Hi all,

FYI...see link.

tke care,

jay

Hewlett-Packard: Still In The Game
    September 27, 2011 | about: HPQ

Hewlett-Packard: Still In The Game - Seeking Alpha

The HP Problem

Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ) is not headed for an impending bankruptcy, suffering from a significant lack of revenue or earnings, and it does not have a growth problem. HP has a board problem and a leadership problem. Although Meg Whitman lacks experience running a company the size of HP she does possess the leadership qualities to guide the massive ship.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    the article is missing more details on webOS.
    Nothing anyone prints will matter unless MW has the courage to reverse HP's actions of the past 9 months, all of which were sanctioned by the BOD.

Perhaps there is some hope that she will do just that, but, honestly, Lane's promotion to executive level on the BOD puts him as almost co-CEO with her, and, its quite obvious by now to most who are paying attention, that HE is the primary reason for HPs change of focus and irrational actions over the past ew months.

Only a very small sliver of opportunity exists that MW will be able to usurp his hold on the BOD and get back to common sense, not to mention "want" to do just that - she and 4 other BOD were appointed by LA within the past 9 months, and obviously owe him and Lane their allegance.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but, I do believe that it will be the shareholders who have the most to lose, and at some point, may do a total revolt on HP management, if they don't shape up and fly straight.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Nothing anyone prints will matter unless MW has the courage to reverse HP's actions of the past 9 months, all of which were sanctioned by the BOD.

Perhaps there is some hope that she will do just that, but, honestly, Lane's promotion to executive level on the BOD puts him as almost co-CEO with her, and, its quite obvious by now to most who are paying attention, that HE is the primary reason for HPs change of focus and irrational actions over the past ew months.

Only a very small sliver of opportunity exists that MW will be able to usurp his hold on the BOD and get back to common sense, not to mention "want" to do just that - she and 4 other BOD were appointed by LA within the past 9 months, and obviously owe him and Lane their allegance.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but, I do believe that it will be the shareholders who have the most to lose, and at some point, may do a total revolt on HP management, if they don't shape up and fly straight.
    Wanting to be like IBM is where the problem is. Why would HP want to be like ten years after IBM transformed ? They will be 10 years behind. In mobile space, they just got started. They are not far behind others. they got the best OS. Which needs to be tuned. That and More hardware form factors will provide a steady revenue if they continue to push webOS. I guess its now ray lane's game to get back at ORACLE. To me , forget webOS , HP is toast.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

The more I look into this, the more it becomes clear to me that she's simply intended to me a mouthpiece for Lane and allow him to pull strings from behind the scenes. Even if she did manage to revolt, that would simply come across as more in-fighting at HP and help the share price to tank further. Even if she *did* revolt and decide to bring back WebOS in some big way (unlikely) - you'd be looking at the middle to end of 2012 for a 'rebirth' - way way too late to make any difference.
    Wanting to be like IBM is where the problem is. Why would HP want to be like ten years after IBM transformed ? They will be 10 years behind. In mobile space, they just got started. They are not far behind others. they got the best OS. Which needs to be tuned. That and More hardware form factors will provide a steady revenue if they continue to push webOS. I guess its now ray lane's game to get back at ORACLE. To me , forget webOS , HP is toast.
    Lane wants HP to be like Oracle. Isn't that where he came from? However, Oracle was #1 in their software market segment before buying Sun. Sun's problems were, to a large degree, management-related. With Hurd at the helm, Oracle's hardware division will eventually get turned around.

HP's problems are more complex. HP is #1 in PCs and printers, but these are not high margin businesses. Oracle dropping support for Itanium hits HP in the only area where they have relatively unique, and high margin, products. All other HP enterprise server products are built with commodity components, and will be subject to margin erosion over time.

HP's long-term vision is very different now than when Mark Hurd was in charge. I don't see how webOS fits into this strategy.

Dan Donovan

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Dan Donovan
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    Lane wants HP to be like Oracle. Isn't that where he came from? However, Oracle was #1 in their software market segment before buying Sun. Sun's problems were, to a large degree, management-related. With Hurd at the helm, Oracle's hardware division will eventually get turned around.

HP's problems are more complex. HP is #1 in PCs and printers, but these are not high margin businesses. Oracle dropping support for Itanium hits HP in the only area where they have relatively unique, and high margin, products. All other HP enterprise server products are built with commodity components, and will be subject to margin erosion over time.

HP's long-term vision is very different now than when Mark Hurd was in charge. I don't see how webOS fits into this strategy.

Dan Donovan

See that's the problem,

They don't own solid software to compete with ORACLE. ORACLE mints money from database,application package, Peoplesoft, JD Edwards ....

OTOH their services and consulting business is a joke compared to IBM's consulting.

They will end up as a second tiered player struggling for survival. The magic wand is Autonomy, but I am skeptic about it. Not many enterprises will spend money to get "Structured Data" at this point.

Their best bet is to continue to make smaller profits on PC + add tablet business to it while making fat margins from Printing. Over a period of time , say three years , they can break even to sell improved tablets for $300.00.
    See that's the problem,

They don't own solid software to compete with ORACLE. ORACLE mints money from database,application package, Peoplesoft, JD Edwards ....

OTOH their services and consulting business is a joke compared to IBM's consulting.

They will end up as a second tiered player struggling for survival. The magic wand is Autonomy, but I am skeptic about it. Not many enterprises will spend money to get "Structured Data" at this point.

Their best bet is to continue to make smaller profits on PC + add tablet business to it while making fat margins from Printing. Over a period of time , say three years , they can break even to sell improved tablets for $300.00.
    I totally agree. They can't compete with oracle because oracle makes their own products and promotes their own products. Their margins are great. Moreover, well established as a primary rival to SAP in ERP segment, literally has a lions share in database market and Oracle has complete end to end solutions with applications, middleware and database. What does HP offer?
    And I don't understand - profit is a profit even if a buck is coming in consistently month after month, why would I want to stop that? HP is good in hardware and has a great market share, build on your strength rather than be someone you are not. Continue cloud storage, infrastructure management etc. You were born original, don't die as a poor copy.

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post

Dan Donovan
    Hi all,

OK let's say your right...at this point perhaps HP dumps webOS cheap just to be done with it....if the price is good someone will want it....HTC's head point blank said they are looking into buying an OS perhaps they will get a GREAT price and buy it...this may not be the end of webOS!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group