Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    With HP's handling of the Slate 500, and then with the TouchPad/webOS debacle, HP probably should get out of the consumer device business. Here's a little test that may shed some light on my reasoning (no google-ing allowed).

1. What is an iPaq and who marketed it?
    2. How many specific Apple devices can you name?
    3. How many specific HP devices can you name?

Unless you're an HP geek like me, you probably couldn't answer #1 and have more answers for #2 than #3. Interesting isn't it?

When Mr. Hewlett and Mr. Packard started, they focused on providing solutions to business problems. They designed and built machines that would control other machines and devices mostly for laboratory environments. They were focused and knew their customers, mostly Engineers and Scientists like themselves. When you worked on an HP machine back then, you thought of it as "the company's computer".

When Mr. Jobs and Mr. Wozniak started, they focused on providing solutions to the non-engineering and non-scientific community. They designed and built machines that "you" controlled and used to help you perform word-processing, financial calculations and once in a while, some database stuff. They too were focused and knew their customers, mostly tinkerers and idealists like themselves. When you worked on an Apple machine back then, you thought of it as "your computer" even if it was at work.

So I wonder which way Meg will take us? Will she be able to focus and know her customer? Will she be able to create an iconoclastic product line like Mr. Jobs? The shareholders are surely ready for an answer to these questions.

Who I really feel sorry for though, is the HP employees. I was down at the HP campus recently and they are all walking around like their Quarterback just got knocked out of the game and there is still 3 and 1/2 quarters left to play. You know what they're thinking: "Do I quit, or see if the third-string QB can do anything to keep us from getting killed?".

So Meg ..... Take advantage of the buzz right now! Like they say, "Bad press is better than no press". That Best Buy situation brought more brand recognition than all the TouchPad advertising combined ever did. And in a lot of ways, webOS is a lot like eBay was. In my opinion, at eBay you didn't really drive the product as much as consumer demand did. However, as demand grew, you reacted quickly and took advantage of it. You provided them a solution to their consumer problem, "how to do garage sale in a global economy". The demand for webOS is here now. React correctly and quickly and take advantage of it.

My advice to you Meg is this, DON'T SELL OUT!
    And then,

1. Spin the webOS software and device business off. Play off one of the best pieces of webOS and name it "Synergy".

2. Hire a lean aggressive leadership team that knows the market landscape and what "best in class" means.

3. Allow licensing and flavorizing of webOS to all other device manufactures.

4. And God forbid, build a supply chain that can support you and react as fast as you need.

5. Make me a device that enables me to securely log into everything at work. Make me device that allows me to communicate "any" way I want, email, Facebook, Google+, VOIP or SMS. Make me a device that can play all the games and movies I can ever want.

6. (The most important) Make me a device I will call "Mine". Because even if you're tempted to follow Leo's Enterprise vision, it better include the new frontier. The BYO (bring your own) device landscape which is the next big thing. If you want to leverage the "Cloud" and "Enterprise", bring Synergy to the consumer world. It's a better idea than "feeding mayonnaise to tuna" (line from the movie Night Shift).
    Last edited by twack; 10/02/2011 at 04:59 PM.
    night shift ftw!
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    "Oh, that Barney Rubble. What an actor"
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    How come the pictures are only posting links?
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Nice Billy Blaze reference!
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Meg Whitman is sure quiet lately. Do you think she's feeling the stress?