Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
    I love webOS and hope either Meg changes the direction at HP, or they sell the entire webOS group to someone, or someone license it....

I have a questions about the patents everyone keeps talking about. Are there webOS patents?

Because all the palmOS pattents do not belong to HP they belong to Access. Does everyone remember whehn Palm split into hardware and software companies. The hardware was PalmOne which went back to just Palm and was bought by HP. The software side was PalmSource who licensed the software to PalmOne. Then it changed or was bought by Access.

Does everyone remember the Treo screen saying powered by Access?

So if you buy the whole Palm from HP you may get rights to those patents held by Access but you would not own them.

Just my thoughts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    This makes a lot of sense. There's no need for Amazon to abandon android if they make WebOS cross compatible. They have the resources to do it.

Purchasing WebOS would solve a lot of those problems. The Synergy stack would replace Google’s “App Pack” which Kindle Fire is currently lacking and Amazon’s engineers could work towards making their UI tie in both the WebOS multitasking, native WebOS applications and Android Dalvik apps.

This would create an entirely new, best-of-breed tablet operating system that would give you the best of both worlds — excellent multitasking, native email and messaging/social media integration combined with robust Amazon services and content cloud, with the Amazon Appstore for Android.

And since Amazon has entered a patent licensing deal with Microsoft, Amazon can also integrate Synergy’s messaging services with the Activesync protocol (Exchange) on their Android/WebOS hybrid without any fear of litigation whatsoever.

It’s really not that hard to imagine. After all, RIM is putting Android compatibility into QNX, but their OS doesn’t even have the benefit of sharing the same basic systems architecture. Making Android apps run on WebOS would be a much less difficult project than it actually sounds.
    more: Why HP's WebOS could be foundation for next Kindle Fire | ZDNet
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    I'm at a loss here
    reports of samsung and HTC thinking of webos
    Now Amazon please how does this make sense? Have they all gone mad?
    Android has the app and developer support
    WEBOS is unfinished and needs lots of work, true the TP is pretty good but only after all the patches and updates

WEBOS is like Vista unpatched and un updated
    IF ahP WebOS is like Vista, then maybe Amazon WebOS will be like Windows 7.

And WebOS is nothing like Vista, btw, but using your own analogy ...
    Wizard Palm does own patents that apply to WebOS and its hardware. One reason Apple didn't sue Palm. Of course they didn't need to, but Palm could have countered sued. Precentral had an article talking about it.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard83 View Post
    So if you buy the whole Palm from HP you may get rights to those patents held by Access but you would not own them.

Just my thoughts
    It's not important to Amazon. They wouldn't be buying Palm for the purpose of licensing WebOS and they wouldn't care about others licensing WebOS from a 3rd party because they'd develop a proprietary version of WebOS. It would be like Amazon's use of linux to develop the Kindle OS.
    I'm at a loss here
    reports of samsung and HTC thinking of webos
    Now Amazon please how does this make sense? Have they all gone mad?
    Android has the app and developer support
    WEBOS is unfinished and needs lots of work, true the TP is pretty good but only after all the patches and updates

WEBOS is like Vista unpatched and un updated
    It's quite simple. The "free" Android OS is costing an average of $15 per unit. That money is going to Microsoft. Not to mention the cost of Google's services (Market, Mail, Maps, etc.) which are undisclosed. The "apps" only work on certain hardware. Plus no one wants to compete with the OS company when it is making it's on hardware.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    Amazon and Google are going to war. Google controls when new android versions are released to developers and which developers get them. Is Amazon going to be happy being at the end of the line to get their hands on Ice Cream Sandwich? Considering they're using Gingerbread on the Kindle Fire one has to wonder how much access they have to Honeycomb. Google can make it very difficult for Amazon to keep pace in the tablet market. The Kindle Fire was built using an outdated OS. Long-term, that can't be acceptable to Amazon.
    Amazon doesn't want Ice Cream Sandwich. They just want the base of Android. They don't really care about what version it is, or what changes Google makes in the UI, or anything like that. It might not be an official fork of Android, but it's clear that they see themselves splitting off in their own direction. Almost nothing that the user sees on the Kindle Fire has anything in common with Android. Having the existing app base (especially with their own branded store) is important to them, and having stable code underneath is important to them. Otherwise, nothing to do with 'the Google Experience' matters at all as far as Amazon is concerned, and I wouldn't expect them to update to ICS, or actually even care that they're using an 'older code base'.
    cgk likes this.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Having the existing app base (especially with their own branded store) is important to them, and having stable code underneath is important to them.
    I can't be bothered to search for it, but something key said in one of the post demonstration interviews was that apps would be recertified for the fire. I think your analysis is completely correct - they aren't trying to sell ice-cream sandwich tablets or jellybean tablets, they are selling kindle fires - a nuance that seems to pass a lot of people by. Look at the order page for this, the single mention of android is in the fact that you can get apps from the app store. The specification doesn't mention it.

All this "google could make it difficult for them" - completely misses the point, they aren't in the android race like everyone else - so the timescales work in a different way for them. Even then, Amazon has hit upon google's weakness, unless they want to stop their rapid growth by not releasing source, they can't stop amazon getting hold of the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I can't be bothered to search for it, but something key said in one of the post demonstration interviews was that apps would be recertified for the fire. I think your analysis is completely correct - they aren't trying to sell ice-cream sandwich tablets or jellybean tablets, they are selling kindle fires - a nuance that seems to pass a lot of people by. Look at the order page for this, the single mention of android is in the fact that you can get apps from the app store. The specification doesn't mention it.

All this "google could make it difficult for them" - completely misses the point, they aren't in the android race like everyone else - so the timescales work in a different way for them. Even then, Amazon has hit upon google's weakness, unless they want to stop their rapid growth by not releasing source, they can't stop amazon getting hold of the code.
    Unless they want to use Android 2.3 forever -- which I guess they could -- at some point they will have to upgrade. And with that, more and more, Google might lock the UI like they tried to fo with Honeycomb. If they do that then Amazon does care about the UI because they can no longer have their fancy UI skin.
    Google tightening control of Android, insisting licensees abide by 'non-fragmentation clauses'? -- Engadget

Here is proof. Why should Amazon hang its future on the whimb of Google?
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Unless they want to use Android 2.3 forever -- which I guess they could -- at some point they will have to upgrade. And with that, more and more, Google might lock the UI like they tried to fo with Honeycomb. If they do that then Amazon does care about the UI because they can no longer have their fancy UI skin.
    Yeah they can, because I don't think your basic assumption is right - that they plan to reliant on the google development path. Their CTO said as much on the day.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    OK, lets say Amazon purchase webOS. Whats there for us? Will they produce broad gamma of smartphones?
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    OK, lets say Amazon purchase webOS. Whats there for us? Will they produce broad gamma of smartphones?
    The question as always for amazon is "how does this help us sell books, dog food and toilet roll"? So how mobile phones fit into that I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Yeah they can, because I don't think your basic assumption is right - that they plan to reliant on the google development path. Their CTO said as much on the day.

That might be true. But Google, if they want more of a fluid experience for everyone and want to give Motorola the ability to change the UI, who is to stop Google from simply saying no to the changes made? Even with Android 2.3.
    Hi all,

MY guess is what I posted earlier in this thread....Amazon wants to be the common thread among all of your devices.....so I think they will make smartphones that will play Amazon format movies...Amazon format music....Amazon format books...Amazon format games...Amazon format apps on Amazon format tablets and Amazon format smartphones...

I believe they look at it that you want portability of games, apps, movies & books. so why not make smartphones....

More important...Amazon is a pipeline...they want to offer full service everything so you don't buy from Apple.

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Seeing how Amazon is positioning itself in the tablet market, owning Webos makes sense. Their devices will never get the green light from google, so they'd likely be stuck on Android 2.3 forever. This means newer android apps wouldn't be compatible with their Amazon app catalog. Moving to webOS would allow them to keep their software in competition with the likes of Apple and Google.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    That might be true. But Google, if they want more of a fluid experience for everyone and want to give Motorola the ability to change the UI, who is to stop Google from simply saying no to the changes made? Even with Android 2.3.
    It is too late for that - the very nature of open source means that they cannot make those changes retrospectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Seeing how Amazon is positioning itself in the tablet market, owning Webos makes sense. Their devices will never get the green light from google, so they'd likely be stuck on Android 2.3 forever. This means newer android apps wouldn't be compatible with their Amazon app catalog. Moving to webOS would allow them to keep their software in competition with the likes of Apple and Google.
    I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!
    ilovedessert likes this.
    amazon is a beast because they don't just do things well, they do things no one else has thought of. Too many people on here think they can speak for the mind of Amazon. I suspect no one on here has any clue what Amazon is thinking.

I would rule NOTHING out. Including phones.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    I for one welcome our new Amazonian overlords.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast