1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Let's just hope her deal making can bring webOS & webOS hardware back into the fold and a deal to bring some kind of pipeline to webOS....It's abundantly clear that the future in computing is various forms of mobile computing, and area that HP had little success in...That's where palm/webOS was supposed to come in.

With all of the focus on HP and HP's board, plus the simple fact that Leo's tenure battered HP's book value so much...that HP has to move forward into mobile computing.

Unless HP wants to break up the computing division into small chunks, no one is interested in acquiring such an enormous maker of computers....certainly not in this economy.

That leaves keeping the computing division and turning toward more profitable aspects, by making products in the area that people are now using....or by spinning the computer division into a separate division and then making products that people actually want to use....this second choice may look better on HP's books...however it fraught with bringing in more management people but these management people can hopefully micro manage HP back into a quality and innovative computer designer and manufacter....

I don't fault Meg for wanting to say noting specific right now...even if she wants to undo or renegotiate the merger, (as most of Wall St feels it's way over valued), she has been the CEO for just a few hours...there may be extremely expensive or difficult terms for HP to not go thru with the buyout...

The same thing with webOS...frankly I think she needs a little time to decide what to do....for better or worse, Meg is know as a deal maker...unless they intend to write off what must be at this point well over 1 & 1/2 BILLION DOLLARS...that they spent just a year ago...she will need to make deals in order to try to undo the mess their in....

After all, Laptops, desktop and Netbook sales have slowed down quite a bit..so that does as I said earlier require HP to be in mobile computing as the world continues to become more and more mobile...

Mark Hurd was right to buy webOS, he looked at it as:
    1. tech HP needed b/c HP has always been weak in the mobile area
    2. to expand the ability of HP's products to work seamlessly together by having a common thread, that being webOS.
    3. Just woning webOS was also meant to be a club to hit MS over the head with...HP wanted to have webOS as a negotiating point over MS...After all HP is the world's largest computing company and fees to MS are astounding.
    4. He also wanted to expand HP's presences into other aspects of our lives...for example they wanted to take webOS and have it work for a diagnostic system in making smart washing machines, dryers, dishwashers and even heating and AC units....the idea was also to have home appliances "speak to each other and to repair people".

Let's see if Meg has that kind of vision....

Meg also has a battered reputation, her last year or so at eBay was far from a pleasant one...her relationship with suppliers, divisions that she merged into eBay and her won board had gone very sour....

This could be a good point for us, Meg has to try to sure up her image and the election season in California and especially Silicone Valley batter her image even further.....

We all have to hope for the best...frankly I think HP should work overtime to try to license webOS out....b/c firms such as Samsung and HTC are very strong on hardware but their on OS have been problematic....or that she acquire a hardware maker of their won who can work more seamlessly with HP and make designs of products that are groundbreaking and frankly for lack o another word...to make "cooler" products using webOS.

It's not just my fondness of palm and webOS that makes me want to succeed with webOS it's also that HP has become a dinosaur grave yard were products go to die or die a slow death...IE: Alien-ware, iPaq, Compaq and now webOS...HP reputation is so horrendous that she NEEDS to pull a rabbit out of the $1.5 billion down the toilet!

OK enough of my very late hour ramblings...

Take care and enjoy the article.

Jay
    September 22, 2011, 5:41 pmMergers & Acquisitions
    In Whitman, H.P. Gains a Prolific Deal Maker
    By MICHAEL J. DE LA MERCED

In Whitman, H.P. Gains a Prolific Deal Maker - NYTimes.com

Now that Hewlett-Packard has confirmed that Meg Whitman is its new chief executive, itís worth wondering what kind of leader she will be.

There are plenty of clues in Ms. Whitmanís nine-year tenure as eBayís chief executive. During that time, she built the online market place from a 30-employee minnow of a company to a 15,000-employee whale with $8 billion in annual revenue.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    HP neither have guts nor the patience for webOS. Me thinks its not going to happen. Especially when the board is with Leo's vision. But I know what will happen in six months. They will completely destroy webOS. The Autonomy deal will not bring revenues. HP will be acquired by ORACLE.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    HP will be acquired by ORACLE.
    Hi all,

At this point I agree with you and perhaps Oracle buying out HP might not be so terrible considering the fact that HP has gone thru 7 CEO's in the last 11 years and the board was too lazy, too fat and stupid to meet Leo before they handed over the entire kit and caboodle. Sadly, well that's one way to get Mark Hurd back in charge of webOS!

Take care,

Jay

PS the way Leo ran things he should have to pay HP a golden parachute.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

At this point I agree with you and perhaps Oracle buying out HP might not be so terrible considering the fact that HP has gone thru 7 CEO's in the last 11 years and the board was too lazy, too fat and stupid to meet Leo before they handed over the entire kit and caboodle. Sadly, well that's one way to get Mark Hurd back in charge of webOS!

Take care,

Jay

PS the way Leo ran things he should have to pay HP a golden parachute.
    I doubt Mark Hurd will bring webOS back. Besides ORACLE is all buddies with Apple.

I have an excellent solution. Apple should buy webOS , the whole thing hardware + software.
    Apple can make it a business tablet. And that would be end of Microsoft for sure.
    webOS is a gnat flying around Meg's head -- she doesn't care at all about it. It was a failed venture. They will take what they can from Palm (mostly just patents) and add it to their war chest for possible future litigation defense or offense.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    webOS is a gnat flying around Meg's head -- she doesn't care at all about it. It was a failed venture. They will take what they can from Palm (mostly just patents) and add it to their war chest for possible future litigation defense or offense.

Hi all,

The only problem is with that Gnat is that it cost at this point well over $1.5 BILLION and in less than a year and a half...plus webOS is STILL drawing salaries but has no products in development, none planned and no licensing fees...

My guess is that HP will try to sell it to satisfy all the lawsuits against HP for lowering it's value...by dumping webOS and selling then not selling...then spinning off...then not spinning off...huge chunks of HP...then they weren't sure what they were doing after they caused HP to lose 1/2 it's value in 2 months...

You never know about stockholder lawsuits...a number of years ago a few stockholders sued Paramount for lowering the value of it's properties.....No one in the industry thought the lawsuit had any merit....yet...

This was done b/c Paramount has had so many poorly written movie and TV show spin offs of Star Trek they Paramount was sued. The lawsuit was resolved by forcing the studio to make another movie and to hire a well known Director/screen writers....plus the lawsuit stipulated a bottom figure for the cost of making the movie...

Paramount was floored that they were forced to make a movie...the were sure they were going to win and get the case kicked to the curb...

That's how J J Abrams got to be director of the last Star Trek movie...it grossed more than I think the last 4 Star Trek movies....that's also how it had a budget well in excess of the last 3 or 4 movies before it...funny thing is that movie grossed almost $400 million before video, pay per view and sales to Premium channels.....

Leo and the board might be guilty of some kind of malfeasance, for starters they have been thru 7 CEO's in 11 years and never interviewed Leo and never even gave it a moments thought...

A lot of people and institutional investors lost hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars in just the past few weeks...trust me the stockholders are going to want some scalp over this.....

perhaps forcing HP's hand over webOS for one thing...

take care,

Jay