Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
    All the other "company xyz is buying webOS" stories were made up out of thin air, what makes you think this one isn't? Amazon has no need for webOS -- they are not in the business of making poor decisions that cost a lot of money. They're backing Android, and that's pretty much that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    All the other "company xyz is buying webOS" stories were made up out of thin air.
    The number of companies bidding on sale of Palm were disclosed in SEC documents.
    Obviously Amazon has considered buying webOS, they would sure be stupid not to have. In the current environment of Patent wars and infringement litigation I am sure that there are lots of companies at least considering it. Now whether or not any of this actually results in a webOS device in the future is questionable, but, somebody WILL buy webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    The number of companies bidding on sale of Palm were disclosed in SEC documents.
    I'm talking about since HP decided to no longer make webOS devices. There's been a new rumor every week about a company wanting to buy webOS, and guess how many have turned out to be true ...
    I'm talking about since HP decided to no longer make webOS devices. There's been a new rumor every week about a company wanting to buy webOS, and guess how many have turned out to be true ...
    Just because they haven't turned into a purchase, doesn't mean that they werent interested, or are not still are interested.

Here's a FACT for you to consider:

We will be the last to know (as in, it's what we do NOT know that is of the most importance".

Rumors and leaks all come from somewhere, and not all of them are unfounded - the problem is, we just don't know which ones are and aren't reliable, so we have to take them all into consideration.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

ilovedessert likes this.
    well this amazon rumor has come and stayed for a while, but no news since...

perhaps this rumor is dead...

sigh...someone, save webos?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    well this amazon rumor has come and stayed for a while, but no news since...

perhaps this rumor is dead...

sigh...someone, save webos?
    There is no news because it was always just a rumor. I'm sure several companies are somewhat interested in webos. Just as I'm sure that Amazon is not one of them.

webos + HTC makes sense. HTC is a manufacturer in the mobile business. They are well established and there are solid reasons for wanting an alternative to Android.

webos + Dell make sense. Dell is a big manufacturer who has been trying to get more presence in the mobile area.

webos + Lenovo - maybe.

webos + Amazon DOES NOT MAKE SENSE! Amazon is not a manufacturer. They are a virtual Mall/Department Store. Their interest in offering their own hardware is restricted to tablets as content delivery devices and shopfronts. They don't make money from the Kindles by themselves and they won't be getting into the smartphone business. They even forked and dumbed down Android - which is freely available to them. They have their own non-Google Kindle market. And they just released a range of devices. They don't need webos.
    And it wouldn't be good for webos either for the above reasons.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Looking at what Amazon has done over the last few days, it's is pretty clear that they want developers to make tailored apps specifically for the fire and their fork. They aren't going to all this trouble to replace it all with WebOS in six months.

So... who's next? McDonalds? NASA? Walmart?
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Nokia parallels.

Amazon have literally created Fire on Googles platform and are stealing revenue and control from them. I expect Google to react in someway to let this particular platform 'burn'. How they will do this, I don't know, but they might try and lock them out of future updates by changing the licensing structure. They may have a great device for now, but where will it be in 5 years time? You need to be one or two moves ahead in this game, and for the small cost of webOS, they might just think it's a worthwhile insurance policy.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Nokia parallels.

Amazon have literally created Fire on Googles platform and are stealing revenue and control from them. I expect Google to react in someway to let this particular platform 'burn'. How they will do this, I don't know, but they might try and lock them out of future updates by changing the licensing structure. They may have a great device for now, but where will it be in 5 years time? You need to be one or two moves ahead in this game, and for the small cost of webOS, they might just think it's a worthwhile insurance policy.
    This is the problem with this thinking - on current estimates, Amazon will quickly sell two million units and ram up from there. What practical difference does it makes if their own version of android is then locked out over picking WebOS?

None - that's why it's more parsimonious to continue with their fork rather than switch development tracks.

Moreover, they are already accelerating towards that future by specifying that developers remove features that make sense on the android patform but don't on the amazon fire platform (whatever they call it). The future is going to be (as long as the amazon platform gets into many millions of units) - people publishing on the main amazon platform and then making adjustments for the fire platform.
    hagster likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is the problem with this thinking - on current estimates, Amazon will quickly sell two million units and ram up from there. What practical difference does it makes if their own version of android is then locked out over picking WebOS?
    Time will tell, but it defiantly looks like there's going to be some sort of fight between them. Who knows if Google has any weapons in it's arsenal that can actually hurt Amazon, but i'd expect both sides to be tooling up for the battle.
    If Amazon has truly forked Android then they are stupid. A fork is an entirely different codebase which means that updates and future apps for the platform are no longer guaranteed to work, and as time goes by probably definitely won't.

Why not look into webOS? Companies get bought just for patents alone. Anyone who thinks that Amazon is not considering this option is just being silly.

