Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    1) Build Android based app store
    2) Build cloud apps based around android
    3) Fork android and build tablet
    4) Spend time and money developing a new GUI to go over the top of your forked branch
    5) Have a massive release of new tablet, order around eight million
    6) Buy webOS - huh?

Makes absolutely no sense at this stage beyond patents - WebOS does nothing for Amazon. They have an android app store, cloud apps built around android, a forked branch of android they will have spent time and money on.

More importantly, they have developed their own GUI for it based around their store. The biggest advantage of WebOS, the GUI is irrelevant to Amazon. If they were interested in what it could do, they could have ripped it off when designing their GUI.
    I agree that Amazon has sunk a lot of effort into their product launch and Android.

But, 2 things

Amazon started down their road before webOS was available, and certainly before they saw the popularity of the device with the fire sale.

Second, face it - Android is crap.

What the TouchPad has is the HP MovieStore - which if that were powered by Amazon, would be awesome!

And maybe they've seen all the TP's showing up in their unlimited video service!
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Would be the death of webOS as this would be a pure patent-grab.
    Actually, I disagree. And to be honest, what I would hope is that Amazon finally integrates the software to some great hardware.

I think that they want the UI, (who wouldn't want the UI!) and I think they want some of the software.

I also think that they have a great end to end software business. And if they wanted to add a phone to that, buying palm would do that for them.

OMG. I just realized...

Jon Rubenstein, Amazon board of directors. He joined... what... last fall?

I didn't see it coming, but think about it... Amazon buys Palm, Jon leaves board to head up Palm at Amazon. He's back in the saddle...

Uh oh.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Well, at least the article does say there are a "handful" of contenders. That has to mean something, right?

RIGHT?!?

That means that there is interest on webOS. I don't know if this is going to materialize (or if this rumour is true at all), but none of the reasons described here to deny the possibility are valid.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    This is the thing - they don't care - the GUI they want you to use and they have designed is literally five buttons "Movies", "Music", "Books", "apps", Web" - that's it. Everything about the OS is designed to sell you things from Amazon - it's perfect for that purpose because it's designed for that purpose. Forgot android on other devices, the GUI has nothing to do with those devices.

What the TouchPad has is the HP MovieStore - which if that were powered by Amazon, would be awesome!
    It's just a rebranded Roxio store.
    slbailey1 and DeadVim like this.
    I kind of agree with CGK. As it stands webOs is too open for Amazon. It's designed to take the best of the web and seamlessly integrate it. Amazon will want you too take the best of Amazon and buy it.

That said, I think amazon has set itself up for a long war with Google by the way they've usurped their revenue stream. Remember that Google probably doesn't make much money off of each Android phone as it is. It reminds me a bit of Palm borrowing iTunes to sync music. Apple reacted with hostility and i'm sure Google will, albeit at a slower, more considered rate.
    I read that the Palm patents are so outdated that they are not worth much.
    You should read other sources.

Newness Developments apps:

un_designer and theclares like this.
    Great article, love the mock logo too.
    webOS needs reliable hardware from a great consumer-oriented organization with a proven track record to support it. Go webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    I agree that Amazon has sunk a lot of effort into their product launch and Android.

But, 2 things

Amazon started down their road before webOS was available, and certainly before they saw the popularity of the device with the fire sale.

And maybe they've seen all the TP's showing up in their unlimited video service!
    OMG, I agree. Amazon is exactly the type of organization webOS needs. The ultimate content provider matched with the ultimate mobile OS. Go webOS Go.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Only a fool would consider buying palm.
    psst......the world's full of them......
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    This story is strting to gain steam in the twitterwebs... GigaOM, mobileburn, elcteonista....

-- Sent from my White HP Touchpad
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    This is interesting:

Amazon Reportedly Trying to Buy Palm.

Amazon reportedly trying to buy Palm | Business Tech - CNET News
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/30/2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Title clarified
    Dazo and mknba like this.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Hehe well I admire the eternal optimism of most TP and Pre users. Fingers crossed

Ps @Fred1955 don't you mean 'Go TouchPad Go'? Hahaha :-P

<thread moved>
    Now that would be interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpaul View Post
    Hehe well I admire the eternal optimism of most TP and Pre users. Fingers crossed

Ps @Fred1955 don't you mean 'Go TouchPad Go'? Hahaha :-P

Ha Ha...Yes, I agree with you. I've been a long time webOS/PalmOS user so I say, "Now is the Perfect Time" for webOS to get great hardware, and be supported by an awesome, consumer-based organization. The best mobile OS with the best content provider is a win/win scenario.
    So, Yes. Go webOS, Go TouchPad Go, Go Pre3, Pre4, and, any future webOS devices.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Now of course I'd like to get all excited about this, but I've been around for a while to know how this usually plays out.
    Still hoping though...
    I just think these journalists are writing crazy stories to get hits on their site. Some of the ideas/claims are pretty out there.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    VentureBeat says: "Amazon would have free rein to redesign WebOS to its own liking, and it would be able to further differentiate its Kindle devices from the slew of Android tablets in the market." In other words, VentureBeat thinks Amazon should buy a proprietary operating system rather than change one that's open source.

But Amazon's TUI already provides differentiation from other Android tablets. For Amazon to put that same differentiation on top of a failed operating system instead of on top of a successful one makes no sense.
    Rumour: Amazon might buy WebOS. But why? | ZDNet UK
    Three words: Amazon Elastic Computing.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast