View Poll Results: Was Apple getting ready to sue HP for TP patent violations???

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 5.13%
  • No

28 71.79%
  • Even if they were the decision HP made was not influenced by pending litigation

9 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    The TP and the IPAD 1 are eerily similar in form factor not software factor. Do you think HP was in the process of getting sued by Apple which provoked the firesale? I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that HP dropped the TP after only 7 weeks. Just doesn't make sense. The HP TP is a wonderful product with a ton of potential. Once again, this is coming from an Apple Zealot.
    I think it was a mistake when they announced it. I believe they wanted to wait a little longer but someone spilled the beans.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Not sure if the process had started, but going by apples business model they would have been in apple's sights !
    <<thread moved>>
    Not even a remote possiblity... the Palm patent portfolio that PALM had and Palmsource licensed to Palm (and HP inherited, upon acquisition) were very significant and core to the smartphone arena... it would have resulted in a patent war with HP, who has more to gain and less to lose, with lots of cash on hand, and, given the iPhone's success, a huge potential financial loss retroactively, and going forward.. certainly not a route to pursue.

Apple cares more about what set their products aside from the others.. the look and technical feel of it.. this is what Samsung has violated, they claim, and it appears that the EU courts are beginning to agree with Apple on that.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

it's a design issue not a patent issue. And I don't think Apple will have any chance winning that
    Hi all,

Let me go out on a limb here...

You all do know that there were tablet computers BEFORE the ipad....copyrigting the form factor is a crock.....

that's like holding a copy write to the form factor of a laptop!!!!!!!!!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Let me go out on a limb here...

You all do know that there were tablet computers BEFORE the ipad....copyrigting the form factor is a crock.....

that's like holding a copy write to the form factor of a laptop!!!!!!!!!

take care,

Jay
    I agree with you, but when you are so close in design that one could be confused as to which product was which then yes there is a legal issue. Samsung is a perfect example; form factor is one of the legal points of contention with the Apple vs Samsung lawsuit. Remember the HP TP was designed when the iPad 1 was the only Apple tablet on the market. The location of the home button, the border, the total package is very close to the iPad 1. Not saying there is any grounds to sue or be sued I was just curious.

I still for the life of me can't understand what Leo et al were thinking. In the history of tech has this every happened in such a short period of time, 57 days to be exact from launch to end of life.
    I receive daily notifications of all patent litigation suits filed. Apple has not sued Palm or HP.

LCGuy has it spot on.

Some general IP thoughts: Copyright isn't really the issue. (Technically one can copyright certain designs, but it's generally not the process followed and it's dicey to say the least.) The issue with the form factor could be a design patent (which is quite different from a regular (utility) patent). For instance, I believe VW has a design patent on the shape of the "New Beetle" (not the new new Beetle). So, in theory, Apple (or others) *could* have a design patent on the form of a tablet. Also, in theory, if there were something novel about a keyboardless, etc. mobile computing tablet, there could be a utility patent to it. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Palm had one.
    Oh yeah. And then there's trade dress issues which is an offshoot of trademark law but more similar to design patents in effect. (Actually, kind of a hybrid of trademark, design patent, and copyright. It's odd.) Point being that things like colors, placement of functional components (such as ringer/silent switch, ear piece, and mic) and other non-functional elements can establish trade dress protection if consistently used among products and considered to be emblematic of a particular company.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Oh yeah. And then there's trade dress issues which is an offshoot of trademark law but more similar to design patents in effect. (Actually, kind of a hybrid of trademark, design patent, and copyright. It's odd.) Point being that things like colors, placement of functional components (such as ringer/silent switch, ear piece, and mic) and other non-functional elements can establish trade dress protection if consistently used among products and considered to be emblematic of a particular company.
    So based on the above comments, the home button, the volume toggle, the ear phone port could fall in line with consistent placement of functional components. Wonder if HP might have had something over Apple. Who really knows. Maybe the choice to end the hardware of the TP was just impulsive and simple as that.
    Yep all those things could fall in line with non-functional placement of functional items.

As an aside, I think one of the patents that Apple sued Samsung over was a design patent.

But, yeah, either way, the choice to end the TP and webOS hardware was typical HP bunk decision making. Plain and simple.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    Not sure if the process had started, but going by apples business model they would have been in apple's sights !
    Nah they are going after their only real competitor and that's Android, specifically Samsung.
    chalx and StuckwVerizon like this.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    With news about Apple and Facebook surfacing, I fell like Apple was not only after the single app but the whole WebOS. If you look at precentral since the news of touchpad launch began, there is a whole lot of people who criticized it (without even trying it) and another lot who kept repeating that iPad was better. Could it be that they were all Apple sponsored? What if they are? Can HP go against Apple if it was? I remember a similar incident with Virgin Atlantic and British Airways where BA lost.
    no, HP killed it with incompetence. Apple never knew HP was in the tablet Business.
    The only one to blame is HP with its stupidity.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    no, HP killed it with incompetence. Apple never knew HP was in the tablet Business.
    but they did after TP announcement. And that is when precentral forum began becoming so negative. But yes, HP is to be blamed the most.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTreo View Post
    I agree with you, but when you are so close in design that one could be confused as to which product was which then yes there is a legal issue. Samsung is a perfect example; form factor is one of the legal points of contention with the Apple vs Samsung lawsuit. Remember the HP TP was designed when the iPad 1 was the only Apple tablet on the market. The location of the home button, the border, the total package is very close to the iPad 1. Not saying there is any grounds to sue or be sued I was just curious.

I still for the life of me can't understand what Leo et al were thinking. In the history of tech has this every happened in such a short period of time, 57 days to be exact from launch to end of life.
    Samsung and Apple is issue is different. Its just not the size or center button, its the User Interface, including the home page, icons and such. There is no comparison between touchpad and ipad except for the screen size. Its waste of time to even think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTreo View Post
    I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that HP dropped the TP after only 7 weeks. Just doesn't make sense.
    I often wonder if I'm the crazy one. To me, the Touchpad is a great product that deserves recognition. So why is it in the bin with the failed devices? I know I'm not crazy...

At this point, I'm at a loss. I absolutely don't know what's going on. Is HP even a real company?
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 10/05/2011 at 03:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    +1
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast