Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Whatever Amazon chooses to do with webOS (if they acquire it), will be better than what HP is doing with it.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    If amazon was to buy webos do you believe that they will still support older palm and HP devices?
    Apple iPhone 3G 8GB >>> iPhone 4 32GB >>> HP Veer 4G AT&T >>> HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T 4G

SELLING HP PRE 3 FOR AT&T...ONLY A FEW LEFT. PM ME IF INTERSTED!
    They sure won't support older phones, but they would be crazy to turn their back on 1 million customers.

You know what would be really funny? If the "source" was Precentral. They started the Qualcomm rumor (and quickly put it down).
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    They sure won't support older phones, but they would be crazy to turn their back on 1 million customers.

You know what would be really funny? If the "source" was Precentral. They started the Qualcomm rumor (and quickly put it down).
    Hi all,

It's not as if HP was supporting PalmOS much at all and as far as webOS goes....HP threw that under the bus...I would also like to say to all of you...either HP sells webOS or it's over....they are not going to keep dumping money into an OS they themselves killed....

BTW it's no longer an issue of licensing webOS they have to sell it....as soon as Leo came in to HP, he lied and lied and lied that they were going to write apps themselves, have apps ported with HP supplying the $ and manpower....

Even if someone else licenses the OS from HP do you really think they are going to do all the things HP was TOO CHEAP AND TOO STUPID TO DO THEMSELVES for an OS that they don't even own?????????????

I still don't get it....HP makes the lion share of it's money from ink and accessories for the printers....

Mark Hurd tried to show them an another revenue stream that would give them all the money that HP would be making just like Apple on the pipleline full of music, videos, movies, games and apps...too bad Leo and the baord were too stupid to see that....

Yet we are talking about a board that was too stupid to NOT INTERVIEW Leo for the CEO of the world's largest computer company! Plus gave him a contract that made him rich beyond rich even if he was non productive, even if he road the company into the ground....

So it's come down to either HP sells webOS to someone or IT'S TOTALLY OVER!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    ...either HP sells webOS or it's over.!
    I can see that. Not sure if it is a question of competence or commitment, but HP lost it's credibility as a serious OS developer even though they say they just wanted to dump hardware and keep the software part. HP seems way to unstable and untrustworthy to license from.

My worry though, is that the board will get too greedy and keep the price high to attempt a financial recoup. HP, this is no time to be too greedy!
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    My worry though, is that the board will get too greedy and keep the price high to attempt a financial recoup. HP, this is no time to be too greedy!
    Hi,

I doubt that...I think they'll unload it at a cheap price to have it over with long before the stockholders try to crucify yet another CEO and the entire board for throwing out what at this point must be well above ONE AND ONE HALF BILLION DOLLARS!

The next stockholder's meeting is next March 2012...Meg wants to put as much distance as she can between herself and webOS...also at this point I doubt anyone else is interested in buying by no fault of webOS is a twice failed OS....the very slight chance of HTC which brought up the possibility themselves...so at this point it's Amazon or HTC or otherwise it's all over...

Even Meg isn't that stupid...even though she claims to be hell bent for leather to dismantle the company instead of making their low margin PC unit it to a very high margin pipeline just like Apple did...

Good luck Meg and the board with that one.....

Take care,

Jay
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 10/03/2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It is too late for that - the very nature of open source means that they cannot make those changes retrospectively.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Correct. Google doesn't have any control with the OS because it's open source. The only one they did that with was Honeycomb. ICS will be open source, just like the rest. Google can't tell Amazon what to do with the OS anymore than they can with Chinese tablet makers, HTC with their Sense, and Samsung with their Touchwiz. If anything, I'd think Google would be more mad at Samsung for making their UI too much like IOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    BTW it's no longer an issue of licensing webOS they have to sell it....as soon as Leo came in to HP, he lied and lied and lied that they were going to write apps themselves, have apps ported with HP supplying the $ and manpower....

Even if someone else licenses the OS from HP do you really think they are going to do all the things HP was TOO CHEAP AND TOO STUPID TO DO THEMSELVES for an OS that they don't even own?????????????
    I don't think Leo lied, I believe they - HP board, simply didn't understand what maintaining OS is in reality, and perhaps HP believed webOS was more mature than it was.
    That is reason why I don't see any new suitors for webOS. Why to struggle with optimizations of OS core, while you can just play with UI layers, and collect money
    Another article on why Amazon should buy webOS from HP:

Why Amazon buying webOS from HP is a no-brainer: Why Amazon buying webOS from HP is a no-brainer | ExtremeTech
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    So let's see ... Amazon sells several million Fire tablets this year. Next year rolls around (or the next), and those original buyers want the latest and greatest. They've purchased a good number of apps from the Amazon app store, and when they receive their new Fire tablet ... none of the apps they purchased work. Sounds like a recipe for success.

Oh yeah, Amazon will create the magical Android emulator that runs 100% of Android apps. Right. Fact is, Amazon has been planning this for a while, and unlike HP, they are not a company that will change directions on a whim. They spent time, money, and resources on modifying Android to fit their exact specifications, and no matter how much wishful thinking comes from the webOS faithful, they are not going to dump it all for webOS.

Now, buying webOS for whatever patents come with it, or using it to pick certain innovations from it, I can see. A Fire running webOS? Nah.
    cgk likes this.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Oh yeah, Amazon will create the magical Android emulator that runs 100% of Android apps. Right. Fact is, Amazon has been planning this for a while, and unlike HP, they are not a company that will change directions on a whim. They spent time, money, and resources on modifying Android to fit their exact specifications, and no matter how much wishful thinking comes from the webOS faithful, they are not going to dump it all for webOS.
    Watch their change at Amazon when the Fire is rooted within days and all their hard work of keeping the Fire as a closed garden goes out the window. It'll be just like the B&N Nook Color, which doesn't make B&N money if it's rooted and you can buy from anywhere. They'll look at WebOS as an option that'll be very easy to make difficult for any other OS to put on(just look how long it's taking them now with the TP). WebOS secures the tablets as having the customer only buying from them. Android secures them selling a ton to people that are just going to root and throw another OS on it anyways.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post

Oh yeah, Amazon will create the magical Android emulator that runs 100% of Android apps.
    they would not have to create anything. it already exists, or will shortly OpenMobile demos ACL for MeeGo, promises 100 percent compatibility with Android apps (video) - Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Watch their change at Amazon when the Fire is rooted within days and all their hard work of keeping the Fire as a closed garden goes out the window.
    If they sell 8 million tablets, and 100,000 are rooted (and make no mistake, a VAST majority of Fire buyers won't even know what rooting is), I don't think they really care. Fact is, people will still use their rooted tablets for the Kindle App, for the Amazon streaming video app (when it's made available to all), for the Amazon cloud player, to shop the website, and for Amazon app store apps. Amazon put a pretty proprietary face on their Fire, but they know that it won't only be the Fire consuming their services. They've thrown their lot in with Android and its userbase, they don't give a flip how people use their services as long as they use them.

The idea that they'd toss away this blueprint they've been working on for a long time to stick webOS, which has failed to gain any traction whatsoever, on the next Fire is a pipe dream.
    jhoff80 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I agree with you...But try this on for size....if HP sells webOS to Amazon...Amazon is free to develop smartphones that will use the same pipeline of Amazon ebooks, Amazon music, Amazon downloaded movies and videos....

People won't have to buy movies or ebooks for their smartphones and a different format for their other devices!

Amazon is bigger than Apple therefore it has huge buying potential that will encourage apps to be written and/or ported....After all Amazon now sells more ebooks than paper books, they've sold millions of Kindles and with the new prices the cheapest unit is now $79!

Newspapers and magazines are very unhappy with the financial arrangement that Apple has crammed down their throats....Amazon has indicated it's willing to be more flexible than the 30% that Apple demands for Newspapers and magazines....add that to the musicians that have always been unhappy with the fact that they fork over 40% to Apple, (as far as I remember Apple gets a higher percentage from music than print media...I don't know the percentage rate for video, games & apps).

I fully expect to see Newspapers and magazines as well as musicians trying to play Amazon against Apple...which works out better for us!

Take care,

jay
    Ok, this right here.. I changed my mind about Amazon and fully agree, even though my opinion means jack. It gives some kind of hope. Hmmm a tablet and phone using all of Amazon's services. If this goes through and they do make a Pre4 or Amazon webOS Phone, Amazon webOS tab... well.. a dream for all webfans. When is Amazon going to be made available in The Netherlands for god sakes!
    So let's see ... Amazon sells several million Fire tablets this year. Next year rolls around (or the next), and those original buyers want the latest and greatest. They've purchased a good number of apps from the Amazon app store, and when they receive their new Fire tablet ... none of the apps they purchased work. Sounds like a recipe for success.

Now, buying webOS for whatever patents come with it, or using it to pick certain innovations from it, I can see. A Fire running webOS? Nah.
    I don't think the transition from android to webOS would be as tedious for amazon customers as you suggest. First of all, the Amazon marketplace does not equal the android market. So they would not have to aim for 100% compatibility with android apps. Right now, there are only a couple thousand Amazon apps. Amazon's challenge would be to convince these select few developers to update there apps for webOS. A guaranteed install base and free app promotion has worked for Amazon thus far, and would likely work if they released webOS devices... Especially as cross platform development suites gain momentum. I'm not sayin webOS on an amazon device isn't a longshot, but just not for the reason you suggest.

The time they spent modifying Android was to establish themselves in the modern tablet market. But their use of android in this manner isn't future proof. They don't have, and never will have Google's blessing, so their devices will not be able to utilize newer android features or apps. That isn't sustainable. I'm sure they are aware of this, which is why they are considering webOS.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    which is why they are considering webOS.
    Have we *ever* had any evidence that this is any more than a fantasy and a pipe dream? The low quality link bait providers are pushing the idea but nobody reputable is.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Have we *ever* had any evidence that this is any more than a fantasy and a pipe dream? The low quality link bait providers are pushing the idea but nobody reputable is.
    Exactly.

I bet that rumor has no base in reality. Somebody just wrote this based on nothing and then everybody else just copied that.
    It makes no sense for Amazon to seriously consider buying webos at this point. It's not a good fit for them.

And Amazon is not good for us either. Sure - they have the resources. But in the almost impossibly unlikely fantasy case that Amazon buys webos they would dumb it down and only use it on Tablets (no smartphones). They already did that to Android - and it works and is now getting deployed on millions of Kindle gadgets. Which brings us back to Amazon not really being interested in aquiring webos. It simply doesn't make sense.

After Samsung said no it's down to HTC and perhaps Dell as credible options. Lenovo might be a faint possibility.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I don't think the transition from android to webOS would be as tedious for amazon customers as you suggest. First of all, the Amazon marketplace does not equal the android market. So they would not have to aim for 100% compatibility with android apps. Right now, there are only a couple thousand Amazon apps.
    There are over 10,000 apps in the Amazon App Store, and it's growing daily, and will explode once the Fire is released.

The time they spent modifying Android was to establish themselves in the modern tablet market. But their use of android in this manner isn't future proof. They don't have, and never will have Google's blessing, so their devices will not be able to utilize newer android features or apps. That isn't sustainable. I'm sure they are aware of this, which is why they are considering webOS.
    They don't need Google's blessing -- Android is open-source, Amazon can do whatever they want with it. The only thing they'll be missing are the Google apps (Gmail, navigation, marketplace, etc), all of which can be sideloaded anyway. Otherwise, they will have access to the same base as everyone else. It is completely sustainable, which is why Amazon likely has not even talked to HP about webOS.
    You think that the reporter, a very reputable guy, just made up the story or his trusted source just made it up?
    Remember, last time that WebOS was shopped Apple, HTC, and even Google talked to Palm about purchasing it. There are people interested . . . and WebOS can run Android apps if they want it to do so also . . . HP just didn't so they could build their own app catalog . . . Amazon might not care. So you get the superior UI of WebOS, all of the built in apps (only 1% or less of the user base does any sideloading) and the Android app catalog for what that is worth. But remember, the Touchpad has more tablet specific apps than Android right now from the counts that I have seen.
    You think that the reporter, a very reputable guy, just made up the story or his trusted source just made it up?
    Remember, last time that WebOS was shopped Apple, HTC, and even Google talked to Palm about purchasing it. There are people interested . . . and WebOS can run Android apps if they want it to do so also . . . HP just didn't so they could build their own app catalog . . . Amazon might not care. So you get the superior UI of WebOS, all of the built in apps (only 1% or less of the user base does any sideloading) and the Android app catalog for what that is worth. But remember, the Touchpad has more tablet specific apps than Android right now from the counts that I have seen.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast