Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Jut wondering...

No discussion of them since the whole debacle.

Ari's twitter, 8/25:
    "Whatever ... Everybody's back in the office working on webOS. I could not find a parking slot around the software team building!"

and on 9/23:
    "WebOS allhands. Good team and cool demos."

And where's Ruby? Why hasn't Topolsky interviewed him yet?
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Jut wondering...

No discussion of them since the whole debacle.

Ari's twitter, 8/25:
    "Whatever ... Everybody's back in the office working on webOS. I could not find a parking slot around the software team building!"

and on 9/23:
    "WebOS allhands. Good team and cool demos."

And where's Ruby? Why hasn't Topolsky interviewed him yet?
    This is good news, in a way. I have hopes as long as they keep working on it.
    Kerris was useless from the beginning anyway, he never did anything. So Kerris is doing what he's always done. Jaaksi... who knows. And Rubinstein? He's probably rotting away in the bowels of HP.
    Where's Phil?
    Using QuickOffice's new editing capabilities to pound out résumés?
    everyone is polishing their resumes and networking
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Kerris was useless from the beginning anyway, he never did anything. So Kerris is doing what he's always done. Jaaksi... who knows. And Rubinstein? He's probably rotting away in the bowels of HP.
    So what should kerris do ? develop apps ? He was there to build relations with developers.

If anything this is a good sign that webOS software side is still progressing. The webOS doctor for ATT and Verizon proves that they did not abandon software.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    So what should kerris do ? develop apps ? He was there to build relations with developers.

If anything this is a good sign that webOS software side is still progressing. The webOS doctor for ATT and Verizon proves that they did not abandon software.
    I think they are just getting stuff out that was already in pipeline. And working till they get fired or move somewhere else.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

"you guys keep building those apps, I'm sure one day, someone will come up with some hardware to run them on! Honest!"

He's have to be a hell of a salesman to make that one fly....
    C-Note and kkhanmd like this.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    "you guys keep building those apps, I'm sure one day, someone will come up with some hardware to run them on! Honest!"

He's have to be a hell of a salesman to make that one fly....
    Oh well, what would he do ? tell them stop developing for webOS ?
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Oh well, what would he do ? tell them stop developing for webOS ?
    Of course not, he's there to try and convince people to keep on doing it, that is what he is paid for - my point is that it is a very difficult sell to make in the present climate when there is no hardware partner on the horizon and Amazon are gearing up with the Fire.
    Actually, WebOS is not a bad developer ecosystem at the moment. If your app is decent it has a good chance of selling through a lot of customers due to the low app count. It is much less competitive than an iOS or Android market. Unless your app is a huge seller in the bigger ecosystems, a good app could conceivably make even more money in the WebOS space. There are 1,000,000 TP units out there that are starving for app content...
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Actually, WebOS is not a bad developer ecosystem at the moment. If your app is decent it has a good chance of selling through a lot of customers due to the low app count. It is much less competitive than an iOS or Android market. Unless your app is a huge seller in the bigger ecosystems, a good app could conceivably make even more money in the WebOS space. There are 1,000,000 TP units out there that are starving for app content...
    There has no evidence to support this beyond random statements from small scale developers, the latest stats haven't come out yet, but even at webOS's peak (which was a couple of years ago at 3.5 million users), it was running at something like -90% of base* for average downloads per unit. The last figures gave it -95% of base and I don't see a significant change given the historical context and the fact that the app store on WebOS is significantly overpriced compared to the competition.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...0907172156.jpg

* the base being the iOS store, the top rated store is actually the Ovi store.
    There has no evidence to support this beyond random statements from small scale developers, the latest stats haven't come out yet, but even at webOS's peak (which was a couple of years ago at 3.5 million users), it was running at something like -90% of base* for average downloads per unit. The last figures gave it -95% of base and I don't see a significant change given the historical context and the fact that the app store on WebOS is significantly overpriced compared to the competition.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...0907172156.jpg

* the base being the iOS store, the top rated store is actually the Ovi store.

Really, I need to state this again? Average yearly revenue on Apple's store on 2010 was less than 650$.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Really, I need to state this again? Average yearly revenue on Apple's store on 2010 was less than 650$.

OK, if we switch to discussing average yearly revenue - are you saying that the average yearly revenue on WebOS is higher than this figure? Source?*

* actually considering the WebOS app store payment system seems to be falling to pieces - I wonder if any actually is able to work that out?
    Last edited by CGK; 09/29/2011 at 03:56 PM.
    And he didn't even do that much. He kept fumbling when developer issues came up and were brought out in the open. Developer Relations has not improved under his watch. I've said this many times before: the only thing Kerris does is tell developers what they want to hear. Beyond that, he doesn't do much for developers.
    OK, if we switch to discussing average yearly revenue - are you saying that the average yearly revenue on WebOS is higher than this figure? Source?*

* actually considering the WebOS app store payment system seems to be falling to pieces - I wonder if any actually is able to work that out?
    I don't know the figures, I do know my experience with low profile apps, andfrom that experience, numbers can't be too different.

Users tend to think about App Store and Market like gold mines, and them aren't. Them are atrocious, from a dev standpoint. If you have a hit, granted you're going to make tons of money, but that's a handful of apps, rest of them go into oblivion because the offer size, and the low margins. And if you think that's good, stop and think again. These numbers show that in the supposedly most profitable market out there, half of the apps don't get that number, and there will be about a half of the rest that will not get the 1000 bucks mark. Yearly. I would love to see how many of those 350.000 apps are alive right now, and how many of them will be next year (and as alive, I mean supported).

18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I don't know the figures, I do know my experience with low profile apps, andfrom that experience, numbers can't be too different.

Users tend to think about App Store and Market like gold mines, and them aren't. Them are atrocious, from a dev standpoint. If you have a hit, granted you're going to make tons of money, but that's a handful of apps, rest of them go into oblivion because the offer size, and the low margins. And if you think that's good, stop and think again. These numbers show that in the supposedly most profitable market out there, half of the apps don't get that number, and there will be about a half of the rest that will not get the 1000 bucks mark. Yearly. I would love to see how many of those 350.000 apps are alive right now, and how many of them will be next year (and as alive, I mean supported).

I'm not sure we are actually disagreeing about anything? My point wasn't that the iOS market was a gold mine but that the idea that people are making a lot of money off the WebOS app store because it's so small is a bit of a nonsense. Maybe it's different with communities but most of the WebOS developers I've spoken to say they are lucky to cover costs and this is a labour of love rather than something that expect to make a profit on.
    But this is always a half truth story. I was talking this morning with a friend about this. App Catalog is supposed to be a hell of slownes, but he has dowloaded TextOne to his Galaxy tab today (I've done the same, and using the same wifi network), and the App Catalog started faster on my Pre2 than on his phone, and reding here comments from people, all is smooth on Android land.

The same with multitasking. He tells me (and he never used a webOS phone) that Android not always reopens the apps in the Previous state when switching them. Another one (Pre Minus buyer, with no experience more than webOS 1.X) that he likes webOS more than Android, because of Sinergy and the multitasking paradigm (both of them are irrelevant, reading from some people words).

I've seen iPhones lagging as hell when scrolling the contacts list. Android search lags as hell too (there is always an excuse to this, but on webOS is always unaceptable).

There are always pluses and minus on all the platforms, but I'm tired of reading misleading (or plainly malicious) words about webOS over tech sites and forums.

I'm not sure we are actually disagreeing about anything? My point wasn't that the iOS market was a gold mine but that the idea that people are making a lot of money off the WebOS app store because it's so small is a bit of a nonsense. Maybe it's different with communities but most of the WebOS developers I've spoken to say they are lucky to cover costs and this is a labour of love rather than something that expect to make a profit on.

yeah, and it's the same for me. You can't count Communities as one of those average apps, because it's supposed to be a high profile app, and as that kind of app, on other platforms maybe I could make more money (Not sure if it could have it's own space, as there are first party offerings from Tapatalk themselves).

But first year of Mail Lists it did very good numbers, and at that time, this same talking was in these (and other) forums. The problem here is the same as in other platforms: are you offering something that people would be interested in buying? If so, people will buy it (or pirate it). The main difference is that on webOS your app is visible, unlike other markets, so that lack of App Catalog size compensates that lack of potential market.

Let's say I do a gorgeous twitter client for the Touchpad (best of class, with huge features, and I do it using a third party framefork, so I can move it to Android or iOS easily. I can bet you that if I don't get huge media coverage, I wouldn't notice too much difference between platforms.

I know devs who have moved to Android, and they get worst numbers than on webOS.

Last edited by deCorvett; 09/30/2011 at 06:43 AM.

cgk and mivoligo like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast