Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think people have to come back to reality - nobody (as in large volumes of people) was interested in WebOS before and after today, nobody is going to license it - Its dead. Ipad has the top end of the market and amazon is going to capture the bottom and a significant chunk of the middle. WebOS had it's moment in 2009 and 2010 but it simply didn't not have the management to make it a player.

They already do, it's called... facebook. Seriously, it makes no sense at all for face-book to get involved in channel conflict.
    I wanna to buy your Touchpad. I pay $ 99.00 for...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I wanna to buy your Touchpad. I pay $ 99.00 for...

Best Regards...
    Forget it - it's waiting for it's ice-cream (sandwich)....
    slbailey1 likes this.
  3.    #23  
    holy sh!t I guess I wasn't the only one thinking this might happen!!

Amazon has Palm in its shopping cart — will it click Buy? (exclusive) | VentureBeat

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Garg, my post got totally mangled! I can't even remember what I said now.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/29/2011 at 11:15 PM.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    holy sh!t I guess I wasn't the only one thinking this might happen!!

Amazon has Palm in its shopping cart will it click Buy? (exclusive) | VentureBeat
    I wish. And thanks again.
    personally i think HP should have started out licensing webos and making no hardware but tablets (since they already make them). Granted i'd also have advised them to not release any hardware that didn't match apple spec for spec.

I think licensing from the beginning was the better idea because i think you satisfy more people if webos had been on 10 or 12 phones a year rather then 1 or 2 had the pre 3 launched. Many form factors meansmore options for consumers, and likely more consumers means more reasons for developers and companies to develop apps, thus more apps. Like me? I want a keyboardless slab. I hate vertical sliders. I only got the pre cause of webos. But now i just won't buy a vertical slider phone or a phone with slow app growth. So the decision to switch was pretty much made in 2010 for me. Had all that licensing come to fruition i think i'd have still considered staying were there still webos line because the knockon effect would be many form factors coming and many apps knocking out two of my biggest issues (though not my only ones).

My first choice to buy it would have been Microsoft. because licensing and making software is 100% what they do. They rarely delve into hardware. And usually not successfully so they'd have licensed it and had plenty of cash to buy off companies to make apps. And recent hardware failures like the Zune would ensure they don't easily just decide to leap back into hardware. plus you'd have a Office suite.

After that if they sold it, i always thought Samsung was the a great choice. Mostly because they are huge, pump out lots of products a year, and make their own components specifically screens, cpus, a memory, some of the most expensive components. Lots of products means more form factors again a plus for some that's never really like the pre form factor. My one concern was Samsung, well aside from them having their own OS already, is that as far as i know isn't really a software company so i wondered if they could adequately develop webos. Sort of illogical since i just brought up that they have an o.s. but most of their other products seem to be hardware. But what they did with the 10.1 impressed me. going back, retooling a tablet and getting it to market in like three months. That's what hp needed to do. And the fact that they pump out tons of devices every year. not just one or two maybe like palm and hp did.

As for amazon, facebook, yahoo, and some others mentioned. I just have never been that keen on companies that are not already in mobile and especially companies like facebook that don't make hardware of any kind. I know amazon makes a kindle (no clue who actually manufactures it) but even the fire to me doesn't measure up to all the versatility of an ipad 2. I'm sure they'll be direct competitors to some consumers but to me one is more of an ereader on roids, the other is an all around media device. And regarding amazon who knows if they'd ever make a phone. They haven't before. I could see them making only tablets with webos and you'd still have ****ed off sprint users and tons of people waiting for an iphone alternative mad.

my two cents.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/30/2011 at 04:45 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    cgk and gbp like this.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The more I read into the current Amazon Fire, I feel webOS has a future. At this point nobody wants to buy it.
    The solution is licensing. HP can continue to upgrade and license it. I see Lenovo, HTC, LG and even Sony can use it. If anything they can use it to negotiate with Microsoft. There are options. The question is , can HP has bandwidth to do it? or just goodbye ?
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Back on the topic, why would Amazon wants to own a Mobile OS ? Here

Does the world need another mobile OS? — Mobile Technology News
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12