Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Okay, here is an off-the-wall question for you all to ponder. Over the past few months, I have tried running various apps on my Treo which, according to the respective developers, where created for OS 4.0 and greater. Many of these apps function just fine on the Treo (the last version of Facer being one). Given that there is little functional difference between 3.5 and 4.0, this seems to be a logical result.

However, I have also occassionaly been prevented from installing a few "4.0 and up." Certain apps apparently do some type of OS check before running. In these situations, I get a dialog box indicating that I do not have the proper OS running and the app will refuse to load. My questions is this: Is there anyway to trick these apps into thinking that we have OS 4.0 or higher? Once of the main ones that I would like to get working is the 4.0 web clipper, which (from what I understand) provides support for color PQAs.

Any help, info, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. n

David
    There are functional differences between OS 3.5 and 4.x, including new features that allow program integration (a good example being how SnapperMail can put "Send" options into the menus of some of the built-in apps), and enhanced functionality (like the Event Manager in OS4). But there are also changes that the user doesn't see. I'm not a programmer so I can't give specific examples.
    When you install apps that claim to require OS4, and they work, it just means that 1) the author didn't put the check in and restrict other users from running the app and 2) the OS4 enhancements are strictly required, but probably make that application more integrated into the system or feature enhanced, and that the lack of those features doesn't completely break the application. In the case of applications that don't even let you run them, like the OS4 web clipping, that restriction is probably there for a very good reason. A developer is not going to actively restrict the application without a really good reason, since doing so eliminates a VERY large portion of the user community.
    No, there's no way that I know of to trick an app into thinking it's on an OS4 machine. And in the case of the web clipping, I think it would be a REALLY bad idea to even try. You'd have better luck getting Handspring to license web clipping from Palm and tweaking it for color Treos. They'd sooner tell you to use Blazer. ;-)

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/