Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    caring doesnt sell unfortunatly.
    I'm one of those saying that selling is no longer enough. Self-centered business practices are playing a part in the collapse of our current system. We're going down, no changing that at this point. But we can take some lessons from it all, and possibly do a better job next time of making commerce work for the greater good somehow.

I just read that Meg Whitman plans to carry on with Leo's strategy.
    And investors aren't taking too kindly with that decision and are talking with their wallets: US HOT STOCKS: H-P, Nike, Mosaic, Tibco Software, Cavium - WSJ.com. From the article:
    Shares fell as investors are apparently not pleased that the H-P board, after scrambling to fire Leo Apotheker as CEO, scrambled to replace him with Meg Whitman, and then decided to pretty much do what Leo Apotheker was going to do anyway.
    Yeah, I don't get it.

Maybe the idea was valid. It might have been smart to spin off PCs, cancel webOS, etc. I actually agree in theory about some of the reasoning behind their decisions last month.

Their biggest issue, which probably was Leo's fault, was it was announced very poorly. I agree with what they said on the conference call about that. The problem though, is that the way that it was announced permanently ruined any chances of that being a successful strategy. The execution has already been so mangled that the only way to make significant change in the eyes of investors / shareholders is to reverse that strategy.

I mean, maybe the best analogy I can come up with (though slightly convoluted too ) would be if you were on a cruiseliner with a small crack in the hull. You decide that since it's going to go down eventually, the best idea is to get on a liferaft and go out in a new direction, except as soon as you get ten feet from the large boat, someone stabs it with a pair of scissors and it quickly deflates. No matter how good of an idea it was in the first place, nobody in their right mind would continue in this new direction, you clearly would go back to the slowly sinking ship and figure out something else.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 09/23/2011 at 12:57 PM.
    hi all,

FYI. See link.

Take care,

Jay

The Soap Opera at HP Continues
    By MARK VEVERKA

The Soap Opera at HP Continues - Barrons.com

Once the pride of the technology world, Hewlett-Packard has been stumbling for more than a decade. Is newly appointed CEO Meg Whitman up to the job?

Hewlett-Packard's board of directors clicked the "buy it now" button last week and tapped current director and former eBay chief Meg Whitman to replace Leo Apotheker as CEO. Apotheker was fired after 11 disastrous months on the job, during which he cut revenue guidance three times. HP (ticker: HPQ) shares have plunged 47% during his tenure, closing Friday at $22.32.

HP's decision to tap Whitman was made hastily, without conducting an outside search or naming an interim CEO, raising the eyebrows of investors and tech analysts who have observed more than a
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hi all,

FYI....See link.

Take care,

Jay

The Board Giveth, the Board Taketh Away

By Paul Hartsock
    TechNewsWorld
    09/24/11 5:00 AM PT

Technology News: Tech Buzz: The Board Giveth, the Board Taketh Away

A year after they put him in the driver's seat to replace a CEO that had left under a cloud of scandal, HP's board members have ousted Leo Apotheker. His short yet tumultuous reign at HP will be followed by that of former eBay chief Meg Whitman. Meanwhile, Google gets grilled, Netflix says sorry and Facebook gets another nip'n'tuck.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    <<threads merged>>
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123