Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I agree that there is really only one piece left to the puzzle, for me.

After a hard reset, I can get everything working, up to the point of "Identifying User". My hotsync manager on my PC pops up and asks me to identify the user. The popup times out in 60 seconds, but Treo gives up first.

Now, one thing I can think of is that I've got multiple user directories and maybe removing them will clear up the problem. I don't know for sure. There's only one user name presented to choose from, although "New" is an option, so I'm not sure that having only one directory will help.

Also, after a full hotsync completes, I don't get asked for a username on the PC. So is there a way to fill in that detail on the Treo?

I had to do a hard reset on vacation. Is there any way to do a full wireless recovery? I don't mind installing a tool in flash, but I don't think I can start a hotsync, switch to VNC to pick a user name, and then pick up the hotsync where I interrupted it.

Maybe flash a special app that sets the username (don't know where it is stored; it doesn't show up on any prefs menu, and I don't see any place to set the hotsync I'd in the hotsync app) would do the trick?

I have wireless hotsync 3.0 and the latest desktop app running on a Win2K Professional laptop.

Thanks. Being able to sync most of the time is a big help. I'd be very happy to complete the solution.

Scott Mark
    Thank you!!!! This works great... struggled to find the answer and here it is on this board...

Blake
    Originally posted by scottmark
    After a hard reset, I can get everything working, up to the point of "Identifying User". My hotsync manager on my PC pops up and asks me to identify the user. The popup times out in 60 seconds, but Treo gives up first.
    Scott Mark
    I had the same problem... my solution, though crude:

I remembered an app I used to have when I was on dialup called DUNCE. It has the option of identifying a window by a title you specify and automatically pressing a button for you (such as the OK button) it runs in the system tray and doesn't seem to eat too much memory, but if you like to try to minimize your TSR's, you can always simply start it up before you go on vacation and shut it down when you are back.

I don't think it is supported anymore, and it will give you a message about the program being out of date when you first run it, but it should do the trick...
    I have been trying to get Network HotSync to work with my Tungsten C Wifi handheld using instructions in this thread, but I've been unsuccessful.

I know most of this discussion has centered around the Treo device, but I think the setup is similar. I have a Linksys Wireless Router with 4-Port switch (Model #BEFW11S4) on a RoadRunner cable modem. The Tungsten C is WIFI capable and I can successfully browse the internet and check my email. The only problem is I can't do a network hotsync.

I've configured my router with ports 14237-14238 (TCP) and 14237-14238 (UDP) open. They are both forwarding to my router's internal network IP (I cannot configure it to go to my public static IP if that's the problem).

I've spent countless hours getting this to work. My Tungsten C attempts to connect to the desktop but fails after about 30 seconds. The hotsync manager does not activate at all when I run network hotsync on the device. I can do a cradle hotsync with no problem, and yes, I made sure that "Network" is checked in the hotsync menu.

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this as this feature is very important to me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Paul
    You shouldn't need to port forward any ports, as port forwarding is done to route traffic from the public network to the internal network. As you are already on the internal network, all you have to do is enter the "internal" IP of your machine that you want to hotsync with. I am guessing that you are entering the public IP.

The above instructions would work for synching from another network outside of your house, say a Starbucks
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    could someone walk me throught the setup portion for the Linksys router ? I have been working on this with no success.

Thanks.
    AppleMan, thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, that didn't work either. Do you think there's anything that I have to configure on the router to get this thing to network hotsync? It always fails and never brings up the hotsync screen on the desktop. All help would be appreciated.
    I finally was able to fix the problem! As I mentioned before, I could get WIFI Web access on my Tungsten C but was not able to do a network hotsync.

Turns out the problem was I was running Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall which was silently denying any requests from my Tungsten C. After disabling the firewall (not necessary since I already have a router), I can run a network hotsync perfectly.

Hope this helps anyone else that may be having the same problem!

-Paul
    I think this is a great feature! BUT, I know this was mentioned in the first few posts, does anyone besides me find this highly unsecure? I know I wouldn't want my personal information that I keep on my Treo going over the web, unencrypted.

Does anyone know of a 'secure' way to hotsync via Internet? Maybe another software that will create something like a SSL connection to the PC.

Just my .02
    Actually, I was not trying to hotsync over the Internet. I was just trying to do a network hotsync on my computer at home via my WIFI router. Palm and LinkSys support were useless and it just turned out to be an XP problem.

This network hotsync sounds intriguing though. I might have to look into it once we get WIFI set up here at the office.

-Paul
    While I am not trying to play down security, I do think it's necessary but.....what are the chances of someone capturing this? There are bajillions of data packets traversing the internet. Somone would have to capture and identify the type of data, and then put it back together approriately. Then after this, what are they going to do, make prank calls to the people in your phone book? Any secure data(credit cards, bank info) should be stored encrypted in a secure app/database program anyway.

What exactly are your concerns, maybe I am not seeing your side of it.

I can see the potential for harm, but not a lot. Maybe if someone you know got some info that you wouldn't want them to see.

Originally posted by robertruelan
    I think this is a great feature! BUT, I know this was mentioned in the first few posts, does anyone besides me find this highly unsecure? I know I wouldn't want my personal information that I keep on my Treo going over the web, unencrypted.

Does anyone know of a 'secure' way to hotsync via Internet? Maybe another software that will create something like a SSL connection to the PC.

Just my .02
    Please forgive my ignorance in advance--I'm a novice compared to you all--but I can't get this to work. I've followed the instructions to the letter, but HotSync on my Treo times out, and nothing launches on my PC.

Two possible problems: 1) I have a Treo 270. I don't think this is a problem, though, because I was able to configure everything exactly as on the 300. 2) I have a router. I'm using the IP address of my computer, but I get the impression that I'm supposed to be using the netork's or the router's IP instead. I don't know what this means, or where to find them.

Many thanks for your help!
    You will need the IP address that you connect to the net with... launch your router's config page (probably 192.168.1.1 in a browser) and find your WAN address.
    Thanks, but I pulled the IP address and subnet mask off of my router config page and still no dice....All I get is that timeout. I'm assigned an address dynamically, but as I'm logged on for weeks or months at a time it shouldn't be the end of the world, unless there are other techincal issues I'm unaware of....
    Hmmm.. that is a mystery... can you ping your ip adddress from another computer?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I have a similar situation and have never been able to get this to work.
    I *can't* ping my IP address from another PC! I hope I'm not doing anything profundly stupid, but, as per the other posts, I went to my router at 192.168.1.1. The only IP address I could find--other than the internal stuff--was the one I set my Treo for and am trying to ping, which is listed under "Internet" under subheads "IP Address" and "Subnet Mask". I believe this is what I'm looking for....Thanks for all your help!
    The IP address is your WAN IP address. Go to your router setup page and look for a status tab. On that page you will find your WAN IP address. This is the address you need to have the Treo link to.

I use this method to network sync my PDA often. It works!!!! Be patient we'll find a way to get you up and running.
    Well, a tiny bit of progress. In order to find out where my WAN IP address is, I read my entire router manual. There was no mention of a WAN IP address, and I've searched high and low at 192.168.1.1, so I think Linksys must call it my "Internet Address" (as above.)

What I did find was a setting called "Block WAN Access", which was set to "Enable" by default. According to the manual, this prevents the router from being pinged. So, I set it to "Disable", and, when I did, I was immediatly able to ping the Internet IP address from another PC.

Bad news is that I'm still getting a timeout when I try to HotSync, even with the Block WAN Access Disabled....

Can't tell you how much I apprecaite your help!

Thanks,
    Erik
    what router do you have?

what is the ip of the pc that you do hotsyncing to?

you have to port forward 14237 to 14238 to the pc that does the hotsyncing.

You have to enable network hotsync on your desk top.

Then you have to setup the palm device to point to the IP yout ISP gives you.

Your router should tell you yout IP, but if not try this . This shold show you your IP and a couple of other things.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast