Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Having read through all the Kindle Fire news today released by Amazon, I get a sense of a company that has a strategy and fortitude to execute a plan as well the resources to do it. Amazon has the cloud services and content to make the Kindle Fire a success. They are also smart enough to price point the device below the iPad realizing it is foolish to compete head on with Apple. Imagine if Palm has instead sold itself to Amazon instead of HP and the Kindle Fire was instead a webos based device instead of Andriod? Webos fits perfectly with the cloud based services of Amazon and the content Amazon provides could have greatly improved upon the dearth of apps for webos. Just wishful thinking but makes me sad how horrible a decision it was for Palm to sell itself to HP...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/28/2011 at 01:10 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    they also use far cheaper materials and components, and their software is nowhere near calibur of webos..

amazon hasn't proven anything, really. call me when they release a real product
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I doubt Amazon was going to buy webOS. Android is free and they got great apps selection. Let's say Amazon announced Kindle Fire with webOS. Amazon got everything except the apps. They still have to fight for lack of app debate. Why should they have to deal with that? Android is free, and got apps. All Amazon has to do was provide all other services which they already have.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Why would Amazon buy webos when they can fork Android for free?
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Having read through all the Kindle Fire news today released by Amazon, I get a sense of a company that has a strategy and fortitude to execute a plan as well the resources to do it. Amazon has the cloud services and content to make the Kindle Fire a success. They are also smart enough to price point the device below the iPad realizing it is foolish to compete head on with Apple. Imagine if Palm has instead sold itself to Amazon instead of HP and the Kindle Fire was instead a webos based device instead of Andriod? Webos fits perfectly with the cloud based services of Amazon and the content Amazon provides could have greatly improved upon the dearth of apps for webos. Just wishful thinking but makes me sad how horrible a decision it was for Palm to sell itself to HP...
    hindsight is ??

I wish Amazon could have done that later too. After the HP's announcement. But it was too late in the game.
    However it is still possible for them to license it. The Google landscape is changing rapidly. Samsung now is buddies with Microsoft on the patents. Which leaves Google stuck with Moto. Make no mistake , without Samsung and HTC android would have gone nowhere. So there is a slim possibility that Android will stagnate in 2012. If only HP can keep the webOS software alive that long , it is entirely possible for someone to license it.
  6.    #6  
    Licensing webos could be interesting but there has to be an underlying reason for doing so. As other posters above have mentioned, the argument is why pay for an OS when Andriod is free? Well for one, it really is NOT free as OEM's like Samsung, HTC are finding out in the various patent disputes. For example Samsung just announced they signed a patent licensing deal with Microsoft today supposedly to cover activesync patents etc. Also with Google buying Motorola there are distinct camps now with MS+Nokia, Moto-Google, iOS-Apple etc. Samsung and HTC are both hedging their bets with Windows Phone and Andriod but the Moto acquisition by Google will change things. That leave RIM with Qnx but who knows if they will survive...

The advantage of Webos is that it is none of the above and also that it has a lot of cool technologies especially in the underpinnings of it architecture that allow it to meld nicely with cloud technologies and html5 standards etc. Of course everyone knows about multitasking, cards, synergy, exihibition etc. The problem is that there are not enough apps and the hardware HP released was not competitive at that price point.

What kind of company would be interested in leveraging webos? Smartphone OEMs like HTC or Samsung would only consider webos if they were really fearful of andriod or didn't trust Microsoft. But Samsung already stated they would never buy webos and they already have investments in Bada and just announced they will support Tizen with Intel (merged meego). HTC might license webos but they have no history in developing platforms although their Sense-UI stuff is interesting.

The players that could really be interested in webos imo are those who do not want to be beholden to google or Microsoft and are not in it for the smartphone market primarily. How do these companies make money? Apple is self contained world of course with iOS. Google still makes most of its money with ads, thus why it gives android away for free. MS gets licensing fees. The ODM's sell hardware but have to differentiate with interfaces liek motoblur or HTC sense to overcome commoditization. But if you're a company like Amazon or Facebook, you make money selling your content or if the latter selling ads in your walled part of the internet.

I think Amazon's main purpose is to sell their content by leveraging their cloud technologies. They sell andriod apps via their own store, but they main aim if for users to buy their digital content. Webos could have been a better platform for doing that. For facebook if they ever get into the tablet or smartphone space, why would they want to make google more money? A facebook webos would allow them a control a platform so they could maximize and control their own content and data for advertizing purposes...

idk...just thinking out loud....

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    When you are Amazon or Facebook, you have enough eyeballs to fork Android. And when they fork Android --- they cut Google out of the loop so that they ain't paying Google a cent.
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think people have to come back to reality - nobody (as in large volumes of people) was interested in WebOS before and after today, nobody is going to license it - Its dead. Ipad has the top end of the market and amazon is going to capture the bottom and a significant chunk of the middle. WebOS had it's moment in 2009 and 2010 but it simply didn't not have the management to make it a player.

A facebook webos would allow them a control a platform so they could maximize and control their own content and data for advertizing purposes...
    They already do, it's called... facebook. Seriously, it makes no sense at all for face-book to get involved in channel conflict.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    When you are Amazon or Facebook, you have enough eyeballs to fork Android. And when they fork Android --- they cut Google out of the loop so that they ain't paying Google a cent.

Right - if facebook did want to go down this road, they could simply folk Android like Amazon did.
  10.    #10  
    here's an alternating vision of why facebook might want to buy a platform...

Time For Facebook To Buy WebOS From HP For A Couple Bucks

Facebook is the best buyer for webOS (analyst) | ZDNet

If Amazon would have bought webos - it would not have been good for us.

They don't have an interest in the smartphone market.
    And they would have reskinned webos. Their interests for the Kindle are very specific to Amazons needs. It's primarily an eBook and a shopfront. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Which is of course why they didn't buy it. It's not a fit.
    Android or Meego were probably their options. They just needed a functional base so they don't have to start from scratch. Neither costs them money (unless they fall for the MS tax).

And Facebook is also not a good (or likely) buyer.

Samsung was the most likely fit. Next is HTC. Dell is a possibility. Perhaps Lenovo if they want to expand into new markets. But if HTC is not swallowing it soon I the the chances for a webos future going to 0 very soon.

One thing I'm very sure of: HPs licencing plan is not going to work. It will either be sold soon - or at best we'll see a sad cut-down version as a printer interface.
    Last edited by tholap; 09/29/2011 at 02:04 AM.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Right - if facebook did want to go down this road, they could simply folk Android like Amazon did.
    How confident are you about patent issues with Android ? Me thinks Android is going to stagnate in couple of years. Microsoft wants money from every hardware manufacturer on the activesync , which is a must for email syncing. Apple will definitely fight on multitouch and UI. If you are facebook or Amazon , you don't want to be dragged in the patent issues.
    I disagree. Amazon as a company is well run, their kindle products are great and marketed really well. But if they bought Palm, while we may have seen a tablet, there wouldn't have been any phones, which is what many of us are really interested in. And they might have just released a heavily skinned and limited webOS kindle (just like they did with android for Fire) and who knows if the dev support for homebrew would still have existed.

Remember, back when HP bought Palm, ppl here were heralding it and thought at the time they were the perfect suitor.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

The advantage of Webos is that it is none of the above and also that it has a lot of cool technologies especially in the underpinnings of it architecture that allow it to meld nicely with cloud technologies and html5 standards etc. Of course everyone knows about multitasking, cards, synergy, exihibition etc. The problem is that there are not enough apps and the hardware HP released was not competitive at that price point.
    I highly doubt its hardware, its bad software, bad quality assurance that are responsible for webOS not selling well. I wonder why everyone beats on the hardware ? They have decent hardware on Touchpad and Pre3. The touchpad without overclocking is a joke.

I think Amazon's main purpose is to sell their content by leveraging their cloud technologies. They sell andriod apps via their own store, but they main aim if for users to buy their digital content. Webos could have been a better platform for doing that. For facebook if they ever get into the tablet or smartphone space, why would they want to make google more money? A facebook webos would allow them a control a platform so they could maximize and control their own content and data for advertizing purposes...

idk...just thinking out loud....
    Totally agree.

Facebook and Amazon are best suited to license it. The pure elegance of the OS is alone for them to use it. They can use the Just Type feature for their own search, sort of search amazon orders or facebook friends.

I am hoping that HP gets money licensing webOS.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I disagree. Amazon as a company is well run, their kindle products are great and marketed really well. But if they bought Palm, while we may have seen a tablet, there wouldn't have been any phones, which is what many of us are really interested in. And they might have just released a heavily skinned and limited webOS kindle (just like they did with android for Fire) and who knows if the dev support for homebrew would still have existed.

Remember, back when HP bought Palm, ppl here were heralding it and thought at the time they were the perfect suitor.
    I highly doubt there is a market for webOS phones outside of this forum members .
    Tablets are more mainstream devices than a phone.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    only other company i vaguely recall that was interested was RIM. but i think hp offered palm more money
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    How confident are you about patent issues with Android ? Me thinks Android is going to stagnate in couple of years. Microsoft wants money from every hardware manufacturer on the activesync , which is a must for email syncing. Apple will definitely fight on multitouch and UI. If you are facebook or Amazon , you don't want to be dragged in the patent issues.
    Doesn't the Amazon fire effectively answer that question? isn't the answer "Amazon is pretty confident"?

I don't understand how "maybe Amazon will license WebOS" is still on the tablet, they took amazon and folked it, they built cloud apps around that folk, they built an app store to supply that folk with apps, they built a custom GUI for their folk to serve their interest. Why does a general purpose GUI make more sense than their custom interface?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Doesn't the Amazon fire effectively answer that question? isn't the answer "Amazon is pretty confident"?

I don't understand how "maybe Amazon will license WebOS" is still on the tablet, they took amazon and folked it, they built cloud apps around that folk, they built an app store to supply that folk with apps, they built a custom GUI for their folk to serve their interest. Why does a general purpose GUI make more sense than their custom interface?
    Just in case it is not clear to others, a correction is in order:

"They took amazon and folked it"

Should read...

They took android and forked it

folk = fork everywhere else
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Well, obviously at the time HP looked like a pretty good deal, a hardware manufacturer vs a online retailer. Hindsight is 20/20.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Just in case it is not clear to others, a correction is in order:

"They took amazon and folked it"

Should read...

They took android and forked it

folk = fork everywhere else

Damn - I don't know why I keep doing that!

Forked it not folked it, forked it, not folked it, folked it not forked it.. damn...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast