Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Got it to work. I think it had to due something with XP SP2 and the network connections. For some reason, a broadband connection setup was overriding my original internal IP address, when in fact my home network connection had the correct internal IP. Eventually, I erased the broadband, and everything worked fine again. thanks for the help
  2. dpk
    Quote Originally Posted by robertruelan
    Does anyone know of a 'secure' way to hotsync via Internet? Maybe another software that will create something like a SSL connection to the PC.

Just my .02
    I've been looking for something like this, too. Haven't found anything.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do any Hotsyncing over the Internet until I can use SSL and be more reasonably assured that someone isn't tampering with my .prcs as they go.

It doesn't appear that the default Hotsync app can handle it at all. Are there any third party Hotsyncers out there that do? Or even don't, and have source code available?
    Sorry if this is old news... After reading this thread I still don't follow how to set up wireless hotsyncing on my Sprint 600 to use a domain name that points to my dynamic IP address, instead of pinging the domain name each time my ISP decides to change the adddress. Could someone please help me out?
    I wireless sync with my e-mail, folders and calendar with sproqit.com. it is fantastic. You set it up with your home computer which is really easy and then your PDA talks directly to your computer. The info goes back and forth so if you delete e-mails from your PDA when you get home it is deleted at your home computer. Same works for Calendar. No snycing and you don't have to duplicate your effort.

It is totally worth a try.
    Has anyone used this thread's info to try settingup wireless remote hotsyncing (at least Calendar, Tasks, Memo, and Contacts) for a Treo 650 and a Win2K Server machine located at home behind a standard cable modem and DLink Router?

Are there specific differences in the setup? For one thing, the Treo650 does not have a Wireless Modem setup - only options are Standard Modem and Virtual Modem.

Just askin before I set off on a "journey" : )
    ... Go Go TREO !!! The 700wx and T755P are awesome
    Use the instructions described in this thread. They don't say to use a 'Wireless Modem' setup. Use the Lansync settings (I think it's odd that it's Lansync that works, because I'm not using a secondary and primary computer, but maybe that's how it looks to the hotsync manager when it's forwarded from the router). Perhaps the !! is what the secondary computer sends the primary computer? I'm hotsyncing successfully over the air using my Treo 650 and Cingular service through a DLink Router at home and Windows XP (I doubt the OS makes a difference). All thanks to the guys on this thread -- the tip that got me working was using the WAN subnet (mine is 255.255.255.255 -- I never would have used that otherwise!). For this with dynamic IP's -- use dyndns.org or a service that's similar (you probably can't use the name you get this way, but you can ping from the connection log as described in this thread to get your dynamic IP from the name and use that).

Thanks again, all!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyschmoe
    Use the instructions described in this thread. They don't say to use a 'Wireless Modem' setup. Use the Lansync settings (I think it's odd that it's Lansync that works, because I'm not using a secondary and primary computer, but maybe that's how it looks to the hotsync manager when it's forwarded from the router). Perhaps the !! is what the secondary computer sends the primary computer? I'm hotsyncing successfully over the air using my Treo 650 and Cingular service through a DLink Router at home and Windows XP (I doubt the OS makes a difference). All thanks to the guys on this thread -- the tip that got me working was using the WAN subnet (mine is 255.255.255.255 -- I never would have used that otherwise!). For this with dynamic IP's -- use dyndns.org or a service that's similar (you probably can't use the name you get this way, but you can ping from the connection log as described in this thread to get your dynamic IP from the name and use that).

Thanks again, all!
    Relatively speadking, how secure is this method vs. say something line VPN ? Maybe I should ask, what are the security drawbacks to this setup? Also, when you go back to syncing by cable, do you just set your LANSyncProperties back to Local Hotsync (vs. LANSync) ?
    ... Go Go TREO !!! The 700wx and T755P are awesome
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpack Treo
    I think I know the problem. When I go to "setup" in hotsync manager on my desktop, it shows the router assigned ip address, not the wan ip address. However, this is no way to change the ip address in that box, as far as I can tell. Any ideas how to change that. It automatically determines the ip address so it determines the linksys router ip address, not the wan.
    I think this is responsible for my inability to connect; anyone figured this one out yet?

I have a DSL modem and it has a WAN address that is different from the internal LAN IP address (WAN is what shows up at whatismyip.com, LAN in ipconfig). I can see both of them in my modem configuration.
    Quote Originally Posted by bsgolob
    I think this is responsible for my inability to connect; anyone figured this one out yet?

I have a DSL modem and it has a WAN address that is different from the internal LAN IP address (WAN is what shows up at whatismyip.com, LAN in ipconfig). I can see both of them in my modem configuration.
    You have to use the wan address, and don't forget to remove the pc name
    Ciao

Ettore
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    You have to use the wan address, and don't forget to remove the pc name
    Thanks; I want to use the WAN address, but my problem is that I don't know how to change it in Hotsync Manager. I've put it in on the treo, but I think it's HM on the PC that's the problem.
    Okay i need a little help here. I am running a windows 2000 server with ICS 2 nic's one has WAN ip the other is LAN ip.

Using this, what are the EXACT steps I need to take to make this work? I've tried just about everything i can think of but am still unable to get this to work.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchema
    To set up your TREO to sync without cables or cradles read below.
    If you have a broadband/always on connection to the internet you will find remote hotsync a life saver. many times i have had to hard reset (press power and click the reset button on back of my treo, upon reboot let go of power, then choose to ERASE ALL MY DATA) just to recover from a phone crippling crash. i regained phone capabilities but lost all software,data, and phone logs. Thanks to Backup Buddy by Blue Nomad ( BACKUP BUDDY ) running on my PC, i logged on to the sprint pcs data network i was able to get all my information back with a network sync.

ON YOUR COMPUTER (assumes a PC):

1. Make sure HOYSYNC MANAGER is set to run when your computer starts up.

a) to do this click on hotsync manager icon near time
    b) choose setup
    c) go to the tab marked GENERAL
    d) make sure a check mark appears before the words
    ' ALWAYS AVAILABLE (PUT IN STARTUP FOLDER)

2. Make sure HOYSYNC MANAGER is set to accept TCP/IP Network request to sync.

b) make sure a check mark appears before the word network

3. Make sure HOYSYNC MANAGER is setup on your network.

b) choose setup
    c) go to the tab marked NETWORK
    d) make sure a check mark appears before the user who
    wants to sync over the internet.
    e) click on the button marked 'TCP/IP SETTINGS...'
    f) To speed syncing enter your computers subnet mask if
    known. ( TIP! running the command 'ipconfig /all' in DOS
    shows the subnet mask)

ON YOUR TREO 300:

I. Set up HOTSYNC for Network Mode!
    A) If not in Hotsync app click on the hotsync icon
    B) press the settings button (the one with the blue home on it)
    C) under HOTSYNC Options click on MODEM SYNC PREFS
    you can also just press O
    D) choose NETWORK
    E) press OK

II. Set up HOTSYNC for Lansync!
    C) under HOTSYNC Options click on LANSYNC PREFS
    you can also just press L
    D) choose LANSYNC
    E) press OK

III. Set up HOTSYNC to connect to you PC
    B) Press the settings button (the one with the blue home on it)
    C) Under HOTSYNC Options click on PRIMARY PC SETUP
    you can also just press P
    D) Under PRIMARY PC NAME:
    1) enter "!!"
    E) Under PRIMARY PC ADDRESS:
    1) enter your PC's IP address
    TIP! on windows 9x,ME,XP,2000 to get your address press
    START->then press->under OPEN: type COMMAND->
    and press OK. In the DOS box that opens type
    IPCONFIG. Your IP address is shown. type EXIT to get
    out of dos.
    F) Under SUBNET MASK (OPTIONAL) :
    1) enter your PC's Subnet Mask address
    TIP! on windows 9x,ME,XP,2000 to get your address press
    START->then press->under OPEN: type COMMAND->
    and press OK. In the DOS box that opens type
    IPCONFIG /ALL. Your Subnet Mask is shown.
    type EXIT to get out of dos.

IV. Set up HOTSYNC for what you want to sync!
    C) under HOTSYNC Options click on CONDUIT SETUP
    you can also just press D
    D) By default all your applications are checked
    E) You may wish to speed up syncing by unchecking apps you
    dont want synced.

V. Set up HOTSYNC for the TREOs WIRELESS MODEM
    C) under HOTSYNC Options click on CONNECTION SETUP
    you can also just press S
    D) By default WIRELESS MODEM is highlighted.
    If not click on WIRELESS MODEM.
    E) press DONE

VI. Set up HOTSYNC for the SPRINT PCS VISION network
    B) select MODEM instead of local.
    C) under the icon of the phone and hotsync click on the
    dashed box. probably labeled select service.
    D) You are taken to the network preferences screen.
    E) Be sure the Service is listed as SPRINT-visionname01
    ( where visionname01 is probably your PCS VISION username)
    F) Choose done

VII. SYNC YOUR HANDHELD WHILE YOUR IN FRONT OF YOUR PC
    A)If not in Hotsync app click on the hotsync icon
    B)Press the phone and hotsync logo to begin the sync.
    C) you will see the words "connecting with the desktop"
    D) you will see the works "identifying user..."
    E) On your desktop you may be prompted to select a User
    Name for this sync. Choose your username.

If it works twice. Be confident it will work when you need it. Just have to keep your PC on!

*ROUTER OWNERS OR REMOTE SYNCERS USING NAT OR
    FIREWALL:
    - Be sure to configure your firewall to open up TCP ports 14237 and UDP ports 14238. If you cant specify just choose 14237 and 14238.
    - Be sure that all traffic to those ports goes to the ip of the LAN PC that is running HOT SYNC MANAGER.
    - Remember the IP address in step III part E has to be a WAN address not a private or internal LAN IP address, like 192.168.0.99
    - After a successful sync the ip address listed in PRIMARY PC SETUP may be replaced by the one in hotsync manager. meaning if your hotsync manager is on an internal ip like 192.168.0.99 then your TREOs PRIMARY PC IP will be 192.168.0.99 and therefore need to be changed to a WAN address. I believe by making your PRIMARY PC NAME !! this won't happen.

* OFFICE USERS
    REMEMBER TO CHECK WITH YOUR IT GALS/GUYS and/or SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR.

*SECURITY MINDED USERS
    Network Syncing is not the most secure thing in the world. Read Security information on it at bugtraq or your favorite security watering hole.

HAPPY SYNCING!!!

- shimatani hiro

Geminii Group -white cell-

keywords: wireless hotsync , network hotsync , remote sync, remote access , DataMgr.c, Line: 9573 , Index out of range , backup , backup buddy , geminii
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    You don't need to buy a ping app: ping is an embedded command in Treo 600, you can use the command from the connection log window.
    Pardon the ignorance but where is the connection log window ?
    I have followed all the steps, and it didn't work. Just to see if it was a port issue, I set my internal IP as the DMZ, so all ports get forwarded, and it works fine. This means something isn't getting forwarded that should, even though I set the ports to go to the right IP address. I don't have the option to specify UDP or TCP, so I assumed they both got forwarded. Anyone have this issue and solved it? If so, please let me know.

Thanks!

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinbrewer
    Pardon the ignorance but where is the connection log window ?
    System, preferences, network preferences, menu, options, registry
    Ciao

Ettore
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I'm behind a Linksys Router. I've forwarded Ports (14237 TCP and 14238 UDP) to my Hotsync PC. I'm on a DSL connection with a static IP address. Block Anonymous Internet Requests WAS enabled, but I disabled it.

THe Hotsync PC has "Network" checked in the Popup list. The check mark is next to my hotsync name on the "Network" tab.

In my Treo 650 the settings are as follows.

Modem Prefs = Network
    Lansync Prefs = LANSync
    Primary PC Prefs:
    PC Name = Blank, is it needed? WHat should I put? The PC name or my Routers name?
    Primary PC Address = the WAN (static) IP address.
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0 (this is the same on both the router, PC and Treo).
    On the main HS screen:
    Local or Modem = MODEM
    Under the HS icon, National Access (that's what VZW calls it's internet connection).

But with all this, when I try and hotsync, the Treo just tells me it couldn't establish a connection.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thx.
    Don

Handspring Visor => Handspring Visor Deluxe => Sony Clie T615c => Treo 650 on Verizon => Treo 700p on Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by doni49
    I'm behind a Linksys Router. I've forwarded Ports (14237 TCP and 14238 UDP) to my Hotsync PC. I'm on a DSL connection with a static IP address. Block Anonymous Internet Requests WAS enabled, but I disabled it.

THe Hotsync PC has "Network" checked in the Popup list. The check mark is next to my hotsync name on the "Network" tab.

In my Treo 650 the settings are as follows.

Modem Prefs = Network
    Lansync Prefs = LANSync

Primary PC Prefs:
    PC Name = Blank, is it needed? WHat should I put? The PC name or my Routers name?

Primary PC Address = the WAN (static) IP address.
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0 (this is the same on both the router, PC and Treo).
    On the main HS screen:
    Local or Modem = MODEM

Under the HS icon, National Access (that's what VZW calls it's internet connection).

But with all this, when I try and hotsync, the Treo just tells me it couldn't establish a connection.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thx.
    Everything seems ok, no pc name is needed. After the hotsync you'll find your pc name there and you have to remove it for the next hotsync (as per the LAN IP address you'll find in the Primary pc address field.)

Have you tried with a direct connection to the internet from the pc without the router ?
    Ciao

Ettore
    Is there an app that will allow me to sync my Tréo 600 over the internet. I used to able to when I had a landline. I just want to keep my apps current when I'm on the road.
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    The standard hotsynch app allows for network synch. Now, getting that to work from the internet is a different question and depends largely on your home network setup. Cable modem/DSL? Firewall? SOHO router? Dynamic IP address? Security requirements? You get the idea....lots of details. But the short answer is still yes, it is possible.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    When you say, "1) enter your PC's IP address", which IP address do I use? I have 4 different IP address:

1. Ethernet Adapter
    2. Ethernet Adapter Network Bridge
    3. Ethernet adapter Network Connect Adapter
    4. Ethernet adapter wireless network connection

would appreciated if you tell me which IP to use out of the 4 above.

thanks..
    oops, got the answer from the original post. never mind.. thanks..
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast