Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
    I'd say its extremely unlikely to happen given the work that Amazon have obviously already put into heavily modifying the Android operating system for their new Kindle Fire. It's possible, but either way I doubt that the future webOS implementation will look anything like it does today, I don't see Amazon buying webOS as 'keeping the dream alive'.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Amazon wants a walled garden, like Apple, and also wants a good Tablet OS. Locking down a tablet with WebOS would be perfect for them to keep the content only with them and have an OS that is differentiated from the rest, while not being just another Android system that'll get hacked in hours/days. I think there's a decent chance but HP might think it's worth more than Amazon would pay. HP bought it to use on many many devices, Amazon would be on just tablets.
    Sure. But don't you think they have to take the device market share before they can start talking about dominance? Should they give up the customer base on other platforms (android for example) and provide contents only to AmazOS users? If not, how can they dominate? If yes, how can they dominate? Amazon has to become a big device player (and stuff the device with AmazOS and Amacontents).
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 09/30/2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: nothing
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Technically it would probably be perfect for everyone involved (Amazon, WebOS, us), but pretty much zero chance of it happening.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    amazon should buy both palm and rim
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Zero chance
    Zero chance. They have Android already, what business benefit do they get from licensing or buying webOS?
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

They will use it to power their Kindles and what not. Running a heavily customized version of android, I see them doing the same to webOS, allowing only amazon appstore. Unless a hardware manufacturer in the likes of Samsung, HTC or even Motora is in the picture, I see no future for this awesome though not yet so optimized OS. Which is a shame, because I do see the potential ans ease of use of this great great OS. For years I have been longing to hold a webOS device in the palm of my hand, (you saw what I did there.. old school huh..) only to see it has a total lack of support. Like one member here said, I too am tired to support the underdog. Next phone will be the one with the most apps, the flashiest commercials and the most stupid look at me I am so coolio factor. Heck even Meego got a break and will be updatet to Tizen, have more support and the thing is not even here yet.
    Android, WP7 or iOS.. Right now these are the options.
    I will however support and keep my Pre3 for at least a year. From then on.. We will see..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    <threads merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    3) Fork android and build tablet

More importantly, they have developed their own GUI for it based around their store. The biggest advantage of WebOS, the GUI is irrelevant to Amazon. If they were interested in what it could do, they could have ripped it off when designing their GUI.
    Note Fire is not a fork of Android, it is just the open source 2.3 with a custom UI on top. A fork is a totally different kernel, this would cause issues running apps on phones and tablets with time.

The custom GUI could take ideas from webOS.
    Last edited by frmorrison; 09/30/2011 at 05:05 PM.
    So... how many possible buyers do we have now?

HTC, Sony, Lenovo, Samsung, Facebook, and now Amazon?

Am I missing anyone?

Am I missing anyone?
    Me

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    You don't think it was the webOS debacle that cost HP that much value, do you? They did announce they were spinning off their PC business and an expensive acquisition on the same day...
    hey mate, of course the PSG spinoff announcement was a direct influence, ie it wasn't just the webOS announcement in isolation that caused the devaluation.

I could have elaborated in my post, however the point I was trying to make was the timing and bungling way Leo communicated the changes. The average Joe saw HP doing a 180 degree on its webOS strategy and an unanticipated exit from a major arm of its business (PSG). The Autonomy acquisition was perceived as negative because of the preceding two announcements.

As a consequence the trust and confidence by the rest of the world (consumers, investors, shareholders... even HP's own 300,000 employee's) with HP's leadership was severely eroded, the brand was obviously damaged, and the stock value plummeted.

Lets hope that webOS's future brightens up soon. My fingers and toes are crossed !

Anyway, that is just my view, all 2 cents of it. Peace :-)
    Hi all,

The best reason I can think of for Amazon to buy webOS is the fact that MS has it's hooks into almost everyone over Andriod...and yet the courts have yet to finish ruling on that one....Andriod may be on shaky ground webOS gives Amazon more solid ground....

Amazon may decide that since it has a very full pipeline that it may want to completely compete with Apple...this way you won't have movies, songs etc...on one OS but want them on another...

Sooner or later there will be the clash of the titians as MS sues Google and wins!

Please see link.

take care,

Jay

Is Amazon Shopping for WebOS?

By Richard Adhikari
    TechNewsWorld
    09/30/11 11:51 AM PT

Technology News: Operating Systems: Is Amazon Shopping for WebOS?

Amazon just brought out its new Android-based Kindle Fire tablet, so why has a report surfaced that it's looking to buy webOS from HP? The purchase could actually make senses for a number of reasons. With Android on shaky legal ground, webOS would provide Amazon a safe haven for future endeavors. At the very least, it would give the online retailer a long list of patents to pocket.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post

Am I missing anyone?
    Dell. And you have a couple too many: Neither Amazon nor Facebook will buy webos. And if either did it would be bad for us (no more webos smartphones).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    you missed qualcomm
    Today it's the battle of the patents and Palm has one of the strongest patent portfolios; if/when anyone acquires Palm/webOS it's for the portfolio.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Today it's the battle of the patents and Palm has one of the strongest patent portfolios; if/when anyone acquires Palm/webOS it's for the portfolio.
    Hi all,

I agree with you...But try this on for size....if HP sells webOS to Amazon...Amazon is free to develop smartphones that will use the same pipeline of Amazon ebooks, Amazon music, Amazon downloaded movies and videos....

People won't have to buy movies or ebooks for their smartphones and a different format for their other devices!

Amazon is bigger than Apple therefore it has huge buying potential that will encourage apps to be written and/or ported....After all Amazon now sells more ebooks than paper books, they've sold millions of Kindles and with the new prices the cheapest unit is now $79!

Newspapers and magazines are very unhappy with the financial arrangement that Apple has crammed down their throats....Amazon has indicated it's willing to be more flexible than the 30% that Apple demands for Newspapers and magazines....add that to the musicians that have always been unhappy with the fact that they fork over 40% to Apple, (as far as I remember Apple gets a higher percentage from music than print media...I don't know the percentage rate for video, games & apps).

I fully expect to see Newspapers and magazines as well as musicians trying to play Amazon against Apple...which works out better for us!

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Makes sense to me. Since they don't have a tablet but a nice super ereader, the sky would be the limit if they had webos in hand.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Myn’s Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
    Android = beholden to Google (plus potential BS from Oracle in the form of Java related IP infringement frivolous lawsuits) and the threat of paying royalties to Micro$oft. WebOS has interesting patents and a solid Linux-based platform. Should be easy to re-create the Fire interface on a patent-protected WebOS platform while adding WebOS' cool functionality.