Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
Like Tree58Likes
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    What it boils down to is Android is free (and always will be)
    This is not correct. Yes, Android is free to get but to use is another thing. Just ask every major manufacturer, other than Motorola, how much money they have to pay Microsoft from each and every Android device manufactured. Motorola is still in litigation and will fall too. Insiders say the Samsung deal is $15 per phone and part of the patent agreement is that Samsung is having to make some Windows phone models. Even Apple has part of their litigation in reference to the OS being used in the Samsung devices. It's like being given a Hummer for free but then you realize you have to pay for gas.

If the Fire and their 10" tablet become a dominant player in the market then you can guarantee that Microsoft will be going to court with them too and they'll lose. Palm patents would give them that freedom from the lawsuits.
    Its not half the apps, not even close

What it boils down to is Android is free (and always will be) and does exactly what they want it to, webOS is not free and would require work to get it to do what they want it to. Amazon is not buying webOS.
    Google is not happy with Amazon at all. They pretty much took all the work they did on Android and ripped Google's source of income. So if Amazon really is considering the buyout ita for patents. Don't think Google will lend patenta they own to help fight Microsoft and Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    It no longer matters how free Android will be ever again if Amazon forked it, who cares?
    You're right, who cares? Tablets are a tiny, TINY portion of Android device sales. You are putting way too much into Amazon's role in the future of Android. Now, if HTC and Samsung started doing the same thing on their phones, you might have a point.

Lets bump this thread in a month so we all have a nice chuckle at the idea that Amazon was going to buy webOS. By then we'll have moved on to Apple buying webOS.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    You're right, who cares? Tablets are a tiny, TINY portion of Android device sales. You are putting way too much into Amazon's role in the future of Android. Now, if HTC and Samsung started doing the same thing on their phones, you might have a point.

Lets bump this thread in a month so we all have a nice chuckle at the idea that Amazon was going to buy webOS. By then we'll have moved on to Apple buying webOS.
    In a month we'll probably see that Microsoft has taken Amazon to court to continue with their cashflow from Android. Microsoft makes more money off of Android patent litigation than they do off their own Windows phone 7.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    In a month we'll probably see that Microsoft has taken Amazon to court to continue with their cashflow from Android. Microsoft makes more money off of Android patent litigation than they do off their own Windows phone 7.
    Or Amazon has already accounted for this cost and is signing a licencing deal as we speak (they have an existing one for the kindle) - as mentioned above, Microsoft was charging something like $5 per device in licensing fees, the google apps are about $15, Amazon are not including the apps, so they still come out ahead....

HTC and Samsung already put custom skins on Android. HTC and Samsung also delay the release of new versions of Android on their devices in order to modify them to make sure their skins work. There is no uniformity whatsoever in the Android world. It is really exciting and frustrating at the same time.

Apple did try to buy Palm, btw, but was outbidded by HP.

Edit: Here is a link:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/..._palm-apple-hp
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Or Amazon has already accounted for this cost and is signing a licencing deal as we speak (they have an existing one for the kindle) - as mentioned above, Microsoft was charging something like $5 per device in licensing fees, the google apps are about $15, Amazon are not including the apps, so they still come out ahead....
    Microsoft is charging $10-15 per device, not $5.
    Looking at what Amazon has done over the last few days, it's is pretty clear that they want developers to make tailored apps specifically for the fire and their fork. They aren't going to all this trouble to replace it all with WebOS in six months.

So... who's next? McDonalds? NASA? Walmart?
    It will probably take NASA to get webos optimized to today's tablet standards.
    Imagine webos running the International Space Station. A docking procedure would probably be done is slow motion. Then there is the communication back to earth, whcih may be subject to random sound dropouts. Hello earth, life support is flicker on and off, it says the error is TMC
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet hit by patent lawsuit | Politics and Law - CNET News

Acacia is suing based on Patents owned by Palm/Palmsource.

Patent trolling is very profitable for them. Why wouldn't amazon license or purchase WebOS?

Here are all the patents. Here are all of the patent documents. The article mentions one Palm patent, but Palm/Palmsource is the assignee on all of them.

Exhibit A - US 6,950,645 - Power-conserving intuitive device discovery technique in a bluetooth environment. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6950645.html

Exhibit B - US 7,506,064 - Handheld computer system that attempts to establish an alternative network link upon failing to establish a requested network link.
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7506064.html

Exhibit C - US RE40,459 - Method and apparatus for communicating information over low bandwidth communications networks.http://www.freepatentsonline.com/RE40459.html

Exhibit D - US 6,956,562 - Method for controlling a handheld computer by entering commands onto a displayed feature of the handheld computer http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6956562.html

Exhibit E - US 6,466,236 - System and method for displaying and manipulating multiple calendars on a personal digital assistant http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6466236.html
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Acacia is suing based on Patents owned by Palm/Palmsource.

Patent trolling is very profitable for them. Why wouldn't amazon license or purchase WebOS?
    Because Palm source (now Access Systems) is not Palm (and therefore HP), you can read about it's history here. None of those patents are owned by HP, so they add nothing to the valuation of WebOS.
    Because Palm source (now Access Systems) is not Palm (and therefore HP), you can read about it's history here. None of those patents are owned by HP, so they add nothing to the valuation of WebOS.
    that article does not include the patent history, however, I believe that HP currently owns limited licensing rights to PalmSource patents (at least those pertaining to a mobile OS). Therefore they add value in terms of a shield (in patent litigation) but not a sword.
    Hi all,

In that they aren't owned by HP, you are 100% correct, however if I remember correctly, Palm/webOS was granted the right to use those patents in perpetuity and that right is fully transferable...

Additionally Access Systems only owns a small portion of Palm's treasure trove of patents...Palm had over 1,000 which were then transferred to HP...I'm 100% sure that any deal for Palm/webOS will include all of them....

One last thing, as I just mentioned in another thread.....I know for fact that Palm has a number of patents in roll up screens, (I believe it was in an interview on Treo Central years ago with Jeff Hawkings)...Hp has at least one patent of it's own in fold up screens....HP also was granted a deal with the US army to design a held held device with a fold up or roll up screen....my guess is that the Army contract as well as the fold up screen patents will be also up for grabs....

The patents were approved when the Treo phone was in it's infancy...they were worthless to borrow funds against to raise money for Palm....however roll up screens are actually possible today....

I posted an article within the last week or so that claimed that Amazon was also interested in tech that HP just recently acquired for using your smartphone as a wallet, (I think the deal was hammered out my Mark Hurd but was completed under Leo in the very beginning of his reign of terror at HP....I doubt HP would even be interested in this tech anymore b/c no one at HP seems to be interested in finding ways to expand the profitability of the PC div...such as palm would have done it they would have given it more time then they did, (after all, IF they cut a deal with Amazon ASAP with Amazon, they would had a large revenue stream in place thus expanding the PC div profits), ......HP has zero infrastructure to exploit this tech but Amazon does...after all it's a huge retailer with a great deal of experience in handling credit card charges....

So sorry to be rambling today, (I know, I know I always ramble...but today it seems more than ever, LOL)...

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910