Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
    I was under the impression that HP didnt want to sell webOS but license it. Has that changed?
    I doubt that HP even knows what they want to do. They are so disfunctional.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post

i seriously hope this happens. Amazon is a company i respect. their customer service is pretty damn good as well. i'm also hoping they buy hulu, but something tells me that might get gobbled up by google
    <<threads merged>>
    hp clearly doesn't know what to do. amazon has a successful empire and lots of media - if webos devices get an exclusive license to say movies, media, netflix type material or even promotional music/itunes type partnership and even books - well that might turn a perspective apple buyer to webos. o/w how would webos ever gain marketshare - gotta stand out - this might be it.....

o/w if hp hangs on to it they're gonna drive it into the ground...
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Hi all,

I was just giving the entire issue of Amazon wanting Palm/webOS....among Palm's patents are a large number for touch screen tech, several for roll up screens which wasn't possible 15 or so years ago when the patent was issued but is possible now, and of course Touch Stone tech....

Until now Touch Stone wouldn't have mattered for any Kindle since they use eInk and goes weeks and weeks before needing to be charged....Now they have entered the arena of LCD screens which are back-lit and all of a sudden the Touch Stone patents look awful nice to Amazon...

Most important.....MS has is hooks into almost everyone for portions of Android that use or are based on patents that MS now holds....Google and MS have gone a number of rounds in court and are likely to do so again....

This gets the monkey of MS off Amazon's back.....just look at all of the suing in the tablet wars...using & owning webOS protects Amazon quite a bit....

As it stands now Amazon has obliterated the look and feel of Android.....so a change to webOS wouldn't necessarily change the "look" of the Kindle line.

I mentioned earlier a just off the cuff comment that providing Smartphones is a logical step for Amazon....after all they will be able to say...why have movies, books or data on your Smartphone that you can't use on your Kindle and then say that our pipeline provides a common thread from the basic reader to the Kindle Fire and now including our line of Kindle line of Smartphones...

They can also exploit webOS's patents for touch to share tech to easily transfer a book, game, recipe, music and on and on from your Kindle reader to your Kindle Fire to you Kindle Smartphone...

Also who ever designs the kindle line for Amazon has managed to get high marks from almost every tech website, newspaper and magazine.....

Last but certainly not least.....Amazon will be able to brag that they & only they have the tablets that can fully multitask....if the buy Palm/webOS...

The more I think about it, Amazon is most likely the best one to own webOS....if I would dig back far enough in this site, I would find several threads where I said as soon as we knew that HP bought Palm/webOS...that they should have done it in concert with Amazon...b/c HP had/has NO PIPELINE AT ALL.....Also keep in mind that Amazon has the money and clout to make sure that apps are written, ported...etc for a Kindle webOS line....Jeff Bezos has the same forward thinking that Mark Hurd had...shame that no one else at HP had/.has that kind of vision....

Palm/webOS deal with Amazon.....I'm all for it!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    hp clearly doesn't know what to do. amazon has a successful empire and lots of media - if webos devices get an exclusive license to say movies, media, netflix type material or even promotional music/itunes type partnership and even books - well that might turn a perspective apple buyer to webos. o/w how would webos ever gain marketshare - gotta stand out - this might be it.....

o/w if hp hangs on to it they're gonna drive it into the ground...
    Dear cyberprashant,

please see my comments just above this comment and below your last...your 100% correct!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    cyberprashant likes this.
    Why does any of this have to make sense?

Leo being the CEO of HP

Great business decision

These guys are just teenagers making "sound business" decisions for the benefit, of the internal and external customers.

Makes sense to me, Corporate America listens to their customers and makes sound business decisions. Because they are well educated in leadership, ethics, and responsibility.

Oh, wait, this isn't the 1950's

Web OS would be perfect for Amazon. Can you imagine an Amazon phone? When someone calls and another incoming call comes in, you can prioritize by adding to your cart? Or something like that.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i dont know if this was mentioned yet (didnt read all the comments)
    but i found the following very interesting:

It also appears that HP has been eyeing Amazon for some time as a potential webOS partner. In an interview with thisismynext in July, Rubinstein revealed quite a bit about having Amazon use webOS in its future tablets:

So, we’d like a partner that would allow us to expand the webOS ecosystem… There’s a variety of different sets of a characteristics to qualify as a good partner. I would say Amazon would certainly make a great partner, because they have a lot of characteristics that would help them expand the webOS ecosystem. As to whether there’s been discussions or not… that’s obviously not something I’m going to comment about.

