Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By c000
  1.    #1  
    (Reuters) - Hewlett-Packard completed its $12 billion buy of British software firm Autonomy on Monday, the centerpiece of a botched strategy shift that cost ex-chief executive Leo Apotheker his job last month.

Whitman is quoted in the company’s press release as saying, “Autonomy significantly increases our capabilities to manage and extract meaning from that data to drive insight, foresight and better decision making.”

HP needs better decision making!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I was kind of hoping it would fall through, mostly because it would have been a hilarious egg-on-face moment for HP's useless board.

But actually, successfully buying Autonomy for that ridiculous sum is probably just as bad for HP.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    huge.waste.of.money

(but why am I not surprised)
    sledge007 likes this.
    I was kind of hoping it would fall through, mostly because it would have been a hilarious egg-on-face moment for HP's useless board.

But actually, successfully buying Autonomy for that ridiculous sum is probably just as bad for HP.
    I think the fact that it didn't fall through IS the egg-on-face moment...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just $3 billion could have been used (correctly) to make the webOS line of products that would have captured a sizable portion of the market. After that, the profits from the App Catalog start rolling in and turns into a cash cow. Way to screw the pooch, HP.
    I gotta tell you guys, the REAL ROFLMAO (?) moment is the fact that they spent $10.4 BILLION for a "Controlling Interest"... not even an outright purchase, and Autonomy will remain, well,.. autonomous. !!! That's probably 2.5 X market value!

Then again, the fact that they're trying to keep the management team in place MIOGHT mean that this HP acquistion does not see its Aye Ess Ess withn 18 months...

Go for it, Autonomy!

russ
    I've never heard what this company actually does, has anyone else?
    They're a siginificant player in the ECM (Enterprise Content Management) and Content Analytics market. Along with EMC/Documentum, IBM, OpenText...

Starngely enough, this SHOULD make me want to work with HP...

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    I've never heard what this company actually does, has anyone else?
    no, but from reading their website, what they do ...well best way to describe it would be to take different data points, information (unstructured data as they're calling it) from all over and making sense of it, risk management, forecasting that kinda stuff

i had made a comment somewhere else about why it was a bad idea to buy the company, if they had used them to do forecasting and risk management for investors and the company as a whole with them spinning off PSG and dumping webOS hardware w/ out having a manufacturing partner or licensing deal, cause apparently that didnt turn out well for their stocks or HP as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    no, but from reading their website, what they do ...well best way to describe it would be to take different data points, information (unstructured data as they're calling it) from all over and making sense of it, risk management, forecasting that kinda stuff
    "Unstuctured Data" = data that is not resident in Database-type constructs. For example, the <first name>, <last name>, <address 1>, <address 2>, <Ph_Number1> information that would make up the data of a phonebook would be structured data. The PDF file or scanned images of phonebook would be unstructured - normally sitting on a network share somewhere, or in someone's email account. Autonomy have some pretty cool technology that takes scanned (OCR'ed) images, figures out what they are, classifies them accordingly, sets retention information...

Things like eDiscovery processes are heavily dependent on these technologies.

russ