Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpaul View Post
    I know a lot of people may instantly disagree with me here, but the bungled handling of this superb platform in recent months has served to expose the platform to a broader, newer audience and raise its profile. Yup, that bungling also cost HP 16 billion in lost stock value and the resulting brand damage may take years to recover from.
    You don't think it was the webOS debacle that cost HP that much value, do you? They did announce they were spinning off their PC business and an expensive acquisition on the same day...
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    The other problem with "This will stop microsoft suing them!" angle on WebOS is that Amazon have already thought of that one...
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    The site has been around for 10 years so how many of those are actually active? There are just a little over 13K twitter followers while Android Central which is only 3 years old has over 100K and already passed the 500K mark.
    You do know that Android Central and Pre|Central (notice the word "Central" in each) are sister sites. They are part of the Smartphone Experts family. Also, Android has over a 40% share of the smartphone market and webOS only has 4% yet each site has about the same registered members. Hmmm... Might want to find another point to make.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You don't think it was the webOS debacle that cost HP that much value, do you? They did announce they were spinning off their PC business and an expensive acquisition on the same day...
    It certainly wasn't all of the problem, but I can't exactly see shareholders (if they are paying attention) being thrilled with throwing away a product that had been in the market for roughly 6-10 weeks for the TP, and maybe 2 days for the Pre 3 (in certain markets). That just sounds like unstable management.
    This story makes no sense, but then again nothing in the past 2 months has made sense when webOS or HP is involved.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I think this makes a lot of sense, actually. Amazon has to at least consider replacing Android with webOS, because that allows them to control their own destiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    psst......the world's full of them (fools)......
    Only a fool pretends to know what Amazon's end game is.
    Quote Originally Posted by nns View Post
    I think this makes a lot of sense, actually. Amazon has to at least consider replacing Android with webOS, because that allows them to control their own destiny.
    This would give them protection from both apple and M$. With a hardware manufacturer like say HTC. They could have both a 7in tablet and 4+in slab phone. Could go head to head with apple and undercut them at the same time. Where apple is concerned with hw units sold. Amazon is concerned with selling services and products from their catalog. That's where they make their money. This actually makes a lot of sense in the big picture of it all. Let's hope this works out that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturos View Post
    Don't agree.
    webOS is not competition. For all intents and purposes it is currently already killed off.

If these rumors are true it means that Amazon is ready to become a major player in the tablet market and has decided to differentiate themselves with webOS rather than Android.
    There is no reason to buy webOS if all they have desire to sell is media devices. They could easily just continue with the android based fire. This would mark the rebirth of webos in the tablet marketplace (cant see them entering the phone market though).

Think about it (or dream would be better) Amazon media, books, movies, music, streaming combined with webOS native apps and an android player running Amazon's own app store.
    There is no point buying webOS unless that right there is their plan. Otherwise they would save their cash and continue using android.

This is the most exciting rumor in months, unfortunately right now it is just a rumor... my fingers are crossed though!
    Hi all,

Your forgetting ONE MAJOR ISSUE.....what if it's Palm's patents what Amazon really wants????

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hopefully someone buys webOS, that would be great

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Your forgetting ONE MAJOR ISSUE.....what if it's Palm's patents what Amazon really wants????

Take care,

Jay
    Amazon has no use for the patents unless they are expanding into the tablet market on their own.

Amazon is doing nothing that could get them sued directly atm. The patents are useless to Amazon unless they plan to be a major player in the tablet market with their own OS. Otherwise they would save their cash and continue with Android (see B&N Nook).
    Guys - don't fall for this.

I bet all those articles go back to the same source - and that "source" made this up.

Amazon buying webos does not make sense for anybody.

Amazon already got what they need. The forked Android to have the low level and app supply taken care of and then put on a new GUI layer for their own specific purposes.

With that they just released a range of devices that totally cover everything Amazon needs and wants from their own hardware. It serves the content they offer and acts as a shopfront to their Virtual Super-Mall.
    webos wouldn't provide them with anything that they need and not already have.

Amazon is not going to go into the smartphone business. And they are not even likely to try to compete at the high end tablet market vs Apple.

Which not only means that Amazon won't be interested in webos - but also that it would be bad for our interests if they were. If this were true (really, it's not) Amazon would only use it for tablets and even there they would cut it down and specialize it. There would be no more smartphones.

BTW - they don't need to buy webos OS or any other part of former Palm assets to buy patents. And they don't have to buy this particular set of patents to get a defense going.

This is just a rumor and it will turn out to be wrong.

If anybody is going to buy webos it's going to be HTC or Dell (after Samsung said no). For us it would be better if it were HTC. They are in the smartphone business and hungry to expand. Dell would probably screw this up. Or rather - they are more likely to screw this up than HTC.
    Another wildcard alterntiv could be a Chinese, Indian or Brazilian company that we never heard of before, but already builds plenty of stuff behind somebody else's brand name (a la Foxconn) and now would like to go up-market.

While I have some small hope that webos gets rescued *again* - I assume that it's dead and that I'll have to switch to something else in 2-3 years. Sigh.

But until then - the Pre3 rocks.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The other problem with "This will stop microsoft suing them!" angle on WebOS is that Amazon have already thought of that one...
    Not so fast CGK!

“In 2010, we signed a cross-licensing agreement with Amazon that includes coverage for Amazon’s popular e-reading device, Kindle, which employs both open source and Amazon’s proprietary software components, and Amazon’s use of Linux-based servers. Our agreement does not cover Android tablets,” a Microsoft spokesperson told BGR. “Amazon is a valued and respected business partner. Our previous agreement is a reflection of our ongoing collaboration and we look forward to building on this relationship.”
    Who here thinks HP was actually trying to accomplish something? Honestly. They were getting out of the consumer business, so they gave away basically free tablets as a final farewell. I'm grateful.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/30/2011 at 02:19 PM.
    PCMag article - speculative, for now - What do you think?
    Technology Product Reviews, News, Prices & Downloads | PCMag.com | PC Magazine
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    PCMag article - speculative, for now - What do you think?
    Technology Product Reviews, News, Prices & Downloads | PCMag.com | PC Magazine
    Amazon wants a walled garden, like Apple, and also wants a good Tablet OS. Locking down a tablet with WebOS would be perfect for them to keep the content only with them and have an OS that is differentiated from the rest, while not being just another Android system that'll get hacked in hours/days. I think there's a decent chance but HP might think it's worth more than Amazon would pay. HP bought it to use on many many devices, Amazon would be on just tablets.
    Philly-Sports likes this.
    In my opinion the odds are slim to none.
    kill_dano and LurkerX like this.
    To quote Dean Wormer: 0.0. They already have an OS for their tablet, a tablet that is going to prove very successful, and that OS is free. Isn't there a new rumor every week about some company being close to buying webOS?

The article headline is wrong -- it makes no sense to scrap everything they've done, spent time and money on, to buy an orphaned OS and start all over again.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Actually, it looks like they are in talks:
    Amazon has Palm in its shopping cart — will it click Buy? (exclusive) | VentureBeat

Also, form the article:

" It’s worth noting that former Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein, who now holds a vague “product innovation” role at HP’s Personal Services Group, joined Amazon’s board late last year."
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I was under the impression that HP didnt want to sell webOS but license it. Has that changed?
    Palm Lifedrive --> Palm Centro --> Palm Pre (Sprint)
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast