Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I still want my webOS powered Kindle with an E-ink color display.
    The worst thing with Amazon is that they've never shown interest in seeing customers happy outside of ensuring they make their sales. Amazon is more selfish than most companies in that its decisions are slanted extremely towards making profits and controlling the market rather than ensuring that their customers are happy or become successful in whatever it is they're doing.

If Amazon ends up buying Palm, I'm afraid it'll just be to gain access to patents and developers and use those resource to secure more customers.
    Amazon has own ecosystem already built that HP doesn´t. The question is, Will Amazon stay in the edge of e-readers/tablets and products store or will go beyond to match the Tablets PCs like iPad, and Androids. ?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Rumour or otherwise, I'm just astounded at the amount of love shown for an OS. Its almost as hysterical as the Apple camp, and I'm not trying to imply that in a bad way. I've just checked the twittersphere and yes the tweets are thick and fast with hordes of folk almost willing the rumour into fact.

It takes only one unsubstantiated report on some bespoke website and it then becomes 'news' which goes viral. Speculation stories about Samsung, HTC, FaceBook etc all met with the same fervor but ultimately not materialising - yet in any case.

I know a lot of people may instantly disagree with me here, but the bungled handling of this superb platform in recent months has served to expose the platform to a broader, newer audience and raise its profile. Yup, that bungling also cost HP 16 billion in lost stock value and the resulting brand damage may take years to recover from.

However on the flip side, many people like me didn't get acquainted with webOS until HP introduced the TP. Now I own two of them and two Pre 3's. I simply adore webOS, warts and all. Sure I would be delighted with the knowledge and security that it was in better hands and new hardware was in development as I type. For now I am content with what I have and remain grateful to the devs who continue their work. Thank you dev's !

Anyway, while there are way better things to worry about in this world other than the success or failure of a convenience technology such as an OS designed for a mobile phone, I remain fascinated with this tortuous David and Goliath struggle in the tech world and will continue to root for our under dog champion, webOS :-)

[eyes squeezed shut, fingers and toes crossed, reciting 'please please please be true'] hehehe

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    fmarcanojr and k4ever like this.
    Hi all,

FYI. see link

Take care,

Jay

Amazon rumored to be latest webOS suitor

Rumors by Dan Seifert on Friday September 30, 2011.

RUMOR: Amazon rumored to be latest webOS suitor

According to a "well-placed source" reporting to VentureBeat, Amazon is in discussions with HP to purchase the webOS mobile operating system from the PC giant. Amazon is the latest in a line of companies that have been rumored to be interested in webOS, including HTC, Samsung, and even Facebook.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    CNET and PC Mag are reporting that Amazon is in talks to buy the Palm webos operating system for its Kindles.

Edit: Threads merged.
    Last edited by danlbuc; 09/30/2011 at 10:10 AM.
    If Amazon buys WebOS, it will only be a frontend for Android. Amazon whould take the open source version of ICS, folk it with WebOS and place it on 9" or higher tablets.

If Amazon buys WebOS, WebOS on phones is dead. I believe that Amazon will not get into the phone business.
    <threads merged>
    Hi all,

I'm posting a few other articles so we can glean as much into as possible. Also is HP by the hardware end of webOS, the software end of webOS or all of webOS?

Take care,

Jay.

PS This is happening b/c I just ordered an Android phone, LOL....besides we have no idea if Amazon would launch the phone aspect of webOS!

Article one:

Amazon has Palm in its shopping cart — will it click Buy? (exclusive)
    September 29, 2011 | Devindra Hardawar

Amazon has Palm in its shopping cart — will it click Buy? (exclusive) | VentureBeat

Article two:

Palm on Amazon's own wish list, report says
    By: Lance Whitney September 30, 2011 5:55 AM PDT

Palm on Amazon's own wish list, report says | Business Tech - CNET News

Amazon may have Palm on its shopping list.

The retail giant is said to be in "serious negotiations" to acquire what's left of Palm from current parent Hewlett-Packard, according to VentureBeat.

Citing a "well-placed source," VentureBeat says that HP is eager to get rid of Palm, and among the current suitors, Amazon is the closest to cutting a deal. The tech news site also notes a connection between the companies as former Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein, who currently has a role at HP working with WebOS, joined Amazon's board of directors last year.

Who will save what’s left of Palm from HP’s bumbling? It could be Amazon, as the online retailing giant is in serious negotiations to snap up Palm from HP, VentureBeat has learned.

Article three:

Amazon close to Palm buy claims HP insider
    Chris Davies, Sep 30th 2011

Amazon close to Palm buy claims HP insider - SlashGear

Amazon has been tipped as the latest potential suitor for what remains of Palm, with insider sources at HP claiming the mega-retailer is close to finalizing a deal. HP is reportedly looking to rid itself of Palm as soon as it can, VentureBeat‘s tipster tells them, and while there are apparently “a handful of contenders” interested, it’s Amazon that’s closest to handing over the cash. However, it’s unclear from the leaks whether Amazon would be buying Palm’s hardware business, the webOS platform, or both.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm sure there were well-placed sources that said those other companies were interested. There were some who still believe Samsung wants it even when Samsung came out and said, "Hell no." I guess the thing to do is throw out a rumor every week to get hits. I wonder who's next?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Amazon would probably be the only company that would allow any future OS on the existing touchpad hardware.. what better launch than 1M instant customers to the Amazon store
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I'm sure there were well-placed sources that said those other companies were interested. There were some who still believe Samsung wants it even when Samsung came out and said, "Hell no." I guess the thing to do is throw out a rumor every week to get hits. I wonder who's next?
    The Taliban?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Hi all,

For 25 years of my life...all of my working life I was self employed....my clients were most of the major airlines domestic & international, 3 cruise lines, as well as JFK, LGA & Newark airports and over the years learned NO and Hell No usually change to yes as long as they can make a buck or screw someone else out of a penny!

Take care,

jay
    Darn.. Why do I keep reading these threads? Why do I keep doing this to myself with the hope again. It's like having a passive aggressive relationship that is on and off, on and off with the promise of some nookie at the end of it all.. Well, I just can't invest any more energy in the hope for another WebOS suitor. While I want it to be true - I will only believe it when a company actually puts there money down and puts out...
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Can't say that I am a Jim Carrey fan, but this exchange from Dumb & Dumber seems appropriate:

Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
    Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
    Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
    Mary: Not good.
    Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
    Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
    [pause]
    Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... YEAH!

I'll take whatever chance I can get.

cheers,
    Scuba (still rocking a Pre minus...and trying to fight off GS2 urges)
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Would be the death of webOS as this would be a pure patent-grab.
    I second this. Good way to kill off potential competition.
    <threads merged>
    Palmazon, please. Oh please let it be so!
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric90066 View Post
    I second this. Good way to kill off potential competition.
    Don't agree.
    webOS is not competition. For all intents and purposes it is currently already killed off.

If these rumors are true it means that Amazon is ready to become a major player in the tablet market and has decided to differentiate themselves with webOS rather than Android.
    There is no reason to buy webOS if all they have desire to sell is media devices. They could easily just continue with the android based fire. This would mark the rebirth of webos in the tablet marketplace (cant see them entering the phone market though).

Think about it (or dream would be better) Amazon media, books, movies, music, streaming combined with webOS native apps and an android player running Amazon's own app store.
    There is no point buying webOS unless that right there is their plan. Otherwise they would save their cash and continue using android.

This is the most exciting rumor in months, unfortunately right now it is just a rumor... my fingers are crossed though!
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    The worst thing with Amazon is that they've never shown interest in seeing customers happy outside of ensuring they make their sales. Amazon is more selfish than most companies in that its decisions are slanted extremely towards making profits and controlling the market rather than ensuring that their customers are happy or become successful in whatever it is they're doing.

If Amazon ends up buying Palm, I'm afraid it'll just be to gain access to patents and developers and use those resource to secure more customers.
    How so? Any time I have ever had an issue with an Amazon order, their customer support teams have went above and beyond. More so than anyone other than the classic Sprint from years ago.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast