Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by Appleman
    [QUOTE] Are you trying to start an argument?[/qoute]

no im not trying to start an argumunt, are you?

I just want this fixed and yes I brought up hard reseting because Kayden's brought it up here

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=30478

which i though was very relative to this thread

by the way network hotsync version 3.0 you can download from palms website and it comes standard on treo 300 same version

not sure if they have any newer versions of it on the newer palm os's
    Last edited by backwerd; 12/17/2002 at 02:55 PM.
    Nope, not at all. I just found what you said insulting, as I interpreted this statement :

"this thread was answered after the first post. and we have moved on to better things to tacle"

As a way of saying that my contribution to help kayden75 was not important, and that you have more important issues to discuss. Like hard resets. I wasn't reading that thread at all so I had no idea that kayden75 brought up the hard reset issue there.
    PNRP starts by sending a request packet to the IP address configured in your HotSync setup. If that fails, it uses directed subnet broadcasts to the target subnet. Next, it attempts to use DNS to find the address. If DNS fails, it sends directed subnet broadcasts using a few common subnet masks. In the lab, I successfully located the primary PC and synchronized from multiple locations using both fixed and dynamic addressing.

http://www.networkcomputing.com/912/912sp4.html

i just found this so i tried something different

i put my domain name into the host field and left the ip address field empty same with the subnet mask

and it worked!!!

this rules

hope this helps

note:

it seems while syncing it sets your primary pc settings on the palm to match that of which your are syncing to so if you need to sync again and your ip has changed you have to go in to your primary pc setings in the palm and change it back to just your domain name in the host field.

I could almost hit myself in the head for this one

like one of those daahhh thangs
    Last edited by backwerd; 12/17/2002 at 03:52 PM.
    Awesome find, good work!

When you go to do a local hotsync now, does the Hotsync manager complain and ask if you want to do a local hotsync?

That's what mine is doing.
    Awesome find, good work!

When you go to do a local hotsync now, does the Hotsync manager complain and ask if you want to do a local hotsync?

That's what mine is doing.
    thx

yeah it does unless you uncheck network from the list when you right click on the hotsync tray icon or "Just say no" while it is local syncing

the good thing is that this popup doesnt happen when you do a network sync i just wish it would default to no instead of changing it automatatically. oh well not a big deal.
    i have gone thru the how-to several times and can't seem to get past the "connecting" phase. My connection just times out. I do have a firewall and I opened the required ports. I also use PalmVNC and that works beautifully. Is there something that I should be checking? eveything else has been checked and re-checked but I can use some insight into this.
    Originally posted by starrwulfe
    i have gone thru the how-to several times and can't seem to get past the "connecting" phase. My connection just times out. I do have a firewall and I opened the required ports. I also use PalmVNC and that works beautifully. Is there something that I should be checking? eveything else has been checked and re-checked but I can use some insight into this.

make sure that when you set the ip on your palm that you set it to the routers public ip not your local pc private ip by way of ipconfig.

if your using a domain name set your domain name to your routers public ip and and on palm enter domain name in host field and leave all others blank.

if this dont work your not i would say your not doing something correct on your port forwarding.
    does hotsync open on your desktop?

i had to forward TCP 14237-14238 and UDP 14237-14238 in order to get it to work behind the firewall.
    Awesome find, good work!

Same for me - good work - this is exactly what I was looking for!

only one thing though... as mentioned in backwerd's note it seems to always write the pc name, ip address & subnet to the primary pc settings automatically after the sync.

would love to find a way to force it to keep the host name instead of the 3 values it obtains on sync.
    Originally posted by kayden75

Same for me - good work - this is exactly what I was looking for!

only one thing though... as mentioned in backwerd's note it seems to always write the pc name, ip address & subnet to the primary pc settings automatically after the sync.

would love to find a way to force it to keep the host name instead of the 3 values it obtains on sync.

thats is by design

would require a hack
    This is weird, because mine isn't doing that now. When I had wireless sync working a month ago, it would do this. But now that I have my domain name in there, it is not. The first 2 syncs, the hotsync manager complained about doing a local hotsync, but after I found that my LANSync prefs were set to LANSync not Local Hotsync it got rid of those error messages.

I have done 5 or so Local Hostsyncs and my Primary PC name and IP is still my domain name and public IP.
    i had to forward TCP 14237-14238 and UDP 14237-14238 in order to get it to work behind the firewall.
    Thanx for the new angle! Now I've set both ports 14237 & 14238 to do both UDP & TCP and it works. I had to enter in a second line for each port to do UDP... Looks like the firewall in my router is very strict! So far so good. I also use the ip tracker from www.no-ip.com and put my domain name in the hosts box. I absolutely love this board, you guys know everything!! Now when I leave a file at home I can use PalmVNC to put the document in DocsToGo and then do a wireless hotsync! then when I'm done just re-hotsync and I get to it when I get home! another killer app! And all they thought I brought was a big phone...
    Last edited by starrwulfe; 12/19/2002 at 01:23 AM.

Thanx for the new angle! Now I've set both ports 14237 & 14238 to do both UDP & TCP and it works. I had to enter in a second line for each port to do UDP... Looks like the firewall in my router is very strict! So far so good. I also use the ip tracker from www.no-ip.com and put my domain name in the hosts box. I absolutely love this board, you guys know everything!! Now when I leave a file at home I can use PalmVNC to put the document in DocsToGo and then do a wireless hotsync! then when I'm done just re-hotsync and I get to it when I get home! another killer app! And all they thought I brought was a big phone...

thats awsome
    and they thought wrong

its great not having to carry around all three pager/phone/pda/laptop now i can do all with one little device.
    Not the other way around as the original poster said. I wasted hours and couldn't get it to work. Then I just switched TCP and UDP ports and I'm now happily syncing over the internet. Painfully slow, but still I'm impressed.
    Outstanding!! I had to go into my routers set-up and establish my PC's local IP address as being in the DMZ. Then I used the Virtual Server set-up screen to pass the afforementioned ports. Then Bingo!! I am untethered from my PC for good.
    OK . . . . well I have been reading this thread very slowly and trying to understand it all!!! Anyway, I seem to be all set up and 'good to go' (using O2 GPRS here in the UK) BUT I am getting stuck at a fundemental question (I have looked through this thread and cant see the answer so apologies if I have missed it).

We have 3 pcs here in the office . . one connected to the broadband and the other two via Internet Connection Sharing.

Question - since my pc is not the one with the ADSL modem . . do I use my own machines LAN IP address (surely not?) or do I use the IP for the 'connected' machine? Or maybe the answer is just 'no - it wont work on ICS'.

Would love to get this working . . .
    That's your problem, you are using ICS. Get a real router

You would use the public IP(interface connected to the modem) of the "connected" modem. But you would also have to configure the machine running ICS to forward the ports (14237 and 14238) to the internal IP address of your machine, the one running the Hotsync manager. This I don't know how to do on ICS or if it's even possible.
    I just love this forum. Thanks for sharing your tips, mitchema.

I just want to point out the following:

When I setup port forwarding for my linksys router. I had to make sure the option "Block WAN request" is disabled.

I had no problem getting PalmVNC to work when that option is enabled. Is this just occurring to me?
    joe
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Another thanks to mitchema for posting the instructions!!! This should definitely be a sticky or in a FAQ.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast