Samsung/anyonepleasehelp deal, but it's clear at this point that it's not going to happen. What a damn shame.
    It's probably too big to fit in my pocket, but, do you think that the reception will be decent enough on the slopes to take a call?
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by residentcomedian View Post
    Putting webOS on a printer (or even a toaster, Sledge ), instead of smartphones, etc. is like putting GPS on a lamp.

Talk about just plain stupid.
    gps on a lamp(camping lamp) would be some what functional
    Hi all,

$1.2 Billion , plus all of the losses on designing at least 3 models of the TouchPad, Pre2, Pre3 & veer, to end up using it on SOME printers is a total waste of time, money and tech....I still say to the entire BOS "Off with your heads" .....or at least YOUR FIRED!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by residentcomedian View Post
    Putting webOS on a printer (or even a toaster, Sledge ), instead of smartphones, etc. is like putting GPS on a lamp.
    at least it would never be dark when i got lost? LOL
    Yawn. Of course they'll be using it on printers.

I just don't see why we should care either way.

If I have a smartphone and/or tablet and then go to a high end printer with a touchscreen and it has a familiar interface - fine - that's nice.

But if there are no smartphones/tablets with webos - then it's just yet another printer touchscreen UI. Shrug. A printer won't need multi-tasking, flash or Synergy. No cards. It might be nice for the HP printer devs - easy to program for and all. But nobody else will care.

And my printer is the exact same model as the one sledge007 has. Printers are so 20th century.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    SunnyPhono likes this.
    what a pitiful bunch of b***ocks, I cannot believe that an Os as brilliant as webos/almost is being shrink wrapped and thrown away in this fashion. HP have bought the company to take apart and get as much money from its parts rather than utilise what they have and optimise its intent. Jobs had the right idea by focusing on the bigger picture and getting the product to market and supporting it. HP are dead in the water as it looks to me with the tit of Microsoft's milk drying and there inability to drive their own direction .
    c000 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast