Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
  1. cb7
    Here is an interesting article that I just ran across regarding a possible acquisition of Palm, by Amazon. Not sure how this will pan out, considering that Amazon seems to be fully invested in Android.
    -----
    Amazon has Palm in its shopping cart will it click Buy? (exclusive)

venturebeat. com /2011/09/29/amazon-buy-palm
    (Can't post URL's yet, so delete the whitespace around 'com' above)

"Who will save whats left of Palm from HPs bumbling? It could be Amazon, as the online retailing giant is in serious negotiations to snap up Palm from HP, VentureBeat has learned.

A well-placed source tells us that HP is currently looking to rid itself of Palm as soon as possible, and that Amazon is the closest to finalizing the deal, among a handful of contenders."
    I just ran across this article & was going to post it here.

Amazon seems like a good choice. Honestly, anything other than HP is good for webOS at this point. However, if they do buy webOS, I'm pretty sure they will customize the heck out of it the way they did Android on the Kindle Fire. webOS the way we know it now would cease to exist.

It'll be interesting to see if this pans out to be true.
    Amazon has Palm in its shopping cart will it click Buy? (exclusive) | VentureBeat

Venturebeat are citing a source "A well-placed source", which makes this article already dubious.

My thoughts are thus: It makes no sense for Amazon to purchase webOS now, unless they are after the numerous patents that Palm has. Rightly or wrongly, they've already committed to Android with the Kindle Fire, and the Amazon AppStore to simply switch over and change OS' now.

Furthermore, and integration into Amazon would probably be a worrying time for us, as how much support would Amazon want to give for an OS they aren't already invested in?

I guess only time will tell.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    1) Build Android based app store
    2) Build cloud apps based around android
    3) Fork android and build tablet
    4) Spend time and money developing a new GUI to go over the top of your forked branch
    5) Have a massive release of new tablet, order around eight million
    6) Buy webOS - huh?

Makes absolutely no sense at this stage beyond patents - WebOS does nothing for Amazon. They have an android app store, cloud apps built around android, a forked branch of android they will have spent time and money on.

More importantly, they have developed their own GUI for it based around their store. The biggest advantage of WebOS, the GUI is irrelevant to Amazon. If they were interested in what it could do, they could have ripped it off when designing their GUI.
    Last edited by CGK; 09/30/2011 at 02:58 AM.
  5. cb7
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Makes absolutely no sense at this stage beyond patents - WebOS does nothing for Amazon. They have an android app store, cloud apps built around android, a forked branch of android they will have spent time and money on.

More importantly, they have developed their own GUI for it based around their store. The biggest advantage of WebOS, the GUI is irrelevant to Amazon. If they were interested in what it could do, they could have ripped it off when designing their GUI.
    I realize it's a long shot but, I wonder IF they were to make the purchase, if they would utilize that software that allows android apps to run on other OS'.
    They probably meant Amazon has Palm in its Wish List.....easy mistake, I forgive them.

At least that's more believable.

Sorry, as much as I love my TouchPad, I believe none of these rumors....just a recipe for a big letdown I am making the most of it though
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cb7 View Post
    I realize it's a long shot but, I wonder IF they were to make the purchase, if they would utilize that software that allows android apps to run on other OS'.
    That still doesn't get around the fundamental problem - Amazon designed from the ground up, the GUI on the fire to best support their services and their ability to sell you stuff. It's a device designed to sell their stuff to you and allow you to play or read that content in the most straight forward manner.

What does WebOS which is a general purpose operating offer Amazon over their own GUI that is designed specifically for them by them in an attempt to maximise revenues?

That's the problem with this idea - synergy, just type, notifications, cards - none of those things are important to Amazon because they aren't trying to sell that type of device. So where's the value (beyond patents)?
    Isandunk and slbailey1 like this.
    Not buying it.
    This rumor must be false.

It makes no sense for Amazon to buy webos at this point. webos is useful for a company that wants to be another Apple. Sell high-margin gadgets by owning their own platform.

Samsung, HTC, possibly Dell. These would all make sense. Amazon already got what they need and I don't see them competing in the smartphone market.

They are not even trying to make money from their Kindle tablets. The Kindles are loss leaders. Primarily for media consumption and shopfronts.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    <threads merged>
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    They'll chuck webOS on the whole as an OS itself, and use the card metaphor as a multitasking Android launcher since Palm applied for the 'card metaphor' patent back in 2009. The old Palm patents pre-webOS aren't even owned by HP/Palm anymore, so it'll almost certainly involve the ability to integrate key differentiating features of webOS directly into the Android flow. Maybe some Enyo love, but I wouldn't expect it; I'd see them open-sourcing it as a benevolent contribution to the larger development community.

If that 'card metaphor' patent's granted, btw, it puts BB's QNX in a hugely desperate position--which is why Amazon would likely just buy the company behind it outright.

Don't think for a nanosecond that Amazon would ever supersede Android with webOS given the huge investment stake it's just made in the space. It's not going to happen.
    I'm not sure about that - Look at the design of the GUI on the fire - it's purposely designed *not* for multi-tasking but to lead you to do a single task as a time and it's clearly not intended to be replaceable like google android is - I'm guessing that is deliberate because of the cost-cutting around memory and processor and the type of customers they wish to attract. It doesn't matter if this is slightly slower than the competition if you are only reading a book, or watching a film or listening to some music.
    TBH if HP couldn't fit webOS into TP in terms of hardware in a reasonable price, what makes you think that Amazon can? Amazon is just a retailer that manufactures low cost hardware products. There is no way that they will be able to optimize or put webOS in a better hardware than TP and sell it at the same price as Fire.
    I bet this story has legs. Someone is going to buy webos. It is way too good not to do so. Amazon gets a better os than android for its tablet and smartphone plans. Makes sense to me. Others are negotiating too, again no surprise.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Do they have about douh to buy?
    Also it doesn't make sense since they have started tablets on android already.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    similar post in Engadget (spanish version)
    Rumor: Amazon podría estar considerando comprar Palm
    []
    <thread merged>
    It's a total rumour, but if it's true, do you think Amazon would help out the Pre 3. Maybe sell it on Amazon.com? After all, why should ebay be the only place to get a Pre 3?
    Would be the death of webOS as this would be a pure patent-grab.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Well, at least the article does say there are a "handful" of contenders. That has to mean something, right?

RIGHT?!?
    fmarcanojr likes this.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast