Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI....see link.

Take care,

Jay

HP stock hits 6-year low after Whitman named CEO .

HP stock hits 6-year low after Whitman named CEO - WSJ.com

NEW YORK Hewlett-Packard Co.'s stock sank Friday to its lowest level in six years, as investors worried that new CEO Meg Whitman isn't the right person to turn the company's fortunes around.

The stock was down 90 cents, or 4 percent, at $21.90 in midday trading. In the morning, the stock hit $21.50, its lowest level since May 2005. Broader market gauges were up slightly after a week of volatile trading.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    even lower than the 2008 crash!
    kjb86 and Rnp like this.
    HP needs someone with:
    • no ties to the status quo,
    • nerves of steel,
    • the humility to admit (and change) errors.
    • a Board of directors that is willing to be patient
    • a management team that will not do an "et tu, Brutus" on the CEO
    • a CEO who has a vision and is willing to make the bold moves

Don't know if Ms. Whitman qualifies on any of those counts. I'm not sure if anyone does at this point. But I hope she will.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    HP needs someone with:
    • a CEO who has a sound vision and is willing to make the bold moves
    Needed a qualifier with that last item. Leo had a vision and it was anything but sound.
    Vij likes this.
    The board of directors has absolutely no reason to be surprised, but they probably are.

It wasn't Apotheker that the markets disliked, they hated the decisions made by Apotheker. Whitman clearly supported those decisions when they were made, and she continues to support them today. Repeating the same actions and expecting a different result is insanity, yet that is exactly what the board has done.

Now that Whitman has the job, her first pronouncement has been a complete disaster. She's said there will be no decision on the status of the hardware division until the end of the year.

The existing uncertainty as to the status of the hardware division has given HP's competitors a tremendous leg up in sales to enterprise customers. I expect the best and brightest of HP's enterprise sales force are likely looking for the exits. Whitman's entry gave her a golden opportunity to stop the bleeding, instead she prescribed 4 more months of bloodletting.
    Titan078 likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    The board of directors has absolutely no reason to be surprised, but they probably are.

It wasn't Apotheker that the markets disliked, they hated the decisions made by Apotheker. Whitman clearly supported those decisions when they were made, and she continues to support them today. Repeating the same actions and expecting a different result is insanity, yet that is exactly what the board has done.

Now that Whitman has the job, her first pronouncement has been a complete disaster. She's said there will be no decision on the status of the hardware division until the end of the year.

The existing uncertainty as to the status of the hardware division has given HP's competitors a tremendous leg up in sales to enterprise customers. I expect the best and brightest of HP's enterprise sales force are likely looking for the exits. Whitman's entry gave her a golden opportunity to stop the bleeding, instead she prescribed 4 more months of bloodletting.
    Hi all,

While you are most likely correct....I did post this elsewhere on this site....

She is CEO for less than a day...it is likely that killing off the proposed buyout has a million strings attached such as the deal between ATT & T-M has...IF she does want to kill it would that take more than 24 hours on the job?

The same thing with webOS or a sale of or spinning off of the computer division...would choices such as these take more than 24 hours..

These are the cards that have been dealt to her....Meg is know for making deals...it's quite possible she may remake some of the proposed deals....

She wasn't my first choice for the job of CEO....but These are the cards that have been dealt to US...so I like to look at the glass half full thank you!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    After her's appointment I'm starting to think Leo was maybe more pro PSG and webOS than we may think. I don't know, guy was maybe forced to unwillingly carry HP's transformation and to shut webOS. Maybe that is reason for sloppy PRPRPR $from$ $his$ $side$. $We$ $don$'$t$ $know$, $but$ $somehow$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $thing$ $this$ $CEO$ $will$ $be$ $good$ $for$ $webOS$ $future$.
  8.    #8  
    Hi all,

Putting my fondness for Palm/webOS aside....so far Mark Hurd was right the future of computing is mobile..if HP is whining over low income from the computer division, that will only get worse if they ignore the trend...

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    HP needs someone with:
    • no ties to the status quo,
    • nerves of steel,
    • the humility to admit (and change) errors.
    • a Board of directors that is willing to be patient
    • a management team that will not do an "et tu, Brutus" on the CEO
    • a CEO who has a vision and is willing to make the bold moves

Don't know if Ms. Whitman qualifies on any of those counts. I'm not sure if anyone does at this point. But I hope she will.
    reading other posts i think the issue isnt who the CEO actually is, a lot now seem to realise that the CEO is nothing more than a powerless figurehead for the board who control everything.

they could make Darth Vader the next CEO and wed still heard the same old talk.
  10.    #10  
    Hi all,

I think we need to ad a qualification to that list for CEO and also for the board members

Grow a backbone!

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

While you are most likely correct....I did post this elsewhere on this site....

She is CEO for less than a day...it is likely that killing off the proposed buyout has a million strings attached such as the deal between ATT & T-M has...IF she does want to kill it would that take more than 24 hours on the job?
    The Autonomy buyout probably cannot be stopped. Autonomy is a UK based company. The UK courts have overwhelming rejected most attempts by buyers to terminate these kinds of deals.

As such, I'm not criticizing her for failing to terminate that deal. I'm criticizing her for prolonging the self-inflicted instability regarding the hardware division.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    The same thing with webOS or a sale of or spinning off of the computer division...would choices such as these take more than 24 hours.

These are the cards that have been dealt to her....Meg is know for making deals...it's quite possible she may remake some of the proposed deals.... She wasn't my first choice for the job of CEO....but These are the cards that have been dealt to US...so I like to look at the glass half full thank you!
    You're giving Whitman far too much leeway. She wasn't dealt cards, she was one of the dealers.

Whitman was on the board of directors when these decisions were made. Whitman very clearly approved of Apotheker's disastrous decisions, both when they were made and now. She reinforced her support of these decisions just yesterday.

According to some media reports, she has been angling for Apotheker's job for over half a year. She and the board have had abundant time to reanalyze the decisions the put the company into its current state.

She had a golden opportunity to bring stability to a teetering company. HP is losing enterprise business every single day because of the gross uncertainty about HP's hardware division.

She could have fixed that, she did not. She has already failed her first large test.
    Sapient2k7 and greenoyster like this.
  12.    #12  
    The Autonomy buyout probably cannot be stopped. Autonomy is a UK based company. The UK courts have overwhelming rejected most attempts by buyers to terminate these kinds of deals.

As such, I'm not criticizing her for failing to terminate that deal. I'm criticizing her for prolonging the self-inflicted instability regarding the hardware division.

You're giving Whitman far too much leeway. She wasn't dealt cards, she was one of the dealers.

Whitman was on the board of directors when these decisions were made. Whitman very clearly approved of Apotheker's disastrous decisions, both when they were made and now. She reinforced her support of these decisions just yesterday.

According to some media reports, she has been angling for Apotheker's job for over half a year. She and the board have had abundant time to reanalyze the decisions the put the company into its current state.

She had a golden opportunity to bring stability to a teetering company. HP is losing enterprise business every single day because of the gross uncertainty about HP's hardware division.

She could have fixed that, she did not. She has already failed her first large test.
    Hi, You are more than likely correct, however we don't know how she actually voted on anything...

She more than likely did vote for the buy out and to kill webOS...but it is possible she was picked for CEO b/c she voted against or spoke out against these issues....she not my cup of tea & never has been, but I'm willing to give her a little rope that apparently is more than what Wall St wants to do.

Take care,

Jay
    I don't think Whitman is the problem. *I think it's her indicating that she may execute the same strategy the Apotheker was executing. *I think investors want HP to stay in the PC business. *I know I want them to grow webOS. *Whitman has given hints that she is more of the same.*

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't think Whitman is the problem. *I think it's her indicating that she may execute the same strategy the Apotheker was executing. *I think investors want HP to stay in the PC business. *I know I want them to grow webOS. *Whitman has given hints that she is more of the same.*

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Whitman was on the board of directors when the disastrous decisions were made.

She's not only part of the problem, she and the board are the problem.
    BREAKING NEWS: Whitman ousted as CEO, replaced with Peewee Herman. Wall Street rebounds around HP!

Could he be any worse?
    Pr3mier likes this.
    if Meg head hadnt said "we are continuing down the path that Leo started us on " stocks would have finished higher . i believe that is the reason they dropped again.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Vij, Cantaffordit and Rnp like this.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    BREAKING NEWS: Whitman ousted as CEO, replaced with Peewee Herman. Wall Street rebounds around HP!

Could he be any worse?
    LOL, take care, Jay
    Come on People give the new CEO a chance, I think she might surprise you.
    Whitman has experience as a CEO During her ten years with the Ebay she oversaw expansion from 30 employees and $4 million in annual revenue to more than 15,000 employees and $8 billion in annual revenue.

Let not start out so negative
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Whitman was on the board of directors when the disastrous decisions were made.

She's not only part of the problem, she and the board are the problem.
    actually she joined in January. She wasn't part of the decision, she was running for office.

Meg Whitman, 4 others join HP board in big shakeup - SFGate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    actually she joined in January. She wasn't part of the decision, she was running for office.

Meg Whitman, 4 others join HP board in big shakeup - SFGate
    No, you've got the timeline very wrong.

The disastrous decisions were only made 5 weeks ago, mid August of 2011. Whitman was on the board when HP decided to kill WebOS.

Far more disastrously, Whitman was on the board when they decided (for some insane reason) to publicly announce that they didn't know what the hell they were going to do with their massive PC group. Just within the past week, she has reaffirmed her full support to both for those terrible screw ups.

Worst of all, on her very first day of work Whitman announced that the uncertainty regarding the PC division would continue for another 1/3rd of a year!!

That was her first major decision. A decision to let HP's competition continue to decimate their enterprise business.

There's little doubt that Whitman supported these decisions while a member of the board of directors and she clearly supports them now. As such, Whitman shares nearly as much blame as Leo for the firm's current predicament.

HP has one of the most dysfunctional boards of directors of any major US company, and they've just appointed one of these hugely dysfunctional board members to lead the company. It's no wonder that the markets are down on HP's future prospects.
    Last edited by Toasters; 09/25/2011 at 09:50 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast