1.    #1  
    This just out from the Wall Street Journal (WSJ). Looks like they're afraid of an investor revolt:
    --
    Hewlett-Packard has hired Goldman Sachs to help the company defend itself against possible activist investors who could push for change at H-P, people familiar with the matter said.

Business News & Financial News - The Wall Street Journal - Wsj.com
    Shameful. The people running HP need to be ousted. They're running the company into the ground with their incompetent.
    isn't that letting the inmates defend the asylum?
  4.    #4  
    That is a good point.

Quotes from the article:

"As a result, Goldman was recently brought on board to help H-P formulate defenses in case it becomes the target of shareholders seeking change, the people added. Typically, companies with such a concern put in "poison pills" shareholder rights' plans that make takeovers more difficult for activist investors."
    "Analysts have said H-P's seeming lack of direction, the management-related instability, as well as the potential for restructuring its portfolio of hardware and software assets, make the company an attractive target for investor activism"
    the board doesn't want to be thrown out until they've had a chance to completely destroy the company.
    Hi all,

yeah the fox guarding the hen house...if they did their jobs they wouldn't have to worry about "activists""....they're lucky Carl Icahn is busy trying to get control of RIM so he can dismantle it and sell it off in pieces.....so he'll be too busy to try to do the same with HP...I've know Carl for almost 30 years and trust me...iof we think things are bad at HP...it will be far worse with him in the mix....

Take care,

Jay

PS Goldman...what a laugh one of the firms that caused the economic collapse that we are now living thu...guarding the stupid and the greedy at HP!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Meg retained Goldman Sachs to defend against possible take over bids. See article:

HP Aims to Prevent Takeovers as New CEO Steps Into Spotlight - Mobiledia

"Goldman is well-known for helping companies devise strategies to fend off unwanted offers, and likely will work on shareholder rights' plans for HP, which could make it difficult for "activist investors" to take over or push an agenda. Such investors often buy up shares of a company while they're less expensive, and eventually build up to a position where they can push a company's board for changes including new leadership.

Many analysts consider HP to be in a vulnerable position, which could be why the company is seeking outside help from Goldman Sachs."

If you had a few billions dollars lying around, and could pick up a controlling share in what use to be the biggest PC company in the world for HALF of its stock price, wouldn't you?
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    hey prefect way to waste more money.......GS is not cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    hey prefect way to waste more money.......GS is not cheap.
    Hi all,

Not just aren't they cheap....with the mess on Wall St...with some of the blame laying at their feet....I dob't think their very good anymore either...

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    Meg retained Goldman Sachs to defend against possible take over bids.
    Hi all,

Actually the stockholders should hire a firm to defend the stockholders from the BOD! Yeah Goldman...part of the cause of the collapse in the world economy...I know I feel so much more secure already!

Take care,

Jay
  11.    #11  
    From what other articles I have read lately in various business rags, the HP board is trying to also protect itself from a hostile takeover. One possible suitor is Oracle, but Oracle says it's not interested in anything but the enterprise server, storage and networking parts of HP. Ellison doesn't care about the rest. However, those three segments of HP are not separate units and thus are not separable from HP. So, that complicates things for Oracle. If there is going to be a hostile takeover, it will basically have to be for the entire company. However, the PSG and IPG are separate units already...

On the other hand, there are plenty of investors that are not happy with the HP Board. This, along with the hostile takeover (made more possible due to the low stock price), facilitated the HP Board to retain Goldman Sachs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    From what other articles I have read lately in various business rags, the HP board is trying to also protect itself from a hostile takeover. One possible suitor is Oracle, but Oracle says it's not interested in anything but the enterprise server, storage and networking parts of HP. Ellison doesn't care about the rest. However, those three segments of HP are not separate units and thus are not separable from HP. So, that complicates things for Oracle. If there is going to be a hostile takeover, it will basically have to be for the entire company. However, the PSG and IPG are separate units already...

On the other hand, there are plenty of investors that are not happy with the HP Board. This, along with the hostile takeover (made more possible due to the low stock price), facilitated the HP Board to retain Goldman Sachs.
    Hi all,

At least we have one pest who is now too busy trying to take over RIM so he doesn't have time for HP...that's Carl Ichan...trust me I have know him for almost 30 years...I'd rather sell my eye teeth than deal with him...

Take care,

jay