[and guess who is on Amazon's board now? none other than Rubinstein ]

ps. here is the interview with regards to amazon Interview: HP’s Stephen DeWitt and Jon Rubinstein on webOS, the death of Palm, and partnering with Amazon | This is my next...
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    i dont know if this was mentioned yet (didnt read all the comments)
    but i found the following very interesting:

It also appears that HP has been eyeing Amazon for some time as a potential webOS partner. In an interview with thisismynext in July, Rubinstein revealed quite a bit about having Amazon use webOS in its future tablets:

So, we’d like a partner that would allow us to expand the webOS ecosystem… There’s a variety of different sets of a characteristics to qualify as a good partner. I would say Amazon would certainly make a great partner, because they have a lot of characteristics that would help them expand the webOS ecosystem. As to whether there’s been discussions or not… that’s obviously not something I’m going to comment about.

[and guess who is on Amazon's board now? none other than Rubinstein ]

ps. here is the interview with regards to amazon Interview: HP’s Stephen DeWitt and Jon Rubinstein on webOS, the death of Palm, and partnering with Amazon | This is my next...
    Hi all,

Too bad HP didn't tie up a deal with Amazon BEFORE they inked the deal with Palm....I still think Amazon is the best fit of all....I also think they'll get a good price b/c HP wants to not walk but run away from webOS and all hardware ASAP!

take care,

Jay
    We are grasping for straws here. Don't you think it is a very convenient coincidence that as soon as Amazon releases it's first tablet that there is a story about Amazon buying webOS? That doesn't seem fishy at all to any of you? Amazon has spent a lot of time building an Android market replacement. Unless they are about to make some RIM like magic and make a layer for Android apps to run on webOS, I see them buying webOS as a pipe dream.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    sinsin07 likes this.
    I have to agree, I don't see this happening at all. I mean, Amazon just totally up-ended Google's control of Android in creating a desirable tablet without Google services (and Google's fees and control) based on their own services. They're using a tested core and all of their own stuff on top? Why would they really have any desire to use webOS now?
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    If Amazon buys WebOS, it will only be a frontend for Android. Amazon whould take the open source version of ICS, folk it with WebOS and place it on 9" or higher tablets.

If Amazon buys WebOS, WebOS on phones is dead. I believe that Amazon will not get into the phone business.
    Why not an "a-Phone"?? Kind of has a nice ring to it. .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    amazon should buy both palm and rim
    Announcing "Primazon"
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I have to agree, I don't see this happening at all. I mean, Amazon just totally up-ended Google's control of Android in creating a desirable tablet without Google services (and Google's fees and control) based on their own services. They're using a tested core and all of their own stuff on top? Why would they really have any desire to use webOS now?
    Amazon and Google are going to war. Google controls when new android versions are released to developers and which developers get them. Is Amazon going to be happy being at the end of the line to get their hands on Ice Cream Sandwich? Considering they're using Gingerbread on the Kindle Fire one has to wonder how much access they have to Honeycomb. Google can make it very difficult for Amazon to keep pace in the tablet market. The Kindle Fire was built using an outdated OS. Long-term, that can't be acceptable to Amazon.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    for all our sake i hope you are wrong :P

i think it depends on what amazon wants to do. if they play their cards right i can see them competing with apple in many respects, and fairly well. already amazon is kind of mimicking apple. apple has a lot of systems all connected and encapsulated(?) within itunes and ios and their apps marketplace/phones/laptops/ipads etc. i see amazon is similar in that amazon has cloud storage, syncs your media that you buy from amazon, movie streaming etc. amazon already has a marketplace established(granted a pretty broad one).

now, what does that have to do with webOS? i guess it all depends on how much amazon wants to rely on android/google, or if they want to have their own 'in-house' development. i think if amazon has bold plans to really compete i could see them buying webOs (if the price is right), or if they are happy with the position they are in, and are more conservative, then they'd probably stick with android.

also something to consider, i can see that even if they bought the remains of palm from hp, that it could very well be possible they have both android/fire tablets and larger tablets with webos. in other words, i'm not so sure they would completely cut off android just b/c they got webOs. there would probably be room for both, at different pricing points... but doing that might end up segregating their products.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I read that the Palm patents are so outdated that they are not worth much.
    Hi,

1. I doubt that comment is correct, after all I know for fact that Palm as multiple patents for a folding screen which wasn't possible back then, but is now....

2. Amazon wants to be the common thread from device to device....from Kindle book reader, to tablet, to downloading movies thru your TIVO or other device...I would find it odd that they not go after smartphone as well...

3. The world of Android is littered with tons of lawsuits....many of which deal with the fact that MS now owns patents it purchased that have been infringed upon by Google multiple times...most makers of Android hardware have settled with MS and are paying them hefty fees...which leaves MS to continue it's fight with Google over Android violating it's patents....(if I'm niot mistaken MS will refund those fees if it looses to Google....but a few of those patents were worked on by a friend...so from what I heard, MS is sure to win...)..

Jeff Bezos and others have stated that Amazon is loosing on ever Kindle Fire but the will make it up on content....I'm sure he also doesn't want to shell out hundreds of millions of dollars to MS over Android...

Owning webOS frees him from that concern....Mr. Bezos has the money, clout and smarts to port or have ported apps from other platforms to webOS.

Buying webOS frees him up from legal fights with MS and huge fees as well.

I also think HP at this point is willing to sell it off at a very reasonable price, just to make the issue go away!

Plus accidently HP expanded the user base of webOS another plus for Amazon.

take care,

Jay
    Philly-Sports likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That still doesn't get around the fundamental problem - Amazon designed from the ground up, the GUI on the fire to best support their services and their ability to sell you stuff. It's a device designed to sell their stuff to you and allow you to play or read that content in the most straight forward manner.

What does WebOS which is a general purpose operating offer Amazon over their own GUI that is designed specifically for them by them in an attempt to maximise revenues?

That's the problem with this idea - synergy, just type, notifications, cards - none of those things are important to Amazon because they aren't trying to sell that type of device. So where's the value (beyond patents)?
    What does WebOS offer them that Android doesn't? The ability to customize the user experience.

Let me explain. Its been talked about how with honeycomb Google planned on locking the user experience. I realize that didn't exactly happen but if Google plans on locking it down even further, then Amazon will have problems. Care in point, Amazon is using Android 2.3 right now -- not even the tablet version of the OS. And this can put Amazon at a disadvantage because Motorola probably will retain the ability to customize the OS which furthers hampers Amazon's ability to sell its products.

And considering most of this came to light after Amazon started development of The Fire its possible they couldn't afford delaying and not releasing the product.

But I will wait for an official response from Hp what they plan on doing. Amazon would change so much of WebOS. I dont know if we would even care.
    And to further add to the case for an Amazon buyout, WebOS is built Around the web. Amazon has some of the best cloud services around. That goes hand and hand with what Amazon wants to do and would be a match made in heaven.
    ilovedessert and DoobieDoo like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    Amazon and Google are going to war. Google controls when new android versions are released to developers and which developers get them. Is Amazon going to be happy being at the end of the line to get their hands on Ice Cream Sandwich? Considering they're using Gingerbread on the Kindle Fire one has to wonder how much access they have to Honeycomb. Google can make it very difficult for Amazon to keep pace in the tablet market. The Kindle Fire was built using an outdated OS. Long-term, that can't be acceptable to Amazon.
    So True - especially with Google owning (or trying to own - heard that they may face DOJ opposition) Motorola Mobility. Motorola would probably have the inside track on the latest OS. That's why, in the phone market, HTC and Samsung are both shopping for an OS.

As someone with a TouchPad - and a kind of "vested interest", I would LOVE for it to be Amazon.
    Last edited by DILands; 10/01/2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Stupid typo!! LOL
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I'm at a loss here
    reports of samsung and HTC thinking of webos
    Now Amazon please how does this make sense? Have they all gone mad?
    Android has the app and developer support
    WEBOS is unfinished and needs lots of work, true the TP is pretty good but only after all the patches and updates

WEBOS is like Vista unpatched and un updated
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.