Why isn't there any update on this in the past three days? More than likely because it takes a bit less time than a week to purchase a company. Due dilligence is required on behalf of both parties. I, for one, don't really care to read every day that Amazon is considering buying Palm, but until the audit is complete there is no further information on how to proceed.

Amazon purchasing Palm is as dumb as McDonald's looking into it? There are obviously many legitimate reasons for a company like Amazon to own webOS, not to mention the fact that it makes just as much (or even more) sense than Google having it's own mobile OS.

Anyone else have any dumb questions or statements regarding this? I will pull out my magic eight ball and give you the answer..."Reply hazy, try again"
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If Amazon has truly forked Android then they are stupid. A fork is an entirely different codebase which means that updates and future apps for the platform are no longer guaranteed to work, and as time goes by probably definitely won't.
    Which fits perfectly with the walled garden they want to set up.
    More evidence that Amazon just doesn't care what happens with the future of Android:

Amazon adds Kindle Fire-specific details to Developer Portal, A's your FAQ -- Engadget

Rejected apps, Amazon informs us, will include those that rely on a gyroscope, camera, WAN module, Bluetooth, microphone, GPS, or micro SD. Apps are also forbidden from using Google's Mobile Services (and in-app billing), which, if included, will have to be "gracefully" removed.
    I don't see how anyone could read this and say that Amazon would be concerned enough about not getting Ice Cream Sandwich or some later version to destroy their current strategy and switch to webOS. They're clearly trying to separate from Google as their own platform, and I don't think I'm jumping out on a limb here to say that it's going to be a huge success.

Maybe we're all wrong and Amazon will do something illogical (I mean, HP hasn't exactly been logical lately), but you have to at least see how slim the odds of it are, right? I'd love for webOS to live on (moreso for phones than anything else), but I mean after two and a half years of missteps and broken promises there comes a point where the writing's on the wall.
    Cool, then they might as well buy webOS. It is a better OS than Android, and since Amazon is not Android anymore, and going forward they are required to have developers create Amazon specific apps, and since they now effectively own their OS and have to maintain it themselves, it wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Not to mention that it pretty much alleviates any potential Android litigation, gives them a closed source OS (which is really what you want for a proprietary OS), AND gives them a significant addition to their patent portfolio.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Right - that was what I was talking about above, Amazon is already laying down the guidelines for people to develop apps specifically for their platform (Amzdroid?) - as long as they can deliver volume for developers. As I said before, the mistake is to think about this in terms of an android tablet rather than a Kindle table.

It is a better OS than Android,
    Which is really irrelevant to Amazon - they aren't interested in notifications, multi-tasking or any of that, which is why their GUI is based around five large buttons that allow you to buy stuff and the spec of their tablet is mediocre at best. It's an interface based around monochronistic rather than polychronistic behaviour.

Even if they did buy WebOS it would look nothing like what current exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Cool, then they might as well buy webOS. It is a better OS than Android, and since Amazon is not Android anymore, and going forward they are required to have developers create Amazon specific apps, and since they now effectively own their OS and have to maintain it themselves, it wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Not to mention that it pretty much alleviates any potential Android litigation, gives them a closed source OS (which is really what you need for a proprietary OS), AND gives them a significant addition to their patent portfolio.
    Except the Amazon App Store has over 10,000 apps at the moment, and the Android base that Google is working off of is much more mature than webOS is. So they're going to ditch their growing infrastructure and jump to an OS that needs a ton of work still (despite the things it does really well)? I don't see it happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Except the Amazon App Store has over 10,000 apps at the moment, and the Android base that Google is working off of is much more mature than webOS is. So they're going to ditch their growing infrastructure and jump to an OS that needs a ton of work still (despite the things it does really well)? I don't see it happening.
    Rejected apps, Amazon informs us, will include those that rely on a gyroscope, camera, WAN module, Bluetooth, microphone, GPS, or micro SD. Apps are also forbidden from using Google's Mobile Services (and in-app billing), which, if included, will have to be "gracefully" removed.
    They have just ditched half of the apps.
    If they really want their own proprietary OS, they want it to be closed source, end of story.
    Its not half the apps, not even close

What it boils down to is Android is free (and always will be) and does exactly what they want it to, webOS is not free and would require work to get it to do what they want it to. Amazon is not buying webOS.
    Its not half the apps, not even close

What it boils down to is Android is free (and always will be) and does exactly what they want it to, webOS is not free and would require work to get it to do what they want it to. Amazon is not buying webOS.
    It no longer matters how free Android will be ever again if Amazon forked it, who cares?

You are pretty short sited if you think that they are not considering it for the patent portfolio alone considering they themselves are no stranger to patent litigation, both as a plaintiff or defendant.